iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My HF Track Extension and first cuts

Started by StimW, April 07, 2014, 07:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StimW

I wanted to be able to mill 16' wood so I built a trailer frame with an extension for my new Harbor Freight Mill.
I only wanted to move Mill around my property so the axle just sits under the frame so I can remove it and put the Mill on the ground or wood ties.
I got some oak logs and some smaller scraps so I have been practicing on the scraps.
The piece on the Mill was pretty rough but I cut a 2" slab off of it.

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

thecfarm

Looks good. I bring my logs to the mill. I have no wheels under it. That is what I wanted,works good for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Looking good.  When you are sawing with the wheels on, you will need some stabilizers or blocking under that center of the mill to keep it from sagging.  Logs are heavy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Small Slick

That looks great!  The addition of a trailer brings a new ease to running the mill. If you add 3 jacks to each side then it will be really solid and stiffer. I have a similar set up. I use the last two jacks and the hitch jack to get it level then support it with the other four.

Nice mill.

John

YellowHammer

Looks like a first class fabrication job. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Small Slick

Yellow hammer is the one who taught me to level with three jacks.

John

goose63

Make sure the jacks in the middle are out far enough so the head will pass by I found out the hard way now I have to cut them off add a piece of 2x4 tube put the jacks back on your mill head looks like my wood land
good looking job 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

justallan1

Nice job. I like how the bunks are higher than the carriage rail, it would make a great place and easy job of making hold down clamps for traveling. Slide a tube through a bunk and clamp it to the carriage. Just an idea.

Allan

21incher

Looks good. By raising them up it sure makes it a lot easier on your back.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

Nice job on the extension!  That looks like it will work out great,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

StimW

Thanks everybody, it helps to have a Fabrication Shop!

It will have to be on the ground for anything long and heavy.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

goose63

My trailer is 22 feet long with 6 jacks and the tires on the ground it should hold heavy logs ( I hope) will find out in time :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!