iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some mighty fine white oak.

Started by customsawyer, March 29, 2014, 06:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Danny and I had a nice white oak to saw up.

Here is Danny and Julio taking the middle cuts of one of the logs off the mill

Julio wanting to know why they aren't getting any lighter.

These smiles say something about the rays and flecks we were finding.

Just so you know it isn't all about work my wonderful wife made us a fine lunch with the help of Paul (Julio's son).

Nomad made the drive up and pitched in to help as long as he could but had some other business to take care of. It was a shame that he had to leave just before lunch and the camera came out but we were happy to have him as long as we did. All in all it was a great day and we found some of the best looking lumber I have ever had the pleasure of sawing. I didn't get any pics of it but hopefully Danny has a few he can upload.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

lawnsbylane

SwampDonkey

Good thing you guys had some strawberry shortcake coming so you could lift on that heavy lumber. ;D

Looks like nice lumber for sure. Did I say it looks heavy to?  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Andy White

customsawyer,
A fine day with fine folks cutting fine lumber! It don't get no better than that. The weather looks pretty nice too. You guys will need about 5,000 calories a meal if you are going to handle that kind of lumber! Nice looking stuff
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Weekend_Sawyer

Man i wish i was closer, I love workin for food!  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

tule peak timber

Nice looking boards in a species I wish I had more of !! Jake thank you and your wife again for the phone time last week talking about your mills and your business. You were very helpful in my decision making process this week. Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Delawhere Jack

Not sure which is making me drool more -- that wide plank or the strawberry shortcake.

julio

Thank you Thank you . Just for the invite and the chance to spend a great day with FREINDS . Hard work and great food and real friends. It doesn't get any better 8) 8) 8) 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Peter Drouin

Nice job you guys did . Customsawyer is the wood going in WDH kiln? And will wood that wide cup?
It looks nice and warm there :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Wow, what a nice day.  And, what a nice white oak.  It was an old swamp grown tree.  The tree on the left is the subject tree.  The tree on the right is a sycamore that will be the star of another Sycamore Project where we will invite folks from the Forum to come over to Mr. and Mrs. Customsawyers for a day of sawing and some good Southern hospitality.  Hopefully sometime in late May before it gets too hot  smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop.  The sycamore is about 40" on the butt and over 30" at the small end at 20' up the stem. 

Here are Julio and Nomad babysitting the chainsaw and the white oak log.  It was about 30" at the small end on the first log and just a  shade under 29" at the small end of the second log.  Each log was 9'6'' long to make it easier to load the lumber into my kiln with the tractor.  Also makes for a little easier handling.

Here is a pic of the second log.  I did some figuring later, and it was easily over 150 years old, could even be 175 to 200 years old.  Notice the very tight growth rings. 

Here are the logs ready for the Woodmizer LT70.

Here is the first log cut in an octagon ready for quartersawing with the first center cut 2" above the pith.  We got two 9/4 pieces from the center of the butt log, one 2" above the pith and one 2" below the pith, 27 3/4" wide, the maximum throat width on the LT70.  Julio and Nomad are likely discussing medullary rays  :D.

The figure in this log was exceptional.  The very best that I have ever seen firsthand.

The heartwood from the center of the butt log oxidized to a pink color.  And I mean PINK.  Note that the sawdust on the ground even turned pink.

Some wide center cuts up to 27 3/4" wide.  However, but we did edge out the pith and made them into two boards each as they were going to split at the pith anyway.

I call the second log the "Starry Night" log after the famous painting by Vincent van Gogh.  It is my favorite painting.  The figure in this board reminded me of "The Starry Night"  ;D.  If you are not familiar with this famous painting, check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starry_Night

Notice the circular pattern of the figure in one of the "Starry Night" boards.

Lunch was a real treat with a mexican beef tortilla casserole, mexican rice, mexican cornbread, and strawberry shortcake  8).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Peter,

Yes, the wood will go into my kiln after some air drying.  The widest boards we ended up with after cutting out the pith and juvenile wood of the core was 12".  With the juvenile wood and the pith removed, these perfectly quartersawn boards will not cup. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Clay Hound

That's some nice qs white oak!  Hope I can make it to the next sycamore project.  :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

WDH

If you do, bring the cake  ;D.

Magicman

Thanks to all for sharing your wonderful time sawin', jawin', & eatin'.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

customsawyer

Here is one more pic of Danny's favorite line.

We turned it into a bit of a joke but when Danny was getting the rays we were wanting he would tell me to take one more. Since he is the one that is cleaning the saw dust off the board he gets the first look at the board he gets the call when to turn the cant.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

What a great day!  Lots of great folks and a great log; doesn't get much better than that!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

Yep, it doesn't get any better than that. 8)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Nomad

It was a great day, and I wish I could've stayed for the afternoon session.  But it was worth the trip for several reasons.  I got to spend some time with friends.  I got to see the prettiest white oak I've ever laid eyes on.  And I got to see Danny trying to fracture his face from smiling so wide! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

Thanks WDH, That is some nice w oak  8)
Customsawyer is that the new 70 or the old one in the pic?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JohnM

As I was reading about the 'Starry Night' board I had only scrolled down far enough to read the text and only saw the top 1/4 of the board/photo...then I scrolled the rest of the way.  Perfect description, Danny!  Sounds like a great day. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

Starry Night it is. What more could you ask for. Good weather,good friends,good wood,good food.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Man i wish i was closer, I love workin for food!  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

customsawyer

Peter both of my LT70s are 05 models but this is the newer to me mill.
Jon I am starting to think I hear a echo. :D
Nomad I sure wish you could have stuck around the food and fellowship on the porch, it was awesome. You also missed out on the starry night log. Man that thing had some great figure.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga Mtn Man

Wow, that's some amazing figure!  Any explanation for the pink heartwood?

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!