iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which end of the log do your start with.

Started by ozarkgem, April 06, 2014, 08:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

This may have been covered before. I always start from the small end. A friend of mine just bought a bandsaw and was told by the Amish sawmillers to start at the large end and toe board the small end up to center. They said that is what Woodmizer says to do in their manual. So have I been doing it wrong all these years? What would be the advantage to it?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

drobertson

There would be less travel time to the shorts that come off the log.
It can at times cause an issue with entry cuts, but this is just my experience.   I would prefer to saw small end first, and sacrifice the time.  Just my way of doing it, not set in stone, but a foundation I try to stay near to.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

drobertson

In the snow belt, chigger belt, ragweed belt ;D  25 miles north of West plains,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodyone.john

With large diameter logs I like to start at the big end,because any trimming required is easy to get done if you have to back up a tad. for smaller diameter then I prefer the small end to me so I can tell what I can/will get out of the log
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

ozarkgem

Know the area pretty well. My first wife was from Rover. Got married there. Your pretty close to Willow Springs then.

boscojmb

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 06, 2014, 08:00:17 PM
This may have been covered before. I always start from the small end. A friend of mine just bought a bandsaw and was told by the Amish sawmillers to start at the large end and toe board the small end up to center. They said that is what Woodmizer says to do in their manual. So have I been doing it wrong all these years? What would be the advantage to it?

Hi,
It only matters on big logs. You don't want to get 3/4 the way through your cut and realize that there was a little bit more "butt swell" than you first thought. Now you are faced with trying to back the blade out of the cut so that you can resize the butt with a chainsaw. I always saw from the small end on all but the largest logs.
John B
John B.

Log-Master LM4

drobertson

Traveled through Rover many a times, lots of ball games in Kosh, and Thayer,   Got to watch for the deer in that neck of the woods!

Peter Drouin

I pick up the log and bring It to the mill and cut it, I don't care which way it Is, The Wood Mizer doesn't care ether. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lyle niemi

thecfarm

lyle and others,why do you start on the end you do??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lyle niemi

Quote from: thecfarm on April 06, 2014, 08:42:56 PM
When I measure the small end I know what size lumber I can make

ozarkgem

you scale from the small end so that is where the lumber starts. I have sawed from both ends but for me the small end seems to be faster. I don't have to walk down and measure the log that way. If you had a laser line then it would be better.

drobertson

Quote from: lyle niemi on April 06, 2014, 08:46:23 PM
When I measure the small end I know what size lumber I can make
One very good reason,  plus the sweep, determines a lot on what to expect,

bandmiller2

Like Peter, which ever way the log rolls on the mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: woodyone.john on April 06, 2014, 08:22:25 PM
With large diameter logs I like to start at the big end,because any trimming required is easy to get done if you have to back up a tad. for smaller diameter then I prefer the small end to me so I can tell what I can/will get out of the log
cheers john

ditto!
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

lyle niemi

My sawing methods might be different from most, I use the small logs for the smaller lumber. I will not take a 20 inch diameter log and make 2x4s out of it, Im thinking that would be a crime

YoungStump

I'm still fairly new to sawing but I prefer to start on the small end for several reasons. It's easier for me to tell what I can make out of a log. If I start from the big end I sometimes have trouble catching the first slabs with my drag back fingers. Also I'm running a remote mill from the hitch end of the sawmill and it seems if I use my rear toeboard to level up a log I forget to lower it half the time and end up with a danG tapered cant!! But I saw some either way because I'm not the one loading the logs.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

drobertson

It needs to be said, that a cut may not be made at the bark on the small end,  just it begins at the small end.
many logs with a butt swell there is a lot of quality short boards off these short boards,  it really boils down to travel time and the quality of entry cut, and how much is allowed for cut off on some variations produced from beginning at the big end, Just my experience,    david

Corley5

I like to saw from the small end with the Corley because if I need to push an end out to make up for taper it's right there and I don't have to walk to one of the other bunks to make the adjustment.  That said I seldom sort and load the logs that way  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GAB

I prefer to start with the small end as I am more apt to see the toe roller up when I turn the log.
OK less apt to make long tapers.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WoodenHead

I generally saw from the small end as well, but I don't sweat it if the log is backwards.  I will purposely saw from the large end if the log has the remote possibility of max'ing the mill.  I've had it a couple times where I started a large log from the small end only to find out the my mill wasn't quite big enough...

drobertson

This has happened a few times, :D man it kinda stinks too!  a bad ball park figure I suppose,   
but it happens,

Dave Shepard

I generally start from the large end, and if cutting long timbers, always from the large end. I don't, yet, have any hydraulics on the bed extension, so I need as much weight as possible on the main bed for the turner to work. I am moving my first toe board to the bed extension, so I will have to saw big end first, or I won't be able to level it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

On smaller (normal) logs, I prefer the small end first for the reasons already stated.  On large logs that may need Bibbying, I want the large end first.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!