iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big splitter

Started by r.man, April 07, 2014, 10:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

I don't recall seeing this picture before today and I don't know why you would want one but for those of you who want a big splitter, here it is.
http://www.cord-master.com/products/firewood-processors/monster-splitter/
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WmFritz

Is that an April Fools joke?
An advertising display maybe?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Freedom6178

------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

r.man

As far as I know it's real but I hadn't thought of April Fools. I have seen a shop made rail splitter that could be used for regular wood as well, the splitting wedge was pinned in place and could slide. It was not even close to the size of the Cord King. I can't think of a practical application for something that size but I would like to stand way back and see it work. I suppose it would be good advertising that you could take to timber shows and fairs.

r.man

Just went through the Cord King site again and tacked on to one of the saw videos was the monster splitter in action used to make oversized logs fit through the processor.

stumper

This is so that undesirable wood can be split so it fis in a whole tree chipper.  Remember is some areas wood is expensive to dispose of, and why leave a half cord of wood to rot when you could sell it.

jargo432

I watched a show where they built million dollar log homes.  Maybe they would use it to split large logs for home building applications.
Jack of all trades.

thecfarm

That thing is huge. I did not dare to ask the price.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Oliver1655

IIRC Timber Wolf makes one also.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

r.man

Timberwolf does make a 10 ft splitter, which is big, but the Cord King is available up to 16 ft.

jwilly3879

Might come in handy for splitting oversize pulpwood. Around here it is 24" max, some of the pine we had to split with a saw were 36"+, that takes awhile.

r.man

It comes with a remote control, which I approve of because I wouldn't want to stand near it when it was working.

jargo432

Quote from: r.man on April 10, 2014, 06:31:12 PM
It comes with a remote control, which I approve of because I wouldn't want to stand near it when it was working.

I can just see some redneck with the remote about 100 yards away saying..."alrite yall watch this"
Jack of all trades.

heat maker

I'm looking into a buying a Cord King Processor, so they sent me a price list with all there products. The 10 ft Monster splitter with 99hp JD capable of splitting logs that are 72 inch diameter list for $68,000, 72,000 for a 12 footer, 76,000 for a 14 footer, and 80,000 for a 16 footer

johndeerkiwi

Having just ringed up 80 ton of large old man pine with a chainsaw, that giant splitter  would have been handy!!
And I found a railway spike imbedded in  the middle of a log too ::)
"Many a man has failed to see what is too simple for a complicated mindset, and too inexpensive for an unlimited budget"

r.man

Heat maker, I sent you a PM.

cutter88

ive saw some large ones aswell they use them at mills and on site for splitting oversize white pine pulp
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Al_Smith

If I were a betting man I'd bet that huge splitter had a very limited market .

80,000 dollars ,my word .There can't be that much split rail fence in the whole world . :D

r.man

I was thinking the same thing Al. I could see a mill building one out of leftovers and their own labour but that factory machine would have to be used an awful lot to justify that price.

petefrom bearswamp

I knew a logger in the 80s that built one like this one to split large Hemlock logs that were too big for th pulp mills.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

Oh if you were a junk yard dawg with some imagination you could build one .The biggest problem would be finding a huge cylinder .Fact the only thing that I can think of would be a large cylinder from a large hydraulic crane and I'm certain that would be costly .I mean like a kings' ransome .

r.man

There wouldn't be many cylinders that size scrapped but realistically who else would want one? If there is no market for something the price is slightly above scrap weight price.

Al_Smith

You could find one in a salvage yard for heavy equipment but you'd pay dearly for it .There used to be a huge yard down off of I-70 near Dayton Ohio and I'm certain there are others.

Then again it wasn't long ago the Chinese were hell bent to capture all the scrap steel in the world so those yards might be nothing but empty fields now devoid of junk .

Dave Shepard

I have the dipper stick cylinder off of a 50 ton P&H. We cut up the dipper and sent it and the bucket to the scrap. I bought the cylinder for $200.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

r.man

Dave the norms among us have no idea what you said. Please enlighten us.

thecfarm

I betcha Al knows what he means.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Yeah I do too but no sense preachin to the choir, he needs to reach the heathens. That would be me and I don't understand.

r.man

Forgot about just finding this one, almost a given that a machine the size of these needs a dedicated cherry picker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOfqSbsccPg

Dave Shepard

Sorry. :D A 50 ton P&H is a big old ugly excavator. The dipper stick is the last part of the boom that the bucket is attached to. We use the machine strictly as a crane for lifting large blocks of marble. The dipper and bucket got in the way of setting the blocks. Not to mention it upped our lifting capacity by about 5 tons. :D

The dipper is the part on the right, and the cylinder on top is the one I bought. It's about an 8' stroke, and probably an 8" bore. That rock was weighed at the quarry. It was 30,800 pounds. That machine just plays with it. :)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Al_Smith

I've seen some giant cylinders in my life time .The largest was a huge press owned by Rockwell in Kenton Ohio used to press axle housing for semi trucks .

That thing had a center 72" plus with 4 48" around the side .In it's day that press made by Lake Erie once pressed nose cones for Nike missles .It was in it's day the largest hydraulic press made .I think it had a combined electric motor load of nearly 1000 HP .I forgot the actual tonnage but it was huge .

The longest cylinder I ever saw was a 12" by probabley 20 feet .Used for a high pressure filter built like a wafer heat exchanger used in a chemical plant .

backwoods sawyer

When I worked in the production mill we had what was called a slabber as part of the chip system. It was an open top and bottom box that was 4'wide 2' deep and 16' long with a pair of 8" rams to run it back and forth. The bottom was 8" below  the box and had a single horizontal cutter 8" off the bottom, this cutter ran the length of the boxes travel and had three vertical cutters that the log was pushed thru. A vibrating conveyor moved the slabs on thru the chip system. As the box came back the blocks would drop down to the bottom, dump a few more in and make another pass with a large infeed chain you could move a lot of wood. We had gotten in some low grade WRC and the crew asked if they could buy fence post. Two of us pulled a dozen units of split rail style post out of the conveyors in one shift, all nice uniform 6"-8".
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

lynde37avery

the big splitter is made for splitting pulp logs. like an over sized diameter pine log for pulp to get it down to the size to go in the chipper/grinder.
Detroit WHAT?

VT_K9

My father and I located an I-beam with wedge and 4' piston from an excavator on it. We were looking for the exact same pieces to weld one up to split 4' wood for my outdoor furnace.  We could handle 52" wood, but the piston did not push up to the wedge. We moved the wedge back to about 42", which is the max piston stroke. We have found some large knotty pine which was too much for the piston to push over the wedge. We use a PTO hydraulic pump to power the piston.  We cut the logs to about 40" and load them onto two I-beam rails which allow the wood to be rolled by hand onto the splitter. A cord goes pretty quick with it. I have a friend who built one for a local logger to split large logs down to fit the chipper.

dvrwjh

I talked to the owner at cord king.
That splitter is real. It is used to bring oversized logs down to manageable size for what ever application you are using.

A pic of a Big custom Split-Fire made in canada.
2014 Cord King M 2030 Wood Processor
2013 Ford F 550 Dump truck, Switch N Go System
2008 Ford F 350
2014 Kubota L45 TLB
2014 Split-Fire HT 3265 Custom Splitter
2009 6x10' 5T dump trailer
2014 20'  7T float trailer
Stihl M660
Stihl M260
Stihl  AV 032, 034.

47sawdust

That spare tire cracks me up!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!