iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks

Started by Woodboogah, April 10, 2014, 01:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

enigma
This link will help you sort them out.. as they are different species.

http://www.oes.org/html/how_2_identify_different_ticks.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

enigmaT120

Thanks for that link.  I think (after reading that) that we only have the black legged ticks around my place, the ones like deer ticks.  But like I said, different life stages. 

I wish I knew why they don't bite me.  I'd patent it!

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Alcranb

My turn in the bucket. I haven't been feeling well since Tuesday night. Sore all over, no appetite, cold sweats. Went to the walk in this morning, Dr. looked at me after reading my sheet, asked if I spent any time in the woods. Told him I cut logs for my sawmill. His response "you've got Lyme disease. I'll get you started on an antibiotic but let's talk about that mill"
Real hot ticket, late 60's guy who likes playing with timber frames. Told me someone my age comes in with those symptoms this time of year he doesn't even bother with bloodwork. It's a guarantee it's Lyme. Two weeks of meds, should start feeling better in a few days. Can't wait!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

JohnM

Quote from: Alcranb on June 14, 2014, 11:05:11 AM
My turn in the bucket. I haven't been feeling well since Tuesday night. Sore all over, no appetite, cold sweats. Went to the walk in this morning, Dr. looked at me after reading my sheet, asked if I spent any time in the woods. Told him I cut logs for my sawmill. His response "you've got Lyme disease. I'll get you started on an antibiotic but let's talk about that mill"
Real hot ticket, late 60's guy who likes playing with timber frames. Told me someone my age comes in with those symptoms this time of year he doesn't even bother with bloodwork. It's a guarantee it's Lyme. Two weeks of meds, should start feeling better in a few days. Can't wait!
Alcranb, that stinks! :(  Sorry to hear it.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

Al take care there. I want to see that you get better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Good that your Dr. got you started, but I'd be for backing up his decision up with the blood work.
You just might have something else. And I'd think the Dr. would be wanting to back up his decision as well.

I had the tick bite and pulled it off. Had the red ring around the area, and even then I had to insist that my Dr. do the blood work. Seemed the insurance co. was resisting any extra blood tests, likely to save money. Turned out 'no lymes'. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

Sorry to hear about your disease but sometimes you just can't beat experience whether cutting timber or a doctor.

Had my dad in the hospital when he first started going downhill. Doctors were running several test and I guess they have to so they are covered. Older LPN came in and reviewed his symptons. Said "he's got a urinary tract infection". Day and half later after many tests he had a urinary tract infection.

Now I don't blame the Doctors. They have to cover their buttocks because of lawsuits.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Handy Andy

Only thing our government should do is get rid of the protection of the fish and game for deer.  You should be able to shoot one with just a hunting license or maybe even get rid of licenses.  I'd shoot them for dog food.  And the ticks would probably go away, as here in my area the ticks have increased with the deer population.  And we never even heard of lyme disease until a few years ago.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on June 14, 2014, 12:37:52 PM
I had the tick bite and pulled it off. Had the red ring around the area, and even then I had to insist that my Dr. do the blood work. Seemed the insurance co. was resisting any extra blood tests, likely to save money. Turned out 'no lymes'.

One of the many problems with the bacteria that causes Lyme disease is that it can hide in the soft tissue in your body and that's out of the blood stream. So even the best of blood tests can give false negatives. Plus in some cases like people like me that had the Lyme vaccination, the blood tests give false positives.

So the blood tests are not reliable and the doctors have now been instructed to give out the antibiotics if you have just any two indications of Lyme.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

stoneeaglefarm

For sure get the blood work, I am doing second round of Antis and feeling real good after a couple of years of IGNORING what was wrong, Chronic Lyme can be a complete change of life, Do the test, Do the Anti, Keep in shape, I have had a lot of helper from folks on this site dealing with the Lyme, Its amazing what a little tick can do to you, I am just getting back on my normal logging feet after 2 years, Good luck and stay with it.

Thank You Sponsors!