iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee

Started by Tom, June 21, 2004, 03:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was cruising around again today and found a site on coffee that has my mind reeling.   Everything you ever wanted to know about coffee. :D :D

Don't forget to come back now, Ya hear?

Coffee Site link

SwampDonkey

Ol' Pal there's hope for ya yet. Drink lotsa coffee. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

EZ

Coffee, I LOVE IT.  ;D
EZ

hiya

I started drinking coffee in Hondorus, about 23 yrs. ago.It was coffee or warm coke. We were building houses after a hurricane. The only electric was our genarater. One of the women in the village cooked for us, ( ate some things that was different and some that we didn't know.)The coffee down there was better tasting than up here.(like a fresh apple from the tree).Now I drink from 3 to8 cups a day. Usually 1 before bed. Btw, macdonoldshas a senior coffee (over 55 years old) for .27 - .31. so I hit that up on the way home from work.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Duane_Moore

8) 8) 8)Waaaay to go Tom,  Love the stuff, all I Drink.   Duh---Duane 8) 8) 8)
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Steve

I reside in the land of great coffee. I find myself looking forward to bed time so I can get up and have a cup- or three.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

luke

I like coffee to. Started drinking it at my parents house. Never had drank any expresso, cappucino or freshly ground bean coffee until I moved to Morgantown WV and began my college education at WVU several years ago. Now I really like the freshly ground bean coffee but I usually buy the already ground folgers or maxwell house because of the price. A cup of coffee in the morning kind of wakes me up, but so does a 2 mile run in 14 minutes. I like both of them.

Luke
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Patty

I truley enjoy a good cup of coffee, brewed real dark & strong! My favorite at the moment is Millstone's Cafe Midnight. I buy the whole beans and store them in the freezer; then every morning I grind up a batch and enjoy a few cups while I visit my friends at the forum.  :)  
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Csssssssshhh POP!! The sound of a new 1 kg (2.2 lbs) can of Maxwell House being opened. Ya gotta admit its a pretty cheap beverage when you prepare your own from the can ($4.95). Go the Tim Horton route and you pay $550 for the equivalent in brewed coffee. I'ts not that hard to fill the stainless steel purcolator. Of course Patty's fresh ground beans would be nicer. Its nice and dry indoors today, we got some of FD's and Tom's rain today. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

L. Wakefield

QuoteI like coffee to. Started drinking it at my parents house. Never had drank any expresso, cappucino or freshly ground bean coffee until I moved to Morgantown WV and began my college education at WVU several years ago. Now I really like the freshly ground bean coffee but I usually buy the already ground folgers or maxwell house because of the price. A cup of coffee in the morning kind of wakes me up, but so does a 2 mile run in 14 minutes. I like both of them.

Luke

Hi, Luke! I saw the mention of Morgantown and checked you out on the map. Are you still in Morgantown? I am currently in Maine but I still have a place down in Rtichie Co., WV  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

OK!   I got a coffee story.

A few (?) years ago, the South American Coffee growers heard from the Meteorologist that there was going to be a bad year.  Like the oil companies will do, they began anticipating the raising of the price of coffee "just in case".  

My wife heard about it and, because I like coffee so much, bought two cases of coffee for me.  I came home  to find twenty-four 2.7 lb cans of Maxwell house Master Blend stacked up on the floor.  (That's funny too.  We used to call them 3 lb cans)  The price didn't go up. :-/

I was a little bit in shock, but, she was so proud, I couldn't say anything.

It took years to drink it but I finally opened the last can.  When I did, I proudly announced that I was running short on coffee.  (Heck, I was joking) :D

That Friday I came home to find twelve cans stacked in the kitchen.  She was sitting there with a Cheshire Cat grin on her face.

I opened the last of that a couple of weeks ago and haven't said a word.  Not even a hint.  I'm afraid to. :D    Today I looked in the cupboard and there is a single can of Maxwell House Original.  She's just been to the store and bought me a can of coffee.   I ain't sayin' nuthin'. :D

SwampDonkey

Tom:

That sounds just like grandmother. She kept a closet full of King Cole tea as if they weren't going to make anymore.  She'd do the same with Bounty paper towels and keep a trunk full in the attic. I usually keep two 1 kg cans of Maxwell house around the house, most times it gets given to me by my folks. The price has never gone up in 10 years. :D

Hey that reminds me, we used to get porceline figurines in Red Rose tea up untill the mid 70's, some of them figurines are worth over $100 now. Recently they discontinued the orange peko of Red Rose and turned alot of folks off it. Personally, we always used King Cole, but they were both manufactured here in N.B. All gobbled up by Montreal big business now.

The story about Red Rose Tea

Red Rose Tea Figurines

woodbowl

All the talk about coffee lately has caused me to fire up a pot and prompted me to start a topic ............. Well look a here, Tom has already started it! Harold, I sure have been thinking about Costa Rican coffee lately. ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

CHARLIE

Best cup of java I've ever had was the time Tom and I were out hunting.  I was about 14 or 15 and Tom was 2 years older. We both went back to the hunting cabin about 1:00 p.m. for a rest.  Tom dumped a one pound can of Maxwell House coffee into a pot of water and boiled it. Then we poured it into our cups through a tea strainer.  It was strong but I remember it as the best cup of coffee I've ever had. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Heck, I bet ya can still taste it! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

Anybody ever had "Ranger" coffee?

You open the individual pack and pour it in your mouth dry...........
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

CHARLIE

Nope Radar, I never have poured coffee grounds into my mouth. I'm not sure I'd like that. ::)

Jeff, it was strong but not that strong!  I could only stand one spoon up in it. ;D  It's a good memory though.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Patty

I am on a new coffee kick right now. I buy the beans from a place down south, called St Ives Coffee. Yummmm! They have beans from all over the world, and they roast them themselves. They are the nicest folks to talk to when I order.

http://www.stivescoffee.com/

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

Mmmmmmmm Coffee.................

