iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HFE-21 vs LUMBER SMITH

Started by GHOSTSHRIMP, March 31, 2014, 01:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KFhunter

I've been checking out some video's on entry level band mills and noticed the engine often surges off the govenor causing the carriage to rock slightly which should affect the quality of the cut.

paul case

I kinda thought this was the lumbersmith sawmill they were talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlnwzi63idg

Could be the same company?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

qbilder

My Lumber Smith looks like the one Paul posted. That other one looks like a typical small band mill. I have no experience with it.
God bless our troops

MbfVA

They certainly do look like two different machines, except for the color;  I'll post again when I go see the local one.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Ianab

Looks like they make 2 models.

The DIY wooden tracks one like Paul's video, and a more upmarket one with steel tracks
Some specs on it here.
http://lumbersmith.com/Mobile/bantam.html
Looks like a pretty standard design small manual band mill with a little Briggs or Honda engine. Web page say's they don't have any mills for sale at the moment, but you can order parts if needed. I imagine most of the parts would be pretty standard belts / bearings etc that you could buy locally anyway.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

MbfVA

I couldn't find the price on the Bantam, which appears to be the one that I'm being shown. It's not clear  what's going on from the website, and I did note there are no parts showing as available for the bathroom. The website has a copyright date of 2009, which makes me wonder if it's being updated.

On the Elite, keeping the example wooden tracks parallel, level, and square could prove to be a challenge. Metal tracks would definitely be preferable.

I found myself curious about their log holding equipment for $75. I think I just spent too much on my custom-made ones.

paul case

Quote from: MbfVA on July 26, 2017, 01:11:56 AM
I couldn't find the price on the Bantam, which appears to be the one that I'm being shown. It's not clear  what's going on from the website, and I did note there are no parts showing as available for the bathroom.

That durn spellcheck again?

I needed to laugh. May have woke the family up with that one.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

MbfVA

Spellcheck? Spellcheck? I don have no spellcheck.   I don't need no stinking spellcheck.

Why, I've got Siri to keep me in line.  Oh boy, does that remind me of an old joke.

I'll look up & post a YouTube link for the movie reference I "paraphrased".

MbfVA

OK, now I have seen and started up the Lumber Smith mill.  That was successful, and I was happy until I found out that Elizabeth only had one blade for it.  Her soon to be ex apparently broke all the rest that came with it. I tried to reach Lumber Smith by email, telephone and by text, with no response, in fact the phone number always rings busy.

I'm guessing they're either out of business or going out of business.   Or perhaps they don't care?

Does anyone know the story, or at least have the spec on their blades?  I would hate to start test sawing and hit a nail or something and be out of business right away.  A bunch of logs that need to be sawed are piled up.  They will soon turn into dust like the log that I had for too long that I have struggled to saw on my Peterson.

This one is the Bantam, or the 21/26 depending on what you go by.  The band wheels and most of the other parts look pretty unexceptional, so I am hoping for local availability when necessary.

Thanks forum members for anything you can do to help.   And if Roundhouse has not yet bought a mill, I'll be able to give him a review.

MbfVA

Didn't get a response, so let me try adding something. Does anyone know whether or not 1.25 inch blades will work in that machine? It's specd for 1 1/8 inch blades, which no one seems to have.  Help help 🙃

Thank You Sponsors!