iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer in front of the house

Started by thecfarm, April 06, 2014, 06:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Wife's dog was having a fit barking. She was doing her job.

The first deer was looking at the other 3.All I could get was 2 of them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Is that snow? Or, do you live on a beach? :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Alcranb

Common street walkers  :D
Between the sunrise and those deer you have some awesome scenery!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

thecfarm

Just about to add some pictures to the thread deer behind the house. I have beach frontage behind the house too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alcranb

Don't let the assessors hear about that beach property  :-X
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

thecfarm

A wet day here and the deer are close. Just about 20 feet away a couple times. The wife's dog keeps them at bay. This has been going on since about 1 this afternoon. They are looking to chew on the wife's flowers that might be coming up. Most times this goes on at night. There again the wife's dog lets us know all about it at 1-2 o'clock in the morning.

Billbob

Quote from: thecfarm on April 06, 2014, 06:22:58 PM
Wife's dog was having a fit barking. She was doing her job.

The first deer was looking at the other 3.All I could get was 2 of them.

Haven't seen any deer in my pasture yet.  It's was a hard winter for them so the herd has probably been thinned out.

I have one of those old hay rakes in my yard too, Ray.  There's another one in the woods.  The way the price of diesel is going I might have to hitch a horse to it just to get hay this year!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

drobertson

Nice pic of the family critters :D  if they get in them flowers I bet momma will be a lil upset.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Hilltop366

thecfarm

Nice picture Hilltop!!
Just had 2 deer walk across the road.

Hilltop366

Some phone pics while I was cutting some trees over the last few afternoons.

Ever feel like your being watched? As I was driving the tractor along the edge of the field I looked in the woods to see 7 pairs of eyes looking at me.

Yesterday after cutting and hauling out 4 dead spruce trees I returned 5 min. later to cut some more to find a small deer eating the moss off the branches. Apparently the little deer was really hungry, after taking its picture (I was about 25' away) it kept eating, because the deer was in the path of the next tree to drop I waved my arms and made some noise, it kept eating. I started the saw an revved it up, it kept eating. I ended up throwing a few snowballs into the branches to move it away.

Magicman

Apparently hunger has no fear.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodcarver

A DNR forester I know once commented that "the sound of a running chainsaw is a dinner bell for deer".
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Bibbyman

You're lucky they are staying at a distance.  Around here they come up and eat flowers right next to house.  My dentist lives in town.   Heard something in his basement and went to investigate.  A doe was bumbling around.  It had come down steps when the basement cellar door was open.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Hilltop366

Oh there not keeping there distance from the house either, they will eat the wife's flowers and plants but so far they have not got in the house!

Chuck White

Quote from: Woodcarver on March 13, 2015, 10:57:27 AM
A DNR forester I know once commented that "the sound of a running chainsaw is a dinner bell for deer".

It was, here for the last few weeks!

We wanted some White Cedar for sawlogs and some for fence posts in the Spring, so we would go out and cut 2 trees and skid the whole tree up near the sugar house and the deer would be chewing on them before they were even unhitched!

We usually had 25-30 eating the folliage every day, by the end of the 2nd day there was no green left on either of the trees unless it was just too high for them to reach.

Before we went and got more Cedar, we would haul the existing 2 out of the yard and roll them so the deer could finish their dinner!

When the snow started settling we stopped cutting Cedar!

The chainsaw and the tractor both were dinner bells for a while!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

I split the wood I cut yesterday and there were 2 small deer hanging around The whole time eating whatever they could get including the tips of the high bush blueberries.

When we got home from town this evening this one was eating weeds and grass next to the shed.

Chuck White

They always seem to know where they can find a little bit of grass!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

They have really been showing up of late here too, mostly at night but noticed a few in the back yard this morning, just a bit too dark for a snap shot, they gave the chickens a good morning howdy and meandered back in the timber,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

shampjm1

In the UP of Michigan where I live deer are pretty much everywhere. Last spring as the mosquitos were so bad they took to sleeping by the house. And when I cut cedar trees down, within a few minutes they're there and will clean every speck of green off the branches within hours. I never tire of watching them. Such a great animal. Sadly due to the wolf and coyote populations we've been losing a lot of them. 
Jim, millwright, industrial maintenance mechanic. Just got LT40HD. Part time sawyer for now.

DeerMeadowFarm

14 out the bedroom window the other day....

And yes, I tried driving my tractor across the field too early in the year....  :(

WmFritz

All dark coats except one.   ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: WmFritz on April 22, 2015, 02:43:32 PM
All dark coats except one.   ???
Genetics. Took this old buck in 2004. We called him "White Face". He had a distinctly lighter coat than 

WmFritz

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 13, 2015, 11:33:05 AM
You're lucky they are staying at a distance.  Around here they come up and eat flowers right next to house.  My dentist lives in town.   Heard something in his basement and went to investigate.  A doe was bumbling around.  It had come down steps when the basement cellar door was open.

Rocky, my neighbor at the cabin, had a young cow elk show up in his yard one summer. She became a big attraction for the whole area.

The novelty soon got old when all of Catherine's flowers were eaten. When kids came by to see the cow, Rocky would line 'Gummy Bears' up on the deck railing and she'd walk along gobbling them up. Sometimes Rocky would hear 'clop, clop, clop' on the wooden deck and there that cow would be... peeking in the window.

Catherine made a 'pumpkin roll' one day, rinsed out a dish towel and hung it on the rail outside to dry. The towel must have still had some pumpkin, spice or sugar on it because a bit later, Rocky walked out to find the cow with that towel in her mouth. Luckily, there was just enough sticking out of her mouth to grab a hold of and pull it from her throat.

That Fall, a herd of about 30 Elk moved in behind our property. That young cow heard the 'Call of the Wild' and left, but a couple months later came back. I guess she liked the free dinners she got between my feeders and Rocky's. The following summer, Rocky noticed her laying down all morning. He tried coaxing her up later on and she wouldn't get up. After a couple days he called the MI DNR and they came out and put her down. We always wondered if the herd ran her off cause she was sick, but she sure had a good appetite for that year she hung out with us.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

They'll lose that winter hair soon, and be much lighter in color.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!