iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snake-Proof Firewood Shed

Started by Magnas, March 30, 2014, 11:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnas

Any knowledge out there to keep the snakes outta my wood stacks?  I'm thinking about quarter-inch mesh around the perimeter of each stack, pallet, and shed and burying it about 12 inches and then up another foot.

jargo432

I wouldn't be a sure fix but you could always put up an owl to help.  Around here they sell plastic owls and people mount them on their barns to help keep the snakes away.  I heard it helps but not a sure thing.
Jack of all trades.

clww

I'd be inclined to say it's going to be difficult to keep the snakes out if they're inclined to get in. Maybe try some moth balls. That may help keep the mice out, which could be why the snakes are there.
Having snakes in the firewood adds excitement to getting the wood, too. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magnas

I actually like the snakes, except rattlers, but sometimes I need the women to lend a hand and they're not too keen on it.  Maybe if I store their shoe's out there I can get them over their fear.

clww

I have a tent I was living in when I was building our log cabin. Had a mice and snake problem in the tent. Once I got all the mice trapped, the snakes went away, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

r.man

I like snakes, but that comes from having no poisonous snakes in my area. Snakes are my friends.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Dave Shepard

I get along with snakes just fine. As long as they maintain my stay 4 miles away from me rule. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Alcranb

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 30, 2014, 08:27:15 PM
I get along with snakes just fine. As long as they maintain my stay 4 miles away from me rule. :D

X2!!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Wellmud

I don't care how many bugs and mice they eat, I don't have any use for them. Around here we have "magic snakes", cause they usually dissapear!
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Ivan49

We have a lot of garder snakes and they usually get a free pass. Last summer I was changing the oil in my truck in the garage and was under it. I laid the wrench down and I heard a hiss. I looked over to the size and here was a snake that looked like a copper head about 12 inches from my head. I could not get out of there fast enough and he met with mr shovel. That night I killed a second one about 3 foot long. They were blow snakes but I had never seen any the color of these. Later on I moved a pile of wood chips and it was full of them. I put the door on my skid steer as I did not want one in the cab. I had a big black snake try and play chicken while I was on my dozer and that did not last long. I don't care for snakes when the make me p### my pants

doctorb

I like snakes in my woodpile a whole lot better than groundhogs underneath it.  Around here, it is spring enough for them to have just come out of their burrows to mate.  Hate to kill an animal when his mind is on something important, but they are too destructive around my place for me to tolerate.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Rockn H

I say moth balls too.  Just be sure and get the cheap ones.  I forget what ingredients are in them, but the "newer" more expensive ones aren't the same.  They seem to work and are widely used in this area.

petefrom bearswamp

I like your shoe storage idea.
No poisonous snakes here and I have many garter snakes in my outside wood but not in my woodshed
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

landscraper

I have a hen house attached to the back of the 10 cord wood shed.  Plenty of room for critters of all kinds.  Chickens + feed = mice.  Mice = snakes.  Last summer I was down at the shop working on a Saturday when I heard the distinct boom of a shotgun up at the house.  Oh boy, running up the driveway and met my 13 year old boy flying down to meet me on his bike.  My mind was racing but I saw the grin on his face.  "Guess what?" he asked, and before I could guess, he gleefully told me that his mother had had enough of the black snake that lived in the woodshed going in and stealing eggs and she vaporized him with the shotgun.  He was just beside himself that his cake baking, dinner making mother would do such a thing.  Blood pressure and heart rate receding, I went back to wrenching. So, just get your wife some chickens and tell her the snake is eating the eggs and you will have a snake free woodshed. Personally, I leave the black snakes alone, they serve a purpose without any associated harm like the copperheads, I guess she didn't get the memo.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Al_Smith

CRThomas

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 31, 2014, 12:27:48 PM
I like your shoe storage idea.
No poisonous snakes here and I have many garter snakes in my outside wood but not in my woodshed
If you don't like poisnes snakes get a black snake cats or hunting dogs they will let you know if a poison snake is close my black  snake and my beagle and my two cat take care of the poison snake problem

brianJ

@CRThomas     I think it is the rare cat that would go after a snake.    Anyone else with experienceabout cats and snakes?     Beagles mght be a good choice if you are hard of hearing.   

JustGreg

We have had quite a few rat snakes and king snakes around our place over the years. The rat snakes, I'll relocate due to their fondness of my hen's eggs. The kings can have their run of the sheds and my shop. We all get along pretty well. Every once in a great while we'll have a copperhead show up. I had to dispatch one a couple of weeks ago actually. They can ruin you day quick , fast and in a hurry. The best defense against snakes would be to get rid of whatever is attracting them to your property.
Woodland Mills HM126

DeerMeadowFarm

My wife loves snakes. Me, not so much. Guess who always manages to see/find them....

Don_Papenburg

I read an article about venomous snake bites .  copperheads and rattlers snake bites cost as much as $450,000.oo per bite .  The cost of the anti venom was aprox. $85,000.oo per dose . Many of the bites took more than ten doses of anti venom plus pain killers.    Then there are hospitals that do not stock the stuff .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

marine5068

Quote from: r.man on March 30, 2014, 08:21:51 PM
I like snakes, but that comes from having no poisonous snakes in my area. Snakes are my friends.
You're not too far away from me.
I just wanted to hear about snakes and how other woodcutters around North America deal with them, seeing as we only have one poisonous snake that lives here, the Massasauga Rattle snake.
Envirofire Evolution pellet stove
Century 2000 wood stove
Stihl MS291 18"
Stihl 044 28"
Forest King 30 ton logsplitter
Yardworks 4 ton electric wood-splitter
Echo SRM-3500
Kobalt 40v pole saw
Stihl FS 56
Black Knight splitting axe
Stanley vintage maul
Estwing hatchet w/sheath

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

With no location in your profile, we don't know where that is..  ;)

Click on your forum name and it will take you to where you can fill out some info. tks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

I like snakes, most of the time.  I live "a house away" from the lake with a large park/land around it.  Had a little Western Rattler come out from under my little tractor when I fired it up, guess he didn't like the noise.  He didn't like the shovel, either ;)

About a week later, a skinny but long (3½') King Snake was poking his head out of some bushes on my drive way.  He was a little aggressive (ready to bite) when I was approaching him.  He ducked back in the bush and when I was poking around with a stick, he sat there wiggling his tail pretending to be a rattler :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!