iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Popular Logs.

Started by BargeMonkey, April 07, 2014, 09:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I have never bothered to cut much popular or basswood but my next log lot has quite a few nice sticks of popular on it. Where are you guys in the notheast shipping it ? Does it pay much ?  Feeding the Wagner / Bailie's beast and hard maples paying pretty good.

thecfarm

Pulp prices was up on it,no idea about logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Im going to check around, be a shame to pulp this stuff. My pulp trucker said there isnt that much @ finch right now, I try and stay away from pulp as much as I can.

treeslayer2003

tulip poplar? very good export market down here for large tulip.

BargeMonkey

Ive never found much of it down here good for logs, this lot has 12+ nice looking tulip popular on it. Its funny, in my area I know of 1 white oak tree, red oak and hemlock everywhere. I guess way up north they have more of it, we ususally walk away from it or throw it in the owb stove wood for our sawmill.

luvmexfood

Down my way you see a lot of poplar. I have been getting $450 per thousand for #2 grade and for #3 I get $375 per thousand. Then downhill from there. Since I am cutting on our own land I take some culls that most people would not fool with just to get rid of them if they are near the pasture. I call them "dip logs". One of them will buy you a couple of cans of dip.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

treeslayer2003

price range 350 to 600+

BargeMonkey

Quote from: luvmexfood on April 08, 2014, 08:02:44 AM
Down my way you see a lot of poplar. I have been getting $450 per thousand for #2 grade and for #3 I get $375 per thousand. Then downhill from there. Since I am cutting on our own land I take some culls that most people would not fool with just to get rid of them if they are near the pasture. I call them "dip logs". One of them will buy you a couple of cans of dip.
Lol. I need all of those I can get. A can of stokers is 38 bucks now. Screw ny. Yeah alot of these are nice, if I cant ship them I will saw them myself. We get alot of people looking for it used as trim or floor boards. They look nice after going thru the logosol.

chester_tree _farmah

They pay well for pulp up here in Maine. Too far away I am thinking. No one up here is buying poplar logs or veneer any more - odd as it seems. Basswood is worse. No market and they don't want any of it in a hardwood pulp load. Stuff is a joy to cut compared to spruce or fir if u r running saws.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Woodhauler

Quote from: chester_tree_farmah on April 13, 2014, 09:44:07 PM
They pay well for pulp up here in Maine. Too far away I am thinking. No one up here is buying poplar logs or veneer any more - odd as it seems. Basswood is worse. No market and they don't want any of it in a hardwood pulp load. Stuff is a joy to cut compared to spruce or fir if u r running saws.
Polar logs sell every winter. Check the local log yards. Guy in brooks maine buys for apple ladders, pays 500 or more roadside.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

BEEMERS

I don't know about where you are at but here in Michigan most people group a few species together and call them "popples".I cut Big Tooth Aspen..which 99 % here say is just a dirty old "popple" and they don't even want it for firewood. I get $450  a thousand board foot for veneer..thats on the landing..they cover the trucking..and I get a $110 per log cord delivered for everything else. pulp excluded.. I don't do enough and what I cut doesn't produce much pulp,nor do I have a market.

chester_tree _farmah

Thanks. Good to know. The local yard hasn't taken them for a few years now. 500 per thousand? That's a great price...
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Jeff

As Beemers said, pretty much everything here can get lumped into that local term of Popple.  The as aspens, big tooth and quacking, as well as yellow "poplar", (poplar is not so common right here, though I have one within 10 feet of my property line that fills our pool with leaves and catkins every year.) :D

Aspen paid my waged for many many years. We have a large market here for "popple".  Sawlogs, veneer, and pulp for the osb and board plants, and chips for paper and co-generation plants. but again as Beemers says, you have to have enough to get into a market, or be able to sell small quantities to someone that has a contract somewhere.

