iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

can you move a 440 john deer skidder with a f 150 with a dual axel trailer

Started by logger123, April 03, 2014, 11:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger123

can you move a 440 john deer skidder with a f 150 with a dual axel trailer  or will it be too much

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Dave Shepard

Much too much. Put the 150 on the trailer and pull it with the 440. Bring trailer home with 150. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

David-L

Just make sure there are chains on the 440, you will have new friends from the highway dept immediately. The scenario you suggested is not safe for all concerned IMO. Been there.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

tj240

work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

jd540b

Southside

Guess it all depends on how much stuff you want to break in the process. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Woodboogah

If you are looking to buy a new truck go for it.  Probably not the safest thing to do.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Maine logger88

I agree especially if the trailer is a tag along but even with a gooseneck it would still be way too much for a half ton
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

jonnywood

f250 goose do it?
how heavy is the 440 compared to the 170... or the 240 or other smaller skidders

thenorthman

Yes...

If you like broken axles, brake fires, overweight violations, bits of metal sticking out of you in strange places, losing said skidder to impound, prison, large hairy gender-omnivoruos dudes named bubba, divorces, manslaughter convictions and orange jump suits, go for it. 

Or you could just hire it done and not worry about it, or if its relatively close and no major highways just drive the skidder wherever its going.

Mine will do roughly 30 mph so it won't take all day, it will scare everyone on the road, but at least its mostly legal.
well that didn't work

thenorthman

Quote from: jonnywood on April 03, 2014, 07:49:14 PM
f250 goose do it?
how heavy is the 440 compared to the 170... or the 240 or other smaller skidders

12,000 or so unless he's got weight in the tires, then its more.

f-250 and a heavy goose will do it, but brakes are still going to be an issue.
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

a 440 is about the lightest skidder you will find. 170 is much bigger.

lynde37avery

i seen a dually 1 ton goose neck pulling a 208 or 225 timberjack down I 91 a few years ago. going at a pretty good clip too.
Detroit WHAT?

Hans1

I moved my TJ 225 on a triple axle goose neck. It handled it ok but was to scary on the braking. If it was me I would hire it moved "best plan" if not I would road it. We deal with some long moves with farm equip and roading it is often the best solution. Be safe with your decision.

DDDfarmer

Anything I can't drive down the road I pick up the phone and call a local hauler and ask, how much CASH to move this to there and when  do you want to do it and no rush.  Most times its within the week when they can work in a back haul or such.  We have used the same crew a few times and its always reasonable.

Best thing is they have the proper truck-trailers to move heavy equipment plus license-insurance and know what they are doing. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

BargeMonkey

Quote from: thenorthman on April 03, 2014, 07:51:33 PM
Yes...

If you like broken axles, brake fires, overweight violations, bits of metal sticking out of you in strange places, losing said skidder to impound, prison, large hairy gender-omnivoruos dudes named bubba, divorces, manslaughter convictions and orange jump suits, go for it. 

Or you could just hire it done and not worry about it, or if its relatively close and no major highways just drive the skidder wherever its going.

Mine will do roughly 30 mph so it won't take all day, it will scare everyone on the road, but at least its mostly legal.

Yeah what he said. The best part is around here guys will move stuff @ dark and usually dont have a problem, but if you got stopped for anything and have a CDL license, in the back of the car you go because they know you know better.

scsmith42

A 440 weighs 14,000 lbs.  Empty trailer weight on a trailer suitable to haul this amount of weight will be around 4000 lbs, so your gross trailer and load weight will be 18,000 lbs / 9000 lbs per axle / 4500 lbs per tire. 

No dual axle single wheel tagalong trailer that I'm aware of is rated for anywhere near that weight, and in order to meet reasonable CGWR specs you would need at least an F350 sized truck to tow the load and a trailer with dual tandems.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

logger123

i puled it just had a little troble stoping and hills were hard but i made it

Southside

Too busy wondering if you could have, and not thinking about weather you should have.... :D  Just had to use that line.  Glad you made it, and I do get it that it seems like you saved $ doing it that way, but seriously the strain on the ring gear in the rear axle of your trailer, the transmission temps, (I am guessing the F150 does not have a cooler) brake wear, etc will not make it financially worth it to keep doing this. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

Then guys wonder why the DOT as become so strict about things... Somebody hauling 2x the capacity of a vehicle is a tragic accident waiting to happen...

Gary_C

Quote from: logger123 on April 04, 2014, 09:28:53 AM
i puled it just had a little troble stoping and hills were hard but i made it

I have to wonder why you would ask this question if you planned to ignore all the people that gave you good answers?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

240b

Woodboogah

Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

thenorthman

Ya do what you have to do, but sometimes the risk out weighs the reward.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!