iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need a tutorial

Started by Small Slick, April 08, 2014, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Slick

I am going to saw board and batten siding out of white pine. What would be my best practice with regards to getting quality boards from the logs?  Specifically how do I saw around the pith?  Can I just make a cant 8" wide and through saw or should I box the heart and get most of my boards from the sapwood?

John

WDH

Saw the log to center the pith in the final cant.  Then saw through keeping the pith in the center of the boards.  Never split the cant at the pith with the pith on one side of each board.  The juvenile wood in the pith area will shrink just a bit longitudinally while the more mature wood on the other side of the board will not, and you will get boards that side bend like a "C". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

John, I've always just cut the pine for max yield if you get boards that are a little questionable set them aside for batten. Wide boards look good for B&B, its going to be rustic anyways. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

You did mention 8" cants.,so maybe that's all you have. But I made a horse run in with 10 inch bords and 4 inch battens,I used hemlock. I cheated a little on one side. Some of the boards was only 9½ inches and a few was 9. Can only tell inside.

I hung my hat up for sizing. I drove by a place for months on the way to work that has used these widths. Finally I saw someone outside and stopped.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Small Slick

A more specific question would be: if I can get 17" cant and cut it through and through, then make two 8" boards from that series of cuts, will I have a problem with warping of the four center boards that are closest to the pith?

John

Magicman

Quote from: Small Slick on April 09, 2014, 09:22:38 AMif I can get 17" cant and cut it through and through, then make two 8" boards from that series of cuts, will I have a problem with warping of the four center boards that are closest to the pith? 
Yes. 

Take side boards off of each side until you get an 8" cant (pith relatively centered) and then saw through.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Remle

Magicman is spot on about sawing. The thing to decide next is how thick to make the boards?? If I cut for some one else, of course I cut to their liking, most want 4/4. For my own personal use I cut to 7/8" or just use the one inch scale - the blade width. The added bonus is you get 5 boards from the size cant cut to 4/4. So what do U all cut ?

thecfarm

I cut mostly full inches,boards and 2x's. I just find it's easier with my manual mill and manual up and down.  ;D But I do have marks for 1½" that I have done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

I saw a lot of white pine for board and batten.  WDH and Magicman are correct.  If you want 8" wide boards, saw a cant that width and then slice the cant all the way through.  I always saw 4/4 unless someone requests 7/8".  I usually saw 12" or 10" boards from a 17" log (at the small end) depending on sweep and/or other defects.  Otherwise I find the side flitches are a bit too wide to handle.  Smaller flitches are easier to deal with.   ;)

shinnlinger

10 inch board, 4inch batt.  BIg overhang so it never gets wet, no finish.  I sawed for yield and side nailed boards and center nailed batts.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2364&pid=84622#top_display_media

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!