I have a cup right now. Sumatran that I get from Peets. Dark and strong.........

Mmmmmmmmm
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sawguy21

Looks like this one thing northerners and southerners can agree on :D I can smell Patty's fresh ground beans from here. I have cut back but it used to be a basic food group. I still want a good cup or two of Columbian in the morning though. No fixin's, just as it comes from the pot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Best coffee in the world.... Buy direct from Costa Rica.

http://www.tesdelsol.com/

I know Janet personally. She takes the green beans, roast them and them ships them.

The entire post office will hate you when they deliver it...

Costa Rican coffee is very similar to Columbian, but is often consider milder. This is Organic Shade grown, very rich, non-bitter incredibly smooth.

It will ruin you for life...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

On Modern Marvels tonight on the History Channel:

Coffee.
Airs on Wednesday, November 16 at 8:00pm ET

Traces the origins of this tasty drink from Ethiopia over 1,000 years ago to the espresso-fueled explosion of specialty coffee stores like Starbucks today. Along the way, we'll see how American companies like Hills Brothers, Maxwell House, Folgers, and MJB grew to be giants. Discover how billions of coffee beans make their journey from coffee farms and plantations, and are processed in gigantic roasting and packaging plants before showing up in coffee cups all over the world. Details the invention and production of instant coffee, decaffeinated coffee, freeze-dried coffee, and the espresso machine. Also, we explain how coffee made shift work in factories possible, while coffeehouses provided a creative cauldron that brewed political and artistic progress in the 18th and 19th centuries. And, we also provide tips on how to make a better cup at home!

Followed by Distilleries and brewing
http://www.historychannel.com/modernmarvels/?page=upcoming
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Did you know that you have a coffee roaster at home? Most likely you do. A air pop popper for popcorn works really, really well.

You have not lived until you roast your own.  But, beware the chaff that comes out or your spouse may kill you....

Lud

I grind fresh every morning......Bucamaranga Columbia Supremo.  Keep it in the freezer.  Little electric grinder and the smell off the grinder is the first jolt.

I like my coffee hot and black like I like my cigars! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

crtreedude

I will admit I know no bounds when it comes to coffee. I have a Kitchen Aid burr grinder and a expresso machine which gets a serious workout.

I will drink any coffee - but I prefer the good stuff - which here costs me about $3.40 USD a lb.

Oh, and I moved to Costa Rica to be near my supply...

Murf

Da meesus an a Doctor said I had to cut down on my coffee after I had some health problems last few years........   :'(

Now I'm down to just two coffees a day ........  ::)

One first thing ina mornin, which I keep toppin up till noon.......

Then one after lunch, which I keep toppin up till almost dinner.......  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

BigTrev

:)coffee = lifeblood of the modern world :)

Over here a 2lb bag of prime beans runs about $10usd, have been trying Kenyan beans latley, rich and almost spiced tasting, I highly recomend trying it out.

Anyone out there tried to make Turkish coffee ? with the little boiler etc ?
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Paschale

Quote from: CHARLIE on November 15, 2005, 11:43:20 PM
I was about 14 or 15 and Tom was 2 years older.

So give us an update Charlie...now that you all are both older than 14 or 15, how much older is Tom than you now?   ;)   ;D

I hate coffee, and it bums me out, since so many people seem to derive so much pleasure from it.  I feel robbed!  Same goes for olives...no thank you!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

isawlogs

My parents are both tea drinkers ... my brother has been a coffee adict for years , I on the other hand would have a cup once in a while ... until I had a cup of real coffee a couple of years ago . Now , I have a couple of cups in the morning , black and hot and strong .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

I have a couple of pots of a mornin', too. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jason_WI

The coffee cartel won't be getting rich from me that's for sure. Hate the stuff.....bitter........yuck........ :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

isawlogs

Thats what I thought of coffee until a friend made me a real cup one morning ... Sure am glad she had the knowledge of what real coffee was to taste like .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

8)One of life's great pleasures
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CHARLIE

I like my coffee with a lot of black in it! 8)

Most people think Expresso coffee has more caffine than American drip or percolated coffee, but it ain't so.  I read that the water is forced through the finally ground coffee very fast when making Expresso and it doesn't pick up as much caffine.  When making American coffee, the water slowly passes through the coffee, which gives it more time to soak out the caffine.
Charlie

crtreedude

Soaks up the bitterness too.

My wife would not touch coffee until we got the expresso machine - now she has one every morning. Or perhaps I should say it is a chocolate with milk and cream and one shot of expresso...

Too sweet for me -

Coffee = Liquid Ambition, roll out of bed not wanting to do much, have a couple of cups and the whole world seems to be just waiting for me to do something.

Lud

Jeff,  thanks for the tip on the History channel show.  I caught the end of it .
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

ely

i have a buddy with some sort of old coffee grinder, grinds by hand it does. makes the beans into talcum powder consistincey. when he makes the coffee you just stir it up and drink it all no grounds to speak of. really good cup of coffee. black only for me.

Chris J

Two large cups every morning, real strong, but I cheat with sugar & milk  ;).  Fresh ground on weekends & holidays, on weekdays Folgers Gourmet Blend?Roast? preferred, but 100% Columbian works.

Found out last week that Kroger Dark Roast is no where close to Folgers Gourmet Blend?Roast?.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

jaytee

Nothing like a good cup of coffee shared with good friends.

Chris J

Quote from: jaytee on November 22, 2005, 10:59:43 PM
Nothing like a good cup of coffee shared with good friends.

Yep, as long as they remember to wipe the cup after they've had their sip  :o.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Thank You Sponsors!