iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chris and Meghan's Excellent Adventure! NFCT 2014

Started by celliott, April 07, 2014, 06:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

Very real possibility we will get tired of oatmeal....
And the freeze dried food as well.
The reason for the oatmeal for all of our breakfasts, is that it is simple and fast. We boil a minimal amount of water, pour the water right into the packet, and eat out of the packet. Throw the packet in the trash, no cleanup at all. Energy for the day.
The freeze dried food is decent enough. Meghan is obviously more fond of it than I am  :D But again, it is quick and simple, with minimal clean-up, which is just what you want after a 25 mile day on the water and you're setting up camp at 7PM.
We will both be looking forward to when we stop into towns and can buy fresh food. A salad, burger, and bread will have never tasted so good  8)

Every thread on the FF gets to food eventually, this was a natural transition though  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Mooseherder

You can catch a meal of Trout everyday at camp and smoke some for the next days lunch.   :)

thecfarm

I hope the weather will be good and the flies won't bother you too bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

We are off Saturday morning!
I need to get paddling. The last few days I have been stressing out over the planning. I just feel we are missing something, even though we most likely aren't. I'll keep worrying until we get started too, I'm sure.
Last minute things to do, running into some hiccups, all good stuff I'll look back upon and smile about, but not now.

I made one more post on the blog before we head out- http://chris-and-meghannfct2014.blogspot.com/2014/06/countdown-to-old-forge.html

I honestly am not too sure how well we can keep the blog updated. It may be updated when we rest in Vermont, and that'll be it, I don't know. I would like to keep it updated but if the trip is going along smoothly, or a "blog stop" just doesn't fit in, then we aren't going to go out of our way. Also, when we do have a new post, I probably won't come onto the forum to add a link to a post.
We both will be keeping journals, and taking photos. There will be a detailed account of our journey, after we finish  :)

My Dad is going to paddle the first day with us. He is working on section paddling the trail, and the Fulton chain is a section he hasn't done yet. It will be nice to have him with us for the start, he's a familiar paddling partner, and it will be reassuring before we are off "on our own" for the rest of the trip. Not the entire trip, he is going to try and paddle some of the Vermont sections when we are staying at our Grandparents camp. And we aren't totally alone either, we have an awesome support crew of both our Parents and Grandparents that will be ready to help us if we need it (been reassured of this multiple times in the past days)

Is it Saturday yet  ???  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Magicman

I certainly wish you and Meghan the best.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You might forget something. So what if you do!! As I say,I have to do something twice,to know how to do it the second time.  ;D
Have a great time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: celliott on June 12, 2014, 10:27:23 PM
We both will be keeping journals, and taking photos. There will be a detailed account of our journey, after we finish  :)
Looking forward to it, Chris. :)  I kept a journal during a backpacking trip to Alaska (wrote it like a letter to my wife), I read through it once in a while and relive the whole trip.  Be safe and have fun! 8)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

celliott

Thanks alot everyone!
Our families had a nice steak dinner together tonight, as a final send off. We depart at 6:00AM tomorrow morning!
And we are as ready as we'll ever be. I've calmed down and accepted that we're going ready or not and everything will be just fine  :)

Farewell for now Forestry Forum!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Hey everyone!

We are back in Vermont. Taking a couple rest days at my Grandparents camp, then getting back at it.
I am thankful for my Dad keeping the blog updated for me, with what he can glean from a few texts or a brief call every couple days. I made a fairly lengthy post detailing our last couple days and added a few pictures.
We are both feeling good about the trip, doing well, and are excited to keep going.

http://chris-and-meghannfct2014.blogspot.com/2014/06/rest-days.html
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Den Socling

thecfarm

Something you do will remember for years to come.

celliott

We are back!
Finished Saturday the 26th, could have been done sooner, but we thoroughly enjoyed the last week of the trip.
I am going to be detailing the gap in our trip where we had no contact on our blog, from Jackman ME to Fort Kent ME. It will be more picture intensive (everyone likes pictures :) )

Quote from: Den Socling on June 27, 2014, 06:08:49 PM
What are you paddling?

