iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Multi-species Disease/Fungus

Started by makemesoup, June 22, 2004, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makemesoup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The site is located in Clare county (upper LP of Michigan)
The owner lives in Warren.   (an area I cover)

He has been planting trees on old ag fields for 10 years or so.
According to him a few years ago, in spring he noticed a "bruising" of the bark on his silver maples (about 8 yrs old), then the new growth turn black and wilted, it progess the same year down the tree branches killing all the leaves.  Then he could easily peel off the bark, noticing a mush that resembled baby food.  A month or so later the tree dried up, the braches died and snapped off easily.  The next year he only had epicormic brancing at the base.  
The next year it spread to young oaks and northern spies in the near vicinity.  The apples were 8-9 ft tall with 2" dbh.  Black walnuts near the vicinity were unharmed.
has anyone come across something this aggressive and can spread cross species, and if so do they know what it is?

Also, has anyone seen diplodia hit white pine?  They are supposedly immune, but these have very similar symptoms.
This blight has been rampant in Oakland and Macomb counties for some time now.
Sal - Community Forester - The Greening of Detroit

SwampDonkey

Sounds like cytopsora canker to me, caused by various fungal species. But the disease does not spread between species. Rusts though, generally have alternate hosts, like the cedar-apple-rust or white pine blister rust. Apple rust has a stage on apples and roses and another stage on junipers and red cedar.

Cytospora canker

Cedar apple rust

White pine blister rust
White pine gets blister rust where ever you have currants and gooseberries near by. There are 5 spore stages in the life cycle of this rust.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

makemesoup

Thanks, SD.  Most welcome info! :)
Sal - Community Forester - The Greening of Detroit

SwampDonkey

no problemo makemesoup

Welcome to the forum
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!