iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EWP 9"x12"x50'+

Started by Dave Shepard, April 10, 2014, 07:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

What would you charge for one, if you could provide the log and had a mill to cut it? No, POSTON, $300 is not the magic number on this one. :D I have a log in the yard now that will make a 16"x16"x50'.

edit: this would be for a high quality log, not a knotty scary piece of junk.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

if i had that log,and if i had a mill to cut it, and if i had a customer that needed a beam that size. my price for a green beam would be $ 875.50 f.o.b. my millyard. payment in full up front
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

No idea?  can't wait to see, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

rol, how many of those can you get sawn and loaded on a trailer each month? :D $2/ft will buy you 24' pine timbers around here. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

we can buy ewp all day for .30 bf  24' logs only get  a .20 cent bump in pay. i havent tried buying 50'ers  have bought alot over 30 ' what is the wane tolerance on that size? or clean all 4 sides?

Dave Shepard

It would be clean all four sides. It's only a 15" (bare minimum) tip. I'd probably give a foot or maybe a foot and a half of trim on one that long.

Dave Shepard

I asked one log broker for a price on 25'x25" clear butts delivered to my yard. He wanted $0.75. ::)

ST Ranch

The $875  sounds close to me - which is close to $2.00 per bd ft.  I charge about $1.50 / bd ft for 10"x10" x 20 ft  douglasfir/larch timbers and know that I could not cut a 50' without lots of extra work, so 2.00/bdft is fair.

Brucer - Do you cut much this long over your way? [yellow pine] and if so, 2.00 per bd ft an OK price?
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

hackberry jake

Wholly cow! Ive cut two 22' logs and thats all of those I want! 50'... wholly cow!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WoodenHead

If I calculate correctly, there's 16 x 16 / 12 x 50 = 1067 bdft in that timber.  And it would take about 23-24" diameter log (at the small end) to make a 16" x 16" timber.  For top quality stuff I would probably want $2500 at least for something as specialized as that.  Hopefully you have good support equipment for handling!  :o

But I just looked at the title of the post.  A 9" x 12" x 50' is a little smaller (450 bdft).  Based on prices for timbers for log homes, which is about $8-10 per linear ft of 8" x 12" x 16-24' (finished with a double tongue and groove), $900-$1500 for such a piece might not be too far off. 

scsmith42

I would charge at least $4.00 if not $5.00 per board foot for a 50' beam. Sure, you happen to have a
Log that will make one right now. But what if you did not? Think of the time and costs involved with sourcing something like that.

Anybody that is dropping the coin to build a house or commercial structure that would utilize such a 50' monster can afford 5 bucks a board foot for their main beam.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

barbender

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 11, 2014, 07:15:48 AM
I would charge at least $4.00 if not $5.00 per board foot for a 50' beam. Sure, you happen to have a
Log that will make one right now. But what if you did not? Think of the time and costs involved with sourcing something like that.

Anybody that is dropping the coin to build a house or commercial structure that would utilize such a 50' monster can afford 5 bucks a board foot for their main beam.
X2 How much will it cost you to get another log of that quality?
Too many irons in the fire

red oaks lumber

i find it real interesting the wide range of pricing. i kinda figured i was on the lower end but, never needing to deal with something that big/long i was merely throwing a dart at the wall :D

barbender

The point SCsmith made about anyone that needs that beam in a home is dripping money. You lowball the price and the homeowner pays $10K for a bath vanity without blinking. I'd charge just as much as I could.

Dave Shepard

rol, you may have a better supply of white pine than I do. Have you sawn a 50' timber? It takes a lot of time to do it right. Even with a 45' mill, it can take several hours to saw out a timber that long and get all the slab wood and side lumber cut to a manageable length.

I have never priced anything based on what I perceive that a customer can pay. Well, maybe I've done some work really cheap if I know someone is struggling, but I would never gouge someone just because they've got some bucks. These timbers are expensive because the logs are hard to find, you have to hire a trailer truck and a payloader to load them, it takes a special mill to mill them, and a lot of time to get it right. That adds up. Oh, and don't mess up a log, I suspect that cuts into profits in a hurry. :D

scsmith42, I think $4 to $5 a foot is probably not far off for retail, especially if I was cutting 16"x16" timbers. More than likely, they will be smaller, like 9"x11", or 10"x12".

barbender

Dave, I wouldn't want to gouge anyone either. I tend to undercharge most of the time- considering everything that goes into sawing a beam that long, I would error towards charging too much. There is a lot of risk involved trying to get it right, if you screw up you lose more than you stood to gain. Say you priced it to make a profit of $500, and you screw up and have to get another 50' EWP. How much will that cost?

hackberry jake

could a chainsaw mill cut one that long and maintain a straight beam?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Nomad

Quote from: hackberry jake on April 11, 2014, 05:32:37 PM
could a chainsaw mill cut one that long and maintain a straight beam?

Yes, with care.  But ya better pack a lunch; it's gonna take awhile!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 11, 2014, 07:15:48 AM

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!