iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Prices

Started by Woodboogah, April 09, 2014, 07:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

I am curious what people are getting for mill price for pine on 1/4" rule.  See how much it varies. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

jwilly3879

$250/mbf straight through , down to 8", same as 20 years ago.

Woodboogah

I have not been around logging for that long but same price for twenty years, that stinks.  I wish fuel was the same!!

240b

Yep, 250 straight though.  Same as when i started 20 years ago.  except the trucking was less, diesel was .58 cents a gallon and the stumpage was almost half..  bottom of the food chain and all that you know. I really dont care about cutting pine anymore..

treeslayer2003

you guys are talking about white pine I take it?. yellow pine down here was up to 400 10 years ago for large 250ft avg n up. went down to 250 n now up to 300. we get paid by weight, 12lbs a bft. housing market, blah blah, we got one large mill left n that is the problem. fuel? that is a problem we cannot change. when it was 250 before we paid a dollar now 4 a gallon. I would take 20 year ago price to get 1 dollar fuel lol

Woodboogah

I guess the price everywhere stinks. Fewer mills and more production less demand.  Seems that is what's happening. 

jdtuttle

I'm buying a couple loads for 300/mbf delivered about 1 mile from site.
Have a great day

coxy

that's the only nice thing that's good with pine it never goes up or down like the rest  :D :D

jwilly3879

It's nice that it adds up quick and saws easy.

Dave Shepard

My problem is it's worth so little nobody will cut it. I have to buy stumpage to get my timber logs, then I'm stuck with the ugly tops. I guess it's cheap enough that I can run it through the wood boiler. ::) Sometimes I get lucky and can buy some good stuff off of some other persons job and not have to deal with it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

My OWB loves the white pine tops.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

The 50 thousand feet I cut this winter averaged around 350 delivered
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

NS logging

I am getting $320 mbf land run or if I sell it for grade and put a some pallet logs in the biomass pile, it can get up to $350

smwwoody

$275/mbf  or $45/ton delivered to the mill  unless there are a lot of big logs it is not worth sorting from the pulp wood
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Dave Shepard

Is that for EWP, or Southern Yellow?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

smwwoody

southern yellow pine
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treeslayer2003

Quote from: smwwoody on April 09, 2014, 07:24:13 PM
southern yellow pine
was it high down there around 10 years ago?

smwwoody

yea it was twice that 10 years ago
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treeslayer2003

this stuff used to bring good

treeslayer2003

I much rather work poplar now.....or even gum. who'd a thunk it lol

smwwoody

i think that may be a little heavy

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treeslayer2003

only a lil bit lol.......5 miles from mill...back roads. can't allways be that way.

Dave Shepard

What type of pine is that treeslayer2003?

smwwoody

I dont want to hyjack this thread but i need to vent.....

in 1990 i bought a new 3/4 ton truck as i was ready to go back into the woods full time.  I paid $13,000.00 for the truck.  and just quit a job that paid $22/hour.  I averaged $350/mbf for my logs on the landing and $25/ton for pulp wood on my landing.  Off raod diesel was $0.62/gal.

today that truck is around $55,000.00  and that same job i quit pays $13.50/hr.  I now average $410/mbf delivered to the mill for logs and $29/ton for wood delivered.  off road diesel is $3.62/gal

the last new skidder i bought was in 2000  it cost me $98,000.00  to replace it today it is going to cost me $215,000.00

WHAT WENT WRONG???????

I don't know if i can keep going like this  >:(
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

beenthere

If I say, this will go to the restricted forum.
But 20% of the population is eating out of the trough now. Not back then.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!