Den, we were paddling a 16' Old Town Penobscot, royalex material. A good all around canoe that had seen thousands of miles before this trip.

Here's a link to the most recent blog post

http://chris-and-meghannfct2014.blogspot.com/
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Hilltop366

Congrats on the successful trip!

I enjoyed following along but didn't miss having to do the carries!

celliott

Yeah, there was some serious carries.
Wait for the next post when I detail the mud pond carry. What an adventure that was  :)

Oh, I did get oatmealed out... Meghan didn't, but I skipped oatmeal the last few days. Just sick of it, wanted bacon and eggs and pancakes and syrup too bad.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Chris,

Did you follow the Allagash or the St John in Maine?  If it was the Allagash did you get to the old logging tramway and locomotive sites?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

celliott

Quote from: WDH on July 30, 2014, 09:11:34 PM
Quote from: celliott on July 30, 2014, 05:44:11 PM
Oh, I did get oatmealed out...

You have restored my faith in humanity  :D.

Meghan went out and bought more today. After spending 43 days in a tent together, I guess I still don't understand that girl  ::)

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Hilltop366

Quote from: celliott on July 30, 2014, 10:53:38 PM
Quote from: WDH on July 30, 2014, 09:11:34 PM
Quote from: celliott on July 30, 2014, 05:44:11 PM
Oh, I did get oatmealed out...

You have restored my faith in humanity  :D.

Meghan went out and bought more today. After spending 43 days in a tent together, I guess I still don't understand that girl  ::)

Well if you learned anything..... ;)

celliott

Quote from: Southside logger on July 30, 2014, 10:43:29 PM
Chris,

Did you follow the Allagash or the St John in Maine?  If it was the Allagash did you get to the old logging tramway and locomotive sites?

We followed the Allagash onto the St.John.
And yes Sir, we did the tramway carry, definitely the most enjoyable portage I have ever done. Rusting logging era history everywhere, and at the end, two huge steam locomotives, what a sight to see.
Also at Churchill dam, they had a history depot, kind of a small museum. Lots of captioned photographs, memorabilia, stories, quite an interesting place.
AND- this will make member "Loggah" happy- We were able to find two old lombard loghaulers on the side of the Allagash, down an unmarked path. There was a note on our map about them, but not other maps I've seen. A steamer and I think a diesel powered one, just left in the woods.

Yes, pictures to follow  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Here's some teaser pics of the historical logging equipment  :)

I'm gonna have to find a good photo sharing website once I get them all ordered and organized. Any suggestions?

The boilers used to power the cable-tramway between Eagle lake and Chamberlain lake

The tramway as an educational display

Steam powered lombard loghauler remnants

Diesel (or gas?) lombard loghauler

Tramway information- 1\2 million board feet of logs per day! And 100 million board feet to it's credit in the 6 seasons it operated!

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

JohnM

Congrats to you both, Chris!  Haven't had a chance to check the blog but look forward to it when I do. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

celliott

Gonna try out this new "mention" function.
@loggah  you are the resident lombard loghauler expert, had heard about\seen these lombards on the Allagash?

Works now @Jeff  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Jeff

After you typed the @ did you get a drop down giving you options as you typed, and then select from the list?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

loggah

Chris,back in the early 70's we got a few parts of those machines !!!! ;D they were in a field then!! Cunliffe Depot,were Will Cunliffe had his logging operation back in the late 20's early 30's.  Both those machines had been cannibalized for years. The gas lombard is a very rare machine,it has a 6 cylinder engine in it that was actually built by Lombard !!!! he only made a few engines and they were prone to blowing the cylinders off the crankcase,to high compression,and vibration. If you looked carefully at the engine you would have seen the blacksmith repair angle brackets thru the cylinders to the block!!!! ;D You guys are having a nice trip,the first time i was at Cunliffe the river was still having a ice out  and was about 15 ft above normal,made quite a canoeing experience!!!  ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!