iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking to move west

Started by 247ktmmx, April 01, 2014, 08:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

247ktmmx

Hi I am looking to move out west had enough of living in New York I have logged in the adirondacks for over twenty years I am looking to move to Blackhills SD , Idaho or Montana I was woundering if anybody on here lives in any of these areas I am looking to work on mechanize crew I have a job now my boss is great to work for I just want to get out of NY thank you for any info

BargeMonkey

I have family who runs a sawmill and full tree operation in WY, its feast or famine out there. Have you thought about going out to the dakota's and getting a job driving, alot of work out there right now.

Southside

We moved from Oregon, the export market is very good if you are close to a port or rail, the problem out west is the federal land, and depending on where you are a lot of it is federal - good luck dealing with the BLM, USFS, etc.  SD is by far my most favorite place to be and the Black Hills are amazing, that having been said if you are serious about logging look at the south, I am not getting rich, but the area is logging friendly from both the regulatory aspect and marketing opportunities, not to mention working conditions - most of the time -  I can sell all the wood I can cut at prices I can live with. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thenorthman

Whatever your reasons for leaving Zoo york, the upper midwest may not be the best place to go logging in.  While there is plenty of work to go around, its for the most part all beetle kill, or in other words no money.  Most places that get cut for beetle kill get paid for by Gubamint money, and then the market is flooded with pine, so the healthy marketable timber is nearly worthless.

Granted they are doing lots of logging around there, and the Dakotas have the oil feilds going on as well.

As far as Montukey is concerned Kalispell and Libby are good places to look (you may be surprised by how much vacant land there is between towns...)

And for Idaho, any of the northern section of the state that's not a reservation.

You could tramp all the way out here to Warshington an Orygone but jobs are scarce everywhere unless you want to spend your days in a factory the size of Rhode Island... working with a bunch of mindless zombies.
well that didn't work

Autocar

I see a ad in Lumbermans Equipment for a mechanical or hand operation in WY. the guys man is Larry I will P.M. the phone number
Bill

SliverPicker

Prices here in N. Colorado are fluctuating like crazy right now.  There where two or three new mills built within a two hour radius of here in the last two years which ratcheted up competition for logs.  Currently there is almost nothing being cut other that beetle kill pine on private ground.  Prices right now are under $40 per ton at the mill.  About $24 at the landing.  There's demand for loggers right now, or at least there will be after break up is over in mid June.  Pay isn't very good for crew guys <$20 hour  with zero benefits and the cost of living is pretty high here in the high country.  Despite the need for loggers I wouldn't move to Colorado.  Low pay, high cost of living and the logging season can be short.  If you look into Idaho/Montana etc. avoid resort areas like the plague.  Way too expensive to live.  Hope this is at all helpful.
Yooper by trade.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry forum, 247ktmmx.  I know of several workers that pull hitches in the Dakotas, etc, but they work in the "oil patch".  Some are doing 21 on and 7 off.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Quote from: Autocar on April 03, 2014, 12:57:19 PM
I see a ad in Lumbermans Equipment for a mechanical or hand operation in WY. the guys man is Larry I will P.M. the phone number
I just saw that, too.
Too many irons in the fire

hardtailjohn

Not much in NW MT. Most of the mills are gone, due to lawsuits. There are a few left and the lines are long to find a good job in them.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

timberlinetree

Not to hijack your thread but we have had enough with Ct and MA. Putting the homestead on the market! Would love to head west but think we will end up at the sawmill in Va. Good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Bobus2003

Logging in the Black Hills is not great at the moment. With our beetle problems and dealing with the USFS and the oil boom 300 miles north.. We have lost many contractors due to only having 3 mills (they gave the ax to 11 contractors 2 years ago), mills don't want bug wood so that's lots of wood not cut, many of our log trucks have been torn apart and are now in the oil patch hauling water or a pneumatic trailer. So there is a demand for trucks, but with that shortage the contractors are putting up so much wood everyone's on quota. My old boss got fed up with the bs and sold his equipment.. Mill is very resistant to new contractors.. tThe mechanical crews all have full crews..all round not great here for a job in the woods.

247ktmmx

Thanks for every ones input I still would like to move west it seems like the logging is about the same all over I am still hopeful for some better news

coxy

Quote from: thenorthman on April 02, 2014, 08:40:20 AM
Whatever your reasons for leaving Zoo york, the upper midwest may not be the best place to go logging in.  While there is plenty of work to go around, its for the most part all beetle kill, or in other words no money.  Most places that get cut for beetle kill get paid for by Gubamint money, and then the market is flooded with pine, so the healthy marketable timber is nearly worthless.

Granted they are doing lots of logging around there, and the Dakotas have the oil feilds going on as well.

As far as Montukey is concerned Kalispell and Libby are good places to look (you may be surprised by how much vacant land there is between towns...)

And for Idaho, any of the northern section of the state that's not a reservation.

You could tramp all the way out here to Warshington an Orygone but jobs are scarce everywhere unless you want to spend your days in a factory the size of Rhode Island... working with a bunch of mindless zombies.
why do you call it zoo York  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

windy hill farm

I hope you hang in there for a little while to vote this bum Cuomo out in November.
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

luvmexfood

247ktmmx. I see we are the same age and wanting to relocate. Know the feeling. I grew up at the same house till I was 22 then got married. Livied where I do now for around 23 years till I got divorced because my ex-wife decided she liked her boyfriend better than me. Lived 2 years closer to my work in an apartment. Then she married her bf and moved off and I got the house back with the stipulation that she gave her interest to the kids. Better than me having to buy her out.

Anyway lost my job/career 3 years ago. I worked at an airport and the job I had was very specific to airports. Would have to relocate if I could ever find another job at an airport. Understand the wanting to relocate. Sometings a change of scenary is good. I sometimes desire that but would be hard to leave with my children still around and mother in assisted living with alzhimers.

Take things slow and if you do move make sure it is the correct decision. I guess NY has a lot of gov beauracy but I have been a month dealing with the state here in Va. over my daughters health insurance. One person will tell you one thing and the next something else. Makes me want to move to Tahita and sell trinkets on the beach.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

gologit

Quote from: 247ktmmx on April 01, 2014, 08:20:54 AM
Hi I am looking to move out west had enough of living in New York I have logged in the adirondacks for over twenty years I am looking to move to Blackhills SD , Idaho or Montana I was woundering if anybody on here lives in any of these areas I am looking to work on mechanize crew I have a job now my boss is great to work for I just want to get out of NY thank you for any info

What kind of machinery have you run?  Have you done any work on steep ground?
Semi-retired...life is good.

Thank You Sponsors!