iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for used parts (1992 Woodmizer LT40HD G24)

Started by aatkins, April 05, 2014, 08:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aatkins

Looking for used parts.

I just bought a Woodmizer LT40HD G24 (Year: 1992) with 621 hours on it.  It had been sitting partially uncovered for 10 years in a field.  I paid $1,500.  It came with 30 blades, an old Woodmizer sharpener and setter.  Amazingly, after a week of work on it and $400 in tires, belts, chain, fluids and so forth, it WORKS!  These things were made well!   

I know I could make some of these parts, but I really want it to look authentic.  If you have any of the following parts or know of where I can buy them cheap (other than woodmizer), please let me know. 

1. On the Hydraulic Log Clamp Activator, which is basically a 5 inch long piece of steel with a V of steel on the end, I am missing parts 3-6, which are listed below.

1.   The Arm Clamp Activator itself.
2.   The Spring (Clamp Activator Compression) that goes around it.
3.   Fitting, 3/16" Grease that goes in the end of the arm pivot.
4.   Nut, (3/8-16 Hex Nylon Lock) that screws on to the end of the Arm Clamp Activator. 

2. On the Blade Guide Arm Assembly, I am looking for a used but working Blade Guide Arm Assembly Motor (53:1) with the accompanying housing, gear kit, brush kit and shaft kit.

3. A set of fenders (I know that they are not functionally needed, but I still want them.)

4. Any decals (new)

5. The up/down belt (3L290 Ribbed V) Mine is almost done for.  Also, I am looking for every belt on this thing other than the one that drives the alternator as this is the only one I have replaced.   

6. On the Hydraulic Log Clamp, I am looking for the (Pad) "Clamp Box Plastic Slide".  I don't want that pad to ware down and start digging into the steel. 

7.  On the Hydraulic Toe Board (NOT the roller kind – the straight metal bar) the bolts connected to the Piston are rusted and thin.  Looking for Piston and the seal.

I also would love to hear any thoughts, recommendations, insights, tips and so forth from those who have owned these.  : )  I have never ran or owned one before. 
Go in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have always imagined. Henry David Thoreau

sawmillhand

Man I found alot of parts on amazon best thing to do is contact woodmizer and get a parts Manuel and all for your mill. That helped me alot .
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

pineywoods

Congrats on the "new to you" mill, and welcome to the forestry forum. The serial number decal is probably long gone, but if you will call woodmizer with the previous owners name, they can look that up for you and list you as the new owner, and assign you a customer number. You will find factory support to be absolutely top notch and parts very reasonable. Some of the items you list will have to come from the factory (like decals). Used parts for an lt40 hydraulic gonna be few and far between. Folks just don't scrap them out. But just in case, you need to update your profile so at least we know where you are located. Chances are, you will find a bunch of lt40 owners in your neighborhood. The forestry forum is loaded with helpfull hints. Set up a photo gallery and learn how to upload pics. Again, welcome, this is a good place...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodmills1

that mill for that money

NICENICENICE

just get the stuff from INdy  have fun
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

thecfarm

aatkins,welcome to the forum. You will need a Logrite cant dog or peavey. They are a sponsor on the left. There is a place that explains the difference between the two on the website.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill.  I can not help with your parts, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

I would recommend that since you have a complete parts list just give woodmizer a call and place the order it will be on your door step in no time and you can get to making sawdust, searching for each part will prove to be at least time consuming and some parts will end up taking more time than they are worth.  You have a real nice mill at a real good price, keeping it factory keeps up the resale value maybe more then may be apparent now. 
I rebuilt my mill and put everything back to factory after checking around for other sources, town is 25 miles and running around for parts is time consuming and eats the fuel to. Now when I need a part, I either order on line or give a call and the parts are on my door step and I am back up and running with everything functioning at 100% with minimal down time.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, aatkins.

Getting that mill, even in the shape it's in was/is a good deal.

I think rather than mess around with looking here and there for part, I'd just order them from Wood-Mizer.  At least then, you'd know they're right.

My mill is very similar to yours, except it's a '95, even has the 24 hp Onan.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdtuttle

I have the same mill. I agree with the other posts about calling woodmizer. When I bought my mill I took it to woodmizer for a complete alignment. They let me help adjust everything & replaced any worn parts. It's was the best investment I made. My mill has a resale value of 13,000, so you got a great deal. Congratulations & welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Have a great day

coxy

don't have a mill yet but they say wm has the best support and resale I to would go with new parts  and welcome to the ff 8) 8) 8)

aatkins

Go in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have always imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Thank You Sponsors!