iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna\Jonsered hybrid mutt

Started by celliott, April 06, 2014, 09:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

That build is beyond cool!! Well done! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sablatnic

Like it, making stuff that works!

Have a couple of Hupajos myself. (Husqvarna, Partner, Jonsereds)

weimedog

Quote from: Caloren on December 19, 2014, 03:35:18 PM
I especially like the bi-colored case.  8) Good job.  ;D

Love it. That's cool! Also a testament to the design and machining tolerances those elves do in the north country.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on April 10, 2014, 04:19:03 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on April 10, 2014, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: celliott on April 07, 2014, 04:46:37 PM
Alright, I guess I really don't have much to lose trying it.
The 371 is a 1994, and the 2171 is a 2004 model. .....

Hardly 1994 - what's the serial number?
Yeah I messed that up, going off the top of my head. The 371 is a 1997, sound better?

Yes, that adds up nicely!  :)
Information collector.

celliott

Thanks everyone, I'm happy with it  8)

Quote from: weimedog on December 20, 2014, 07:08:58 AM
Quote from: Caloren on December 19, 2014, 03:35:18 PM
I especially like the bi-colored case.  8) Good job.  ;D

Love it. That's cool! Also a testament to the design and machining tolerances those elves do in the north country.

I know it!
When you think about it, the cases were made at least 7 years apart, and were two different brands (same thing, but still), but that series also saw an improvement in the case, with the 371\2071 to 372\2171 change, I believe they added some extra webbing near the bar pad area to help support longer bars.
When you consider that, and they still matched up good, that's impressive!
After I had the crank and bearings out of each, and mocked them up together on the locating pins, I saw how well they fit and said, yeah! This WILL work!
Because that was my big question\issue to begin with, would the cases match up well enough to mix them. Answer, YES  :)
Good job Husqvarna\Jonsered!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on December 20, 2014, 08:35:14 PM....
When you think about it, the cases were made at least 7 years apart, and were two different brands (same thing, but still), but that series also saw an improvement in the case, with the 371\2071 to 372\2171 change, I believe they added some extra webbing near the bar pad area to help support longer bars.
When you consider that, and they still matched up good, ....

True, and there was of course a weight increase.  ;)
Information collector.

dennyb

Quote from: celliott on April 06, 2014, 09:49:00 PM
Saws in question are a 2171 and a 371xp.
I know that essentially all the parts are the same\interchangeable.
What I'm wondering is, would there be any issues with mixing crankcases? Half 2171, half 371xp?
Both saws I got as parts saws, both were a bit smashed up. I thought I'd be able to build the 371, but once I looked closer, the front tank mount was broken off the case.
The 2171 had bad bearings, and the flywheel side case half is bad, PTO side good. The 371 is just the opposite- tank mount on the flywheel side is broken, PTO side good.
I'd get new bearings, seals, and gaskets.
My reason for doing this is mostly to see if I can do this type of repair myself without special tools. I know it will be one ugly saw  :D

So, is there anything fundamentally wrong with mixing these crankcase halves?

If the stroke is the same there's not a problem. I still have a 266 bottom with a 670 champ head and piston that I used for snag falling and bucking windfalls before I retired. 

celliott

Quote from: SawTroll on December 20, 2014, 09:20:59 PM

How many ounces ST?

Guess to be ideal, I shoulda got a 371 clutch side case, eh?
I could use a lowtop air filter under the high top cover, that might make up the weight difference in the heavier 2171 case half.
My starter is also reduced weight, with strategically removed fins  ;D
I could also take the west coast big dawgs off, that would shed some weight!

Just pickin'  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

346xp

Good job I have built many husqared saws from 346-2153 to 385-2186 all still running strong

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on December 20, 2014, 10:00:47 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on December 20, 2014, 09:20:59 PM

How many ounces ST?

Guess to be ideal, I shoulda got a 371 clutch side case, eh?
I could use a lowtop air filter under the high top cover, that might make up the weight difference in the heavier 2171 case half.
My starter is also reduced weight, with strategically removed fins  ;D
I could also take the west coast big dawgs off, that would shed some weight!

Just pickin'  :D

Jokes aside  :), according to specs it was about .2 kg (6-7 oz), but that included the different chain tensioner as well.... ;)
Information collector.

celliott

Ah, well I got the front tensioner, so...
NO idea what this saw should weigh  :D
Can't tell an actual difference between weights of this saw, my 372xp and my 2171.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

JohnG28

Let's see some video of the mutt out to play Chris!   ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

celliott

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 22, 2014, 08:35:24 AM
Let's see some video of the mutt out to play Chris!   ;D

I'll have to see if I can get my Dad to take some video. He's got video on his Iphone, I got no moving picture recording device  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

JohnG28

You can upload to YouTube from an iPhone. Then add the YouTube link to your post. Simple! ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Nichols

Yep simple. I want to wee it too!   :)
If Balein' wire and Duck tape ever quit, my whole place is gonna fall apart!

nhlogga

Quote from: celliott on April 06, 2014, 09:49:00 PM
Saws in question are a 2171 and a 371xp.
I know that essentially all the parts are the same\interchangeable.
What I'm wondering is, would there be any issues with mixing crankcases? Half 2171, half 371xp?
Both saws I got as parts saws, both were a bit smashed up. I thought I'd be able to build the 371, but once I looked closer, the front tank mount was broken off the case.
The 2171 had bad bearings, and the flywheel side case half is bad, PTO side good. The 371 is just the opposite- tank mount on the flywheel side is broken, PTO side good.
I'd get new bearings, seals, and gaskets.
My reason for doing this is mostly to see if I can do this type of repair myself without special tools. I know it will be one ugly saw  :D

So, is there anything fundamentally wrong with mixing these crankcase halves?

I have done it. I had no problems with the saw. Still have it. Did it to show guys that think husky is better than jred and vise versa.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

coxy

Quote from: Nichols on December 22, 2014, 11:18:07 PM
I want to wee it too!   :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D just picking fun  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!