iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Future table and..?

Started by dustyjay, April 09, 2014, 07:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyjay

I can't take credit for sawing this, though I did fell it, skid with horses, and deliver to the mill. This was Months ago. Truthfully, I'd just about forgotten about these logs and this project.

I had to go over to the mill yesterday. Nobody was in the office, so I walked out to watch Ken mill. Watch and learn. My first sense was the smell of oak- I love that smell. Then I get to watch Ken mill a super nice, big cant of oak, sawing off wide boards, then 8/4 to get a heartwood post. In this 5 minutes of sawing I got a fair amount of mill envy, and oak envy too "Some lucky SOB's getting some nice oak!"  I said to myself. It was the last log so I helped Ken clean up and hung out to chat.

This is my forgotten oak! I'm the lucky SOB! :o 8) :) What a nice feeling that was. I'll be making a trestle table (with a twist). I think there's enough left over that I might make my kitchen cabinets out of it. Some of the boards are 15" wide 5/4 or 6/4 I think, carefully stacked and stickered today.

I'll put up more pictures when I get it home and start opening the bundle. I'm not sure when I'll get to building the furniture. ANy other suggestions of what to use this for?
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

beenthere

Quotebug cant of ok,

Had me going there for a while... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dustyjay

Quote from: beenthere on April 09, 2014, 07:44:33 PM
Quotebug cant of ok,

Had me going there for a while... ;D

Spell checking

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marks four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin not sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased to no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My checker tolled me sew.

m wood

Oh boy DJ, your fittin right in  :D. UHHH ,yes there might be some oak left after making your table :).  very nice forgotten oak you got there.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dustyjay

Not great pics from a camera phone, but here's some wide oak. It's on the bottom of the pile, and will be sealed on the ends tomorrow. I hope to avoid too much cupping.

sandhills

That's gonna be one big table!  If I was you I'd just plan on building it in place  :D

Lud

Good looking stock!  Wide boards like that can make some great chests.  Cut an end, then front, then other end and then back so the grain wraps around.  Size it by what a single plank can make the lid.

Danny can probably tell you how to do it with dovetails! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!