Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sablatnic

sawguy21

:D Just might need one of those in a few years with my sciatica.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clww

Pretty cool invention. I'd like to have one, because some days I feel like I start the saw 685 times. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

brettl

A very cool invention. Perhaps more of a novelty than necessity with a well tuned saw, but very cool nonetheless. And, no, all my saws are not well tuned and yes, one of those would certainly come in handy some days.  ;)

One place I could really see something along this line really hanky is in a shop environment where you're troubleshooting small engines for a living, or even a hobby. I do, as a hobby, and pulling gets old, though 2 or 3 pulls generally tells me what I need to know.

Makes me curious now though just to look around and see if there are similar inventions. Cool to see people coming up with stuff like this. :)

leo58

Wonder where to get one. I have a 181se so I NEED one. Would also be great for reviving dead saws.

Peter Drouin

Good way to lose some fingers . When you pull the rope up to get it off the thing and the dogs catch the rope will pull with the power of the motor ruining :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

reride82

I wonder if this would work on my old 700cc arctic cat snowmobile...  :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

bandmiller2

Sorry to be an old curmudgeon but if a fella can't pull start a saw he  shouldn't be using it, for safety reasons. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JohnG28

Agreed Frank and Peter. Looks like a pretty ridiculous contraption to me.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

7sleeper

Well I have heard the same cool macho talk on decomp valves, easy start and other things in the past. But I can tell you from experience that with a hurt shoulder you sure are happy with a decomp on a 50cc saw to get your firewood together! So all the cool guys out there just wait until you are in the situation and then I am waiting for your comments.

JohnG28

No need to get bent out of shape over it, everyone has their own opinion.  Someone surely went through a lot to design and build this thing, I'll give them that. But as a matter of practicality, I don't see it so much. JMO.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

barbender

All of my saws that have had a decompression valve seemed to take more pulls to get running.
Too many irons in the fire

bandmiller2

I only use the decomp. valve when I first start the saw after when she's warm just pull. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chop Shop

Quote from: barbender on April 13, 2014, 01:35:10 PM
All of my saws that have had a decompression valve seemed to take more pulls to get running.

Yep, the decomp is pretty much like starting a WORE out saw. 

I peppy saw and a good snap will start any saw thats running properly.

If it takes  over 6 pulls cold or 1-2 pulls warmed up, then it needs to visit the work bench.

Ianab

Try starting an 090 without the decomp  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Ianab on April 16, 2014, 03:51:12 AM
I know every time that the 288 goes in the truck I am in for a work out. No decomp, a hard starter, heavy, always glad to put it back in the shop kind of saw. last few days I have used it everyday and was woundering when someone would come up with an electric starter. Then I flattened the saw with an over sized log and and am concerned about how hard pulling a Husky 2100 the is. I don't have the snap that I used to and have had the boys start a saw when the day has been long or the saw is being stuburn.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chop Shop

Quote from: Ianab on April 16, 2014, 03:51:12 AM

Ill have one soon enough.  When I do Ill report back with my results. Lol!

So far the 075 is the biggest I have under my belt!   But I do have some years to welcome a decomp in the future!

I hand start the ol farmall tho, and it has 4 cylinders and no decomp!  One crank to prime and one to start ;)

theNooch

This "invention" epitomizes the very definition of a solution looking for a problem. If this guy were to take his toy on to the Shark Tank TV show, they would laugh their asses off as they kicked him down the hall on the way out the back door.

Before I watched the video, I had assumed the guy had removed the starter assembly, and was going to use the cordless drill on the flywheel nut with some sort of ratchet so you didn't break your wrist when the saw fired. But then I saw what his brainstorming idea (I can assure you there was alcohol involved) was and I was astounded that anyone would actually think this was both safe, and any simpler than just using the tried and trusted pull cord.

I wonder if the "inventor" has tried to take this contraption to market.

I can just imagine the laughs down at the tavern if some yahoo walked in and tried to sell this toy to some professional timber fellers. They would most likely beat him with it before they threw him out the door.  ;D

/rant over

Jeff

As someone who has had 5 shoulder operations, and who has occasional days when he can't pull a starter cord, but can run a saw just fine for an hour or so once it is started by someone else, or can't run it but a few minutes if he does indeed suffer though starting it himself, I don't find his invention so ridiculous.

There are lots of things I can do just fine, but pulling a starter cord is one of the few things that on a given day, is very problematic. If you say I have no business running a saw because I have trouble getting one started, then you don't know Jack. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed

Any big saw with no de-comp isn't fun to start......I've been reminded of it a few times by not hitting the button on my 084.

For many, the Stihl "Easy Start" system is the only way they can start a saw.

Ed

Thechamp

Quote from: theNooch on April 17, 2014, 11:47:43 AM

Before I watched the video, I had assumed the guy had removed the starter assembly, and was going to use the cordless drill on the flywheel nut with some sort of ratchet so you didn't break your wrist when the saw fired. But then I saw what his brainstorming idea (I can assure you there was alcohol involved) was and I was astounded that anyone would actually think this was both safe, and any simpler than just using the tried and trusted pull cord.

/rant over

While I could definitely use a starter/helper I tend to agree that this one might not be the answer. The term mickey mouse sticks in my mind....

I do however think you hit on something though about removing the starter assembly and devising something that could be used with a power tool to start the saw.  I've got the 1/2" Milwaukee 28 Volt drills and their 28 Volt Impact and it's pretty strong.  Thinking that would be the tool to use to crank start a saw with the right mechanism.  The 18 volt impact might do it depending on the saw.  Sounds like you've got a good idea.   Guarantee that a well engineered one would sell.  The perfect model would be a combo unit that replaces the pull start and you'd still have the pull start in place for warm starting when that one crank will do it.  You would use the power tool for the cold/prime initial start. 

d1hamby

Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

Thechamp

Thanks, being that I hardly ever watch TV I miss most of this stuff.  That is a decent starting system. Pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking only a neater package and more options.  Shouldn't be hard to duplicate to fit more applications. 

The cordless starter might actually start the tool a number of times these days.   All that type of equipment has gotten stronger and last much longer with todays lithium ion batteries.  And you'd have to have one if you were working away from the house or where you had readily available plug in power. 

My first experiment with a starting system was back in the mid 70s when I bought an electric start Remington chainsaw.  Had a small battery pack that you charged for several days and it tried to start the chainsaw in like 2-3 tries and then it was done for.  Course the chainsaw was a hunk of junk and wouldn't start/run most of the time so it was very frustrating.  Dealer stood behind it and I traded it back for a Lincoln cracker box welder that I'm still using today.  I think he threw the saw in the trash.  Everybody was happy.   We're getting there but it sure has taken a long time. 

d1hamby

Like to see Stihl develop some of this for their line of equipment. They could also make new starter housings to adapt the starter. They went a completely different route with easy start housings though. The battery technology is changing too fast these days for any company to not use a replaceable battery pack. Pellenc is really on the forefront in this field;

http://youtu.be/nx5swLEMT00
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

Thank You Sponsors!