iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by Treelover, April 02, 2014, 09:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treelover

Hi to all. New member here from Southeast Ks. I live in Independence Ks but my home is some timber acres in Labette County Ks. I am really fortunate that my family still owns part of the farm that I grew up on. Mom is still around and we have used timber harvest the last 10 years to give her more financial peace of mind. Thought I wanted to be a logger but then it came to me. I want to be a sawyer. If that is the right term. I started a business and became a dealer for Hud-son. Have some mills and a Wolverine A. Currently using a HFE 30 to cut up a Cherry tree we salvaged from a cemetery.
This site has some great aids for getting started. Checked out the tools and calendar and others. Still I have lots of questions so I will follow the forum and learn a long the way. My question is in general about moisture in wood and what is the best tool for testing moisture content? I will be doing air drying only for now.

Len Hilger
Kubota M5030su Husky 61 Husky 3120xp Husky 136 Stihl ms460 99 Ford F-250 4X4 Husky ztr (poc) Fastline trailer Hud-son HFE30, Hud-son Wolverine A

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Treelover.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Herb Brooks

Good Morning and Welcome!  I can't answer your questions but there are them what can, and I'm sure they will be along directly.

drobertson

Howdy treelover, it sounds like you got it going with the mills,  I can only suggest you google search for moisture meters, there are several hand held models that work great,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mad murdock

Welcome Treelover.  Nice looking piece of woods in your pic. How much woods do you have to draw on?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Treelover

The property is about 390 acres. 120 is tillable. Creek and draws run through the property. Some pasture and a small meadow. Timber amount is about half the property. Half that amount fertile tree growing soil that produces the best trees you could want. We have harvested Walnut, White oak, Red oak, Hickory (3 species), Pecan, Maple, Ash, and even a veneer quality kentucky coffee bean tree. I am working on getting TSI stated with the state and I have a pecan grove that needs harvest and improved to grow pecans.

Len Hilger
Kubota M5030su Husky 61 Husky 3120xp Husky 136 Stihl ms460 99 Ford F-250 4X4 Husky ztr (poc) Fastline trailer Hud-son HFE30, Hud-son Wolverine A

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum.
What could be better, a woodlot to work on, a sawmill, and a new business venture.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

backwoods sawyer

wagner makes good moisture meters, but can be pricy for ocational use, never the less your oven can be used by wieghing a bft before and after.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

mad murdock

Quote from: Treelover on April 02, 2014, 10:19:30 AM
The property is about 390 acres. 120 is tillable. Creek and draws run through the property. Some pasture and a small meadow. Timber amount is about half the property. Half that amount fertile tree growing soil that produces the best trees you could want. We have harvested Walnut, White oak, Red oak, Hickory (3 species), Pecan, Maple, Ash, and even a veneer quality kentucky coffee bean tree. I am working on getting TSI stated with the state and I have a pecan grove that needs harvest and improved to grow pecans.

definitely sounds like a slice o' heaven 8)  'luck on your new adventure(s)!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Treelover,welcome to the forum. Really like the looks of them 2 roads. You MIGHT be better off with your question in the Drying and Processing board. Lots of guys know what they are talking about there. They may not read this thread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry forum Treelover. I purchased a low cost one at harbor freight to get started and it seems to work fine, but someday I will upgrade to a better one and will be following this thread for recommendations.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

Welcome Treelover.  You got trees in Kansas?  Well, maybe a few escaped from Arkansas to live up your way.

I think the Delmhorst J-2000 is close to industry standard for a pin meter.  I bought an Eletrophysics pin meter and Wagner pin less meter about 20 years ago.  The Eletropysics was top of the line and came with a calibration check.  My Wagner was one of the least expensive models.  Both have worked well.  The Eletrophysics is dead on when checked against an oven dried sample.  The Wagner is sometimes off about 1%.

I feel comfortable enough with the Wagner that I would depend on it for my only meter.  I'll make a quick check of say 20 boards in a load to find out the average MC and like pin less for that application.  I've also kept track of what a piece of woodwork in the house reads throughout the year.  I use that for a quick calibration check of the Wagner. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Len!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Treelover

Thanks for the warm welcome and answers to the question. Looking forward to hearing more from the forum!

Len
Len Hilger

kczbest

Welcome to the Forum Len.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Delawhere Jack

TL, welcome to the FF. You might want to search some of the posts on the forum by Gene Wengert, forum name GeneWengert-WoodDoc. He is a university professor in wood science, and a leading expert nationally on the subject of drying wood. Google his name to find more of his work.

Truly accurate wood moisture meters are pretty expensive, starting around $700 as I recall. The ones you can get at Harbor Freight and such are wildly inaccurate. Here is a link to an article on how to use an electric multi meter to measure moisture content. It's really only good down to 10% mc since most meters not accurate enough to measure lower, but it can be useful.

http://woodgears.ca/lumber/moisture_meter.html

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Treelover.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dboyt

Welcome, neighbor!  I live on a tree farm near Neosho, MO.  Stop by some time when you get a chance.  Rule of thumb is 1 year air drying per inch of thickness, but a lot depends on species, air flow, temperature, & humidity.  I bet four months in the summer would get 1" thick boards down to 15%.  Even a cheap meter will get you close.  I'll PM you my contact info.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Treelover

dybolt I sent you a pm but not sure if it went thru. Let me know if you got it. I would love to come by sometime and I will let you know when I am in the area. Yes i have a firewood processor.
Len Hilger

morgoon

Welcome to the forum

Good luck with everything!
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Billbob

Welcome Treelover.  Nice looking property you have there!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Treelover

Thanks I am very fortunate to be able to care for this place. Been in our family 50 years now.

So I have to ask how you guys get the equipment signature on the bottom. I looked and can't find it. Len
Len Hilger

dgdrls

Welcome TL.  Best place on the Web.

I use a simple Lowes moisture meter, two pin probe style.
inexpensive and works fine for my needs.

Best
DGDrls

Treelover

Thanks and I figured out the signature.
Len Hilger

Magicman

Now do one other thing to your profile.  Insert the number 35534 (your FF member number 25534 + 10000) in the box beside "My Gallery".  This will put the little camera icon in your public profile and make your picture gallery easily accessible by clicking on that camera icon.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!