iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The sycamore removal project

Started by VictorH, April 06, 2014, 09:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictorH

We have a large - perhaps huge sycamore tree that we decided needed to come down.  It stood about 85' tall.  I forgot to get a photo before I began to limb it.  The first step was to remove the tree house my oldest son and I had built some 10+ years ago.  Forum rules say no pictures it didn't happen  :D  - so here goes

The trunk measure 46" across the small point and 53" across the wide.  I used a Husky 455 rancher with 18"bar  to do the limb work and a Stihl 460 with a 24" bar to take the trunk down.

Dave Shepard

You need to get that guy quartered and on the mill. 8) I see that one is pink in the middle. I had two sycamore logs turn pink, after they were sawn, even the sawdust turned pink.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

VictorH

I do plan to saw up that butt log.  I've already sawed two limb logs off of it.   ;D  Most of the limbs were too snaky so they are firewood.  I've got to order a ripping chain to break down that log to get it on the mill.
This was the main reason for taking it down.  This was about 45-50' up on the main trunk.  The roots were doing a number on the sidewalk as well.

thecfarm

Is that a lift in the second picture that you used for the limbing?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VictorH

Yes that is my tow-able lift - Simon RZB55.  Has a 55' reach.  Got a steal of a deal on it several years ago.  Paid a liquidation company $990 for it As-IS. Had to go to San Antonio Tx to pick it up, replaced the tires 30 minutes after hooking up to it and when I got it home had to clean the carb and replace a 12 volt high throttle actuator.  Last year replaced the tired 11hp Honda and actually had to replace a 20' hydraulic hose during the removal.  Was sure glad the extension ladder reached the bucket when it blew.   :D :D

Stephen1

A great tree project.
As my brother Inlaw says...if we don't need to work on it ...why would we buy it.. 8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

5quarter

bump.

So lets hear the end of the story... ;) Pics of the lumber?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

You don't have to get a ripping chain just to cut it in half. Ripping chain cuts a little smoother than regular chain but the regular chain will cut a little faster. Or you could just file your regular chain really close to 0°.
Nice log.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!