iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sell it, Burn it or what? Old barn with log structure inside.

Started by Doug_D, April 03, 2014, 10:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

Hey all-

I just purchased a property that has an old barn on it and not sure what to do with it.  I am under the gun to get the property up and running and have very limited time to mess with this myself.  It's an older (40'x40' with hay loft) barn with large fairly wide weathered hardwood boards and a tin roof - very rustic.  However, inside the barn is some type of log structure made out of hand hewn logs (red oak maybe - hardwood definitely).

I would love to take some of the beams and saw them up or build something rustic, but I really just dont have time to mess with it.  I thought about putting an ad on craigs list and see if someone would want to buy it for the lumber\tin.  Anyone have luck doing this?  Maybe call the scrap guys for the tin?

Goals -
1. Get it out of my way within 90 days.
2. Get the most $$ with the least effort from me.

Thanks for the help.
Doug
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

red oaks lumber

heres the downer side of selling your standing barn, there is alot of labor involved for the amount of material that can actually be saved.
unless you have some very spectacular timbers or rare i will throw this out, i would be real surprised if you saw $2,000 for everything. if you do go that route there is alot of scammmers out there, most wont clean the area the y take whats good and leave you with rest.
if your interested pm me i'll give you a name of a reputible barn removal guy in southern wisc.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ron Wenrich

Some of those old beams saw out some really nice flooring.  I know of several companies that take them down, then send them to a band mill for sawing.  They're dried and made into flooring and sell for top dollar.  They can easily pay for all the extra blades for any metal that's hit.  It's ancient wood, and they don't grow much of that anymore.  I've also seen the weathered siding go as paneling. 

If you go the Craigslist route, better make sure they have insurance.  Any accident might come back on your liability insurance. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chuck White

Maybe restore the barn and turn it into a mill shed!

Doesn't really need to be 2 story though!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

SwampDonkey

Be careful Doug, most people around here just scrounge the steel and wire and off they go never to be seen again. My dad has taken down a couple barns, his father's and grandfather's. Did it himself and saved a lot of good lumber. He rented or borrowed a dozer and buried one of them when I was 6 or so, I remember riding on the dozer. :)

What's the hurry to dispose of the barn? Are you building on the same spot? Shame that you have no time for some salvaging.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have dismantled several old houses and it is dangerous and no fun.  Yes, there can be some very usable lumber.  There have been other times when I salvaged all that I could and sent the rest up in smoke and ashes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

I agree with Magic. Salvage til it gets risky then lite it up.
Bill

Doug_D

We will start building onsite within 2 weeks and finished in 90-120 days.  Even though we are not building on the barn site itself, I need it gone before construction finishes as it is a commercial site.

I have a feeling I will salvage what I can and convert the rest to smoke.

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johncinquo

A guy who works for these guys  http://www.americanbarnandwood.com/  is located here in Michigan.  They are taking down a newer (1960's) barn and an old (1890's) feed mill for me.   Yes, they are paying me for the materials.  They leave a nice clean site when done, are professional, and carry insurance.  I don't know if my guy works in IL, but you can contact John out in CA and see what they can do.  They sell some of it here, but most gets cleaned, loaded on trucks, and ships out West.  I am not getting rich on the deal, but I don't have to do the work either. 
Anybody got any guesses as to how much that old no-good wood is worth?  Retail and wholesale....

pc_smiley
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I vote for salvaging what you can and then burn the rest.  You could even call the local Fire Department and see if they would be willing/interested in using the burn as a controlled burn/training exercise.  I know the local volunteer department near me does that on a somewhat regular basis.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Thank You Sponsors!