iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is this? how old?

Started by JamieT, April 06, 2014, 02:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieT

can any of you shed some info on this? I dug it out of a briar patch behind an OLD barn. Owner of the farm didn't have any knowledge of it, and told me to take it home. I got the blade spinning freely, bearings seem to be ok. Searched, and searched but cant find any markings  numbers, names, anything. Ya'll have any ideas? Im excited anyways lol 8)
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

thecfarm

cordwoodsaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4Fk-MEDRM

I grew up around one. We used it just for the small limb wood for the kitchen stoves. My Aunt and Uncle would use one to cut some good size 4 foot wood on it.We would power it off a NAA '54 Ford tractor. I can still hear that saw zing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JamieT

Thanks cfarm! I kinda figured it was a little small to rip anything to big. Still a cool piece of old equipment!!
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

tmarch

Around here they are called a buzz saw, lots of wood can be cut to length with it in a short time, but lots of body parts if 1 isn't careful too.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Magicman

My Granddad had a similar buzz saw that was run off of the old 8N.  It was used for blocking off firewood, but not for ripping.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JamieT

Now that I know what its called, ive looked it up. Mite see what I can do with it..

Corley5

We had one mounted on our '37 A JD.  Grandpa Bob had one on his F-12.  Both were used for small wood for kitchen stoves and slabs.  Grandpa Whittaker made buzz piles every spring that were cut into firewood in the fall after drying the summer.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

Dad would get spruce and fir slabs from the local mill. Neighbor's son came with one of those on an 8N, it was my job to pack and stack.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wwsjr

My Dad had a saw like this, he used a Super A Farmall for power. He cut slabs we had hauled from a sawmill near our home. Some of the slabs were huge, mill did not have an edger. Cut oak for fireplace and pine for cook stove. Didn't look as dangerous then as it does to me now.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

OntarioAl

Great Granddad and Grand Uncle had one mounted on a horse drawn wagon powered by a one cylinder "Bull Dog" motor driving via a belt. It supplemented farm income during the depression. When he moved to town he brought it with him and would fire it up once a year to cut the next years firewood. As a young gaffer I got the privilege of filling the head with water and piling the cut wood (Birch slabs) in the wood shed.
And yes it could sure zing and the motor bark in response to the governor.
Memories
Al
Al Raman

drobertson

A good friend has an old one like that, a lil smaller,  they did saw small logs with it, he said it would rip em' out, never seen one work, so all in all still a good find, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

47sawdust

I've got a pto powered woodsman cord wood saw that gets used every year for bucking up limb wood and sawmill edgings.You need to keep your wits about you,they can be dangerous.
Stay safe,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

goose63

I have 4 of them 1 has a Wisconsin on it thy will eat your fingers
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

21incher

I don't believe that one is OSHA approved.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Billbob

Yep, cordwood saw.  Alot of folks still use them in this area.  My uncle has one at the old homestead.  There is an outfit in Vermont that makes a modern version driven by pto.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Chuck White

We had one on the farm when I was growing up.

Dad cut a lot of Gray Birch, Muscle Wood, Hard Hack, etc types of "pole wood" with it for firewood.  The size stuff that wouldn't need splitting!

In the Spring, Dad would sharpen Cedar fence posts with it too!

Dangerous, be careful when raising one of those on the 3-point hitch on the 8N Fords.  The blade has to be turning in order to raise the 3-point hitch!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPIKER

I grew up knowing them as (FORD SAWS) as usually mounted on 8-9Ns ans took it to have been sold by Ford tractor dealers.

this one appears modified and CHEAP in price, saw it today http://mansfield.craigslist.org/grd/4409639311.html

NOT MINE but has photo pic and they name it a Ford Saw as well.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

leroy in kansas

Dad ran ours with a D JD. My job was to stack in the back of the 34 ford pu. If I stacked it neatly and got it high enough, I got to drive to the house to unload.

hardtailjohn

I've got 2 of them...one is set in a "cradle" to split rails, the other set to cut fire wood... it will be home soon to cut slabs off the mill into firewood length.  Great saws, and handy too! Lots of things can be done on them!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Chop Shop

I have one that I use often.  We call it the "Dog Skinner"!

Be careful with your "cut" pile.  If the cut pile gets to high and a piece rolls off and into the blade it will toss it along ways.   Mine has tossed cherry wood all the way to the neighbors before!  Mine has a 36 inch blade.

Mine was originally flat belt driven (still can be/has pulley) but someone added a pair of Vbelt pulleys and a right angle gear box down below that is driven by a PTO driveline.   Mine had the old screw in grease caps/pots so I added a couple zerks.

We have very large diameter fir limbs here in the PNW and it makes cutting them into firewood very easy.

I also found a firewood splitter that is the coned screw type for the PTO also.  Between the two my tractor is a firewood machine!

hackberry jake

I've got one mounted on an old model t frame sitting at the top of my driveway.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

The one I grew up around had a wooden frame and we just dragged it in place. We sawed in the same place each year,so it was not dragged far. My Father would set it on pieces of other wood when we got done with it for the season. But someone wanted it more than we did.  ::) I can remember him filing that saw. We would go into the woods and haul out the limb wood and small wood and put that on a trailer and put it in a long pile.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lefty1981

'Out, Out—'
BY ROBERT FROST
The buzz saw snarled and rattled in the yard
And made dust and dropped stove-length sticks of wood,
Sweet-scented stuff when the breeze drew across it.
And from there those that lifted eyes could count
Five mountain ranges one behind the other
Under the sunset far into Vermont.
And the saw snarled and rattled, snarled and rattled,
As it ran light, or had to bear a load.
And nothing happened: day was all but done.
Call it a day, I wish they might have said
To please the boy by giving him the half hour
That a boy counts so much when saved from work.
His sister stood beside him in her apron
To tell them 'Supper.' At the word, the saw,
As if to prove saws know what supper meant,
Leaped out at the boy's hand, or seemed to leap—
He must have given the hand. However it was,
Neither refused the meeting. But the hand!
The boy's first outcry was a rueful laugh,
As he swung toward them holding up the hand
Half in appeal, but half as if to keep
The life from spilling. Then the boy saw all—
Since he was old enough to know, big boy
Doing a man's work, though a child at heart—
He saw all was spoiled. 'Don't let him cut my hand off—
The doctor, when he comes. Don't let him, sister!'
So. But the hand was gone already.
The doctor put him in the dark of ether.
He lay and puffed his lips out with his breath.
And then—the watcher at his pulse took fright.
No one believed. They listened to his heart.
Little—less—nothing!—and that ended it.
No more to build on there. And they, since they
Were not the one dead, turned to their affairs.

dboyt

Lefty, I remember that poem.  Still sends chills up my spine.  When I was a kid, I used one.  I had one that I sold on the condition that it be used only as a yard ornament.  To be sure, I welded the shaft.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Lefty1981

Yes, I can't look at one of those without thinking of that poem.
All the tools we use are dangerous. Be careful out there.

Thank You Sponsors!