The sad truth about our markets here, is they are effected positively by someone else's tragedy.  Hurricanes floods, tornadoes and any natural disaster elsewhere in the country most often causes a positive demand here for aspen products.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BEEMERS

$450 a thousand..but it has to be perfect logs at least 13" inside the bark.And theres not much of that left here where Im at. I have a post in forestry with pics of the aspen I cut this winter..I didn't sell veneer this winter..the area I was in had a bunch but I couldn't get in the woods...not at a profit anyway..until March and then I had less than a month to bust out what I could before the woods started turning to mud and frost laws came on..so not knowing what my window would be..you don't want frost laws on and wait anytime for the veneer buyer to get there...Aspen(popple) will dry and split..if that split goes all the way across..the most vavuable veneer logs are not anymore.So my buyer for saw logs..for pallets..paid my $95 a cord on the landing and he covered trucking..Im guessing $16-$20 a cord...so I let the veneer go this year.
This year was one of if not the hardest on record..we didn't see more than like 10 days with a high of 20 degrees for 100 days! most days highs in single digits or low teens..and several days never hit zero plus 3 feet of snow.check my post in logging to see the trees Im talking about.

coxy

Quote from: Jeff on April 14, 2014, 11:55:37 AM
As Beemers said, pretty much everything here can get lumped into that local term of Popple.  The as aspens, big tooth and quacking, as well as yellow "poplar", (poplar is not so common right here, though I have one within 10 feet of my property line that fills our pool with leaves and catkins every year.) :D

Aspen paid my waged for many many years. We have a large market here for "popple".  Sawlogs, veneer, and pulp for the osb and board plants, and chips for paper and co-generation plants. but again as Beemers says, you have to have enough to get into a market, or be able to sell small quantities to someone that has a contract somewhere.

The sad truth about our markets here, is they are effected positively by someone else's tragedy.  Hurricanes floods, tornadoes and any natural disaster elsewhere in the country most often causes a positive demand here for aspen products.
ok   jeff what the heal is quacking never heard that name before     must be cause I live in ny  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jeff

Quacking is like popular.    :)    (quaking and poplar.)

Or I could make something up.   Quacking Aspen has lots of widow makers, so you have to watch out, or if one falls you must Duck or you will Quack your head. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BradMarks

Jeff: I like the Duck reference! and we refer to our fast break football offense as the Quack Attack. Go Ducks!

luvmexfood

I actually lucked up this January on some Poplar logs. The power company had a company come in to cut the right away for the lines. Some poplar that was 36" at the butt and some not so good. I winched out 3 loads for my trailer that couldn't be gotten otherwise. The rest were left log length along with two smaller walnuts and one smaller cherry.

Anyway, all I had to do was to buck to length and since they were so big got the log yard to come with their boom truck. Took them about an hour and half from the time they left yard till they were loaded and back. They charged me just a little over a hundred dollars. All told I got around $1300 out of the logs. Let me tell you as bad as the weather was in January it was a lifesaver for me. Things were getting tight.

luvmexfood

Good one Jeff. Quacked me up. Ha.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: Woodhauler on April 14, 2014, 07:35:49 AM
Quote from: chester_tree_farmah on April 13, 2014, 09:44:07 PM
Polar logs sell every winter. Check the local log yards. Guy in brooks maine buys for apple ladders, pays 500 or more roadside.

Holy mackerel.  Can't give the stuff away here. 
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Ken

Our "popple" (poplar) as it is affectionately called by many includes trembling (quaking) aspen and large toothed aspen.  Forgive me for not remembering the latin equivalents.   The log market for poplar saw material is pretty much non-existent here however pulp markets and OSB markets for poplar is very strong.  Wasn't that many years ago the markets were weak for one of our fastest growing deciduous trees. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

coxy

Quote from: Jeff on April 14, 2014, 03:21:14 PM
Quacking is like popular.    :)    (quaking and poplar.)

Or I could make something up.   Quacking Aspen has lots of widow makers, so you have to watch out, or if one falls you must Duck or you will Quack your head. :)
good one boss  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D thanks for clearing that on up  ;D

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Ken on April 14, 2014, 07:21:10 PM
Our "popple" (poplar) as it is affectionately called by many includes trembling (quaking) aspen and large toothed aspen.  Forgive me for not remembering the latin equivalents.   The log market for poplar saw material is pretty much non-existent here however pulp markets and OSB markets for poplar is very strong.  Wasn't that many years ago the markets were weak for one of our fastest growing deciduous trees.

Populus tremuloides= quaking aspen
Populus grandidentata= big tooth/large tooth aspen
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ga jones

The mill your selling to will give u 700mbf for veneer as long as there bucked for resale
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!