iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Dangers of Manual Tree Felling

Started by timberlinetree, March 30, 2014, 06:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Here's some tough ones we came across this week...

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

Almost as dangerous as deep sea fishing, sometimes more IMO. Timberlinetree, what are those dirt mounds? Are they root balls from trees blown over or something else.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

thecfarm

I see you got them all down safely.
I'm looking forward to seeing my woods look bare like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

I've a white pine that 'Y's at 40-45 feet up.  One of the 'Y's broke off a year or two ago and I just noticed the other day the other 'Y' has broken off and is hung up.  It's somewhat near the house, closer to the chicken coop/fence, but wouldn't hit anything if it fell.  It gives me the heebee jeebees whenever I walk by it and it's close enough to everything that it makes me nervous when the kids are out.  It needs to come down but I'm not sure how to go about it. ???

Was going to start a thread on it but this one seems in the same vein. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

I hate white pine around a house. I've seen them snap off about 20 feet high for no reason at all. The wood looked good,no rot. There was a big one where we wanted the house built across the driveway. That got cut before the house was built.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

We did a few trees this week next to houses while it was muddy. I have a piece of "spectra" poly line off the boat we use, its about 3" diameter but weights nothing. We hook the trees 15-20 ft up and then into the skidder cable. Insurance companies are really paying attention anymore and are wanting almost anything away from the houses.

timberlinetree

Dave l those are piles of fill dumped about ten yrs ago? We are cutting a half mile road to get to the harvest that we will doing on this property.  The road will then be used by the farmer since his other road is to muddy and in the wrong place.Looks like dropping&chopping no skidding with all this rain. Stay safe!

Skidder Kev

Know what u mean here are a few pics.   This one still stands and think it will stay that way till mother nature takes it down.

and this one is a red pine blow down site that we have to clean up.  happened from the wind storms in the summer of 2013.

Kev

thecfarm

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

luvmexfood

kculler That second picture reminds me of a game I used to play with the kids. Can't think of the name but you had a bunch of sticks stuck threw a small plastic tube with marbles on top and you had to pull them out without dropping the marbles.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Skidder Kev

haha ya I know the game you are talking about just glad there isn't giant marbles that fall when we pull the sticks out.
Kev

enigmaT120

That's just crazy, Kev.  At least the blow downs on my place always have ended up with all the trees falling the same way, I just have to start cutting the ones underneath, first.  No I'm not under any of the other ones, my trees aren't that big!

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Jeff

Quote from: luvmexfood on April 02, 2014, 09:48:36 PM
kculler That second picture reminds me of a game I used to play with the kids. Can't think of the name but you had a bunch of sticks stuck threw a small plastic tube with marbles on top and you had to pull them out without dropping the marbles.

KerPlunk.   I remember it well. :)

timberlinetree

Kcutter that is quite the mess! Some might call me crazy but I kinda like dealing with the danger ones. Gets me thinking and the heart pumping and the time flies by. My bank account thinks driffrently since these danger trees slow production. Stay safe out there!

BargeMonkey

Alot of the bids coming out on blow-down work specify the would "prefer" mechanical harvesters, which sounds great but then they wanna impose a weight limit of under 40k pounds which knocks most of us out. Cant win somtimes.

timberlinetree

Well one got me :'(. I was cutting on a slope with lots of vines ,black birch and dead red ceader what a mess. Cut a 20 " black birch that had a vine going to a dead cedar. I was keeping up with the back cut when I heard crack and tried to get out of the way but didn't quite make it.

Unfortunately my Stihl shirt didn't make it but I'm glad I always wear my helmet :) After missing half the day of work yesterday, I'll be back at it today and checking a little more thoroughly for vines   :)

Ianab

Bet that smarts  :o

Good thing is you are still here to post about it.   :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JakeG

Wow, I'm glad you mostly escaped that one. I deal mostly with snags falling by hand so I know what you mean about getting your heart pumping and having to rack your brain.

Did your hard hat make it out okay?
$5.00 fine for whinin'

Jeff

You may have neutered your parrot on that one.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

timberlinetree

:D :D :D the helmet is OK but I have had 3 concusions over the past year and half and felt like I had another one(nausea, TV spinning, little confused) the cuts don't bother me that much but I realise that during the day sticks are rubbing my back more than I thought. To be honest I didn't like going back to the spot but did, limbed/skidded them out and on to the next one. Thanks ff you guys make me laugh :D

treeslayer2003

cut them vines off as much as you can.........i know it takes time but it hurts if ya don't.
i know the ones up in the top ya can't............i hate vines.......yea i got scars too.

Ed_K

Glad your ok,you can still get a concusion being hit in the back and snaping your head back (wiplash). I hate vines also,been working a wildlife clearcut,were they cut the vines grape and bittersweet and treated them a few yrs ago. some trees break away,some don't.When they do fall they bring all that junk down. Some times I have to move away 75' or more not to get caught in it.It's gets real dangerous when a clump don't fall at all,and you puzzle out the tree that sets it off.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!