iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber lite 24 going Mobile. pictures added

Started by strunk57, March 29, 2014, 04:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

Hello all, I found an old camper trailer for sale the other day and thought it would be perfect to sit my mill on, I asked bout price he said $100. I paid him. went straight and bought a couple trailer tires and hauled the trailer to a good metal working neighbor. The trailer has to be narrowed to fit the tracks but is perfect length wise.

I am looking for a good place to buy some trailer jacks now and already replaced the hitch. I have read through oljarheads thread on his lt10 im not going to go as far as he did for now, just want to be mobile and be able to take on a few more saw jobs.

I will have pictures soon of the progress, but looking for any advise during the build or "must haves" while im in the process. Im really excited about getting this done, I think it will bring a lot more income and get closer to getting a skid steer a lot quicker. After skidsteer hopefully comes lt40hyd.  Any advice is appreciated and I will keep you guys updated.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

landscraper

I can't offer much specific about the trailer conversion, but I just thought I'd say that your plan about using the mobile saw to make more money to buy the skid steer to make more money to upgrade to the LT40H sounds good to me.  That's how I have done it for the last 20 years, letting one piece of equipment pay for the next one.  I was always told "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail".  The older I get the more I realize that laying out a well thought plan to reach your goal is truly how you succeed.  So many folks play whack-a-mole with life, just dealing with stuff as it pops up rather than planning ahead.

Good luck to you on the mobile saw conversion, and the equipment upgrades, I'm sure many people will chime in on the must-haves and trailer advice.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

21incher

When I built my trailer for my little Hudson I got my jacks at tractor supply because the shipping was expensive if I bought them online. My main concern was to place anchors at the hitch end for the mill head. I felt this would be the smoothest riding area of the trailer because there are no shocks on the trailer springs and try to match the springs to the load for a smoother ride. Also come up with a good plan to lock the head down without loading the track wheels because they are not designed to take a lot of bouncing. I also found adding a simple log loader made it a little easier to use. It could be some ramps and a winch or I came up with a very simple loader that works with a farm jack. Good luck with your build, post pictures.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

strunk57

Thanks 21. I think it will work well, I am gonna have a lockdown device at the head of the trailer, and gonna steal Jarheads idea of making a basket in the middle, I will also be using straps to hold the sawhead.
Quote from: landscraper on March 29, 2014, 05:34:51 PM
your plan about using the mobile saw to make more money to buy the skid steer to make more money to upgrade to the LT40H sounds good to me.  That's how I have done it for the last 20 years, letting one piece of equipment pay for the next one.

That was the plan 1 year ago when I bought the mill, I have only used money made from the mill to upgrade anything, I still have not taken a dime out of my pocket, just 2 weeks ago I started buying cedar logs, usually go get all my own logs, I figured it would be another bit before I could build a trailer, nope buying logs increased profit fast, hopefully it wont take long to make it to the next step, but we'll see.

I will take pictures the next time I go to check on the trailer progress, The only thing that is worrying me is the couple days it will take mounting the mill to the trailer.....How am I gonna saw? or what am I gonna do. haha
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the great find!  For trailer jacks try surpluscenter.com or etrailer.com.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Lakeerieloghomes

I got my start milling on a ll24. Lots of work, but fun. I did build my own trailer and track extensions for this mill that worked well. I beefed up the rails with steel I beams, a trailer tongue and removeable wheels added below the I beams for added strength and reduced my set up time with the mill upon reaching the site. One major lesson learned traveling with this mill was using 4-5 ratchet straps to secure the mill both cross and lengthwise. This worked well until one day the mill skipped the track at 45 mph and disappeared from the rear view mirror! It was late in the evening and I was returning home from sawing on site. No one for miles to help me lift the mill. Fortunately, the straps caught it before the mill hit the road... I called a relative that lived in the area and he and another fella helped me lift the mill and resecure it.  This prompted the addition of a pin type system that I drilled through the wheel base and through my rails. I wish I would have done this earlier. 1000 times more secure and the need for straps was negated. I have long since upgraded to a high production mill. But, I have some old pics of the trailer system I built. I had maybe 250 in the whole deal with magnetic tail lights, scrap I beams, trailer tongue, and removable wheels. I was very lucky. Use the pins!
Woodmizer LT 70 diesel
Newman 4 side planer;100 hp International
25" wood master molder/planer
Glue line rip saw
16" Dewalt chop saw
16" pop out saw
Table shaper
2500 bd ft Kiln
Misc woodworking and support equipment

strunk57

Welcome to the forum first off, and you drilled through the head wheels and track to pin the saw head down?

Lakeerieloghomes

Thank you. I ve followed the forums for years. Just never gotten around to joining. Yes, I drilled holes through the track and used the holes that are already on the saw head frame. You can use a straight pin or threaded bolt to secure the mill horizontally and/or use the larger holes in the saw head and drill vertically through the I beam and use a large c bolt to secure the mill. I ll try to upload a rough drawing. I definitely would avoid trying to use straps. It nearly cost me my entire mill.
Woodmizer LT 70 diesel
Glue line rip saw
16" Dewalt chop saw
16" pop out saw
Table shaper
2500 bd ft Kiln

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Lakeerieloghomes!

Sounds like you've had good experience with your sawmill!

Tell us a little about yourself, where are you located!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

strunk57

The trailer has to be narrowed 7", the axle has to be flipped so im not always dodging the wheel and hub with logs. it is a solid axle by the way. All the side supports for the camper have already been cut and grinded off. Im stoked bout getting this finished as I think it will bring ALOT more business. Ill be sure to keep you guys updated.

Be sure to add any advice, what to do/what not to do. Thanks in advance.

Magicman

That trailer mod is looking good.   :)

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Lakeerieloghomes.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

good find,  if the frame is square and level why narrow it??  its only 3-1/2 per side.
any value to offset the mill and have a 7" ledge??

Also, the axle may have a locating pin/hole assembly,
may be easier to move the axle under the spring?

just some thoughts.

good luck,

DGDrls

strunk57

Quote from: dgdrls on March 30, 2014, 11:03:39 PM
good find,  if the frame is square and level why narrow it??  its only 3-1/2 per side.
any value to offset the mill and have a 7" ledge??

DGDrls

I am placing the tracks directly onto the trailer, more than likely gonna weld them on, my tracks are 36.5" outside to outside the trailer is 44" wide.I see what you are saying, but wouldn't I be better off to narrow and weld/bolt directly to the frame instead of building another support to mount the track

Small Slick

I agree that it might make sense to offset the mill and not narrow the trailer. I would have it be on the load / non operator side. Your ramps could be set up on the ledge. Also it's possible flitches could wait there for edging.

A really helpful thing I did to my trailer was put a receiver hitch on either end of the mill. The actual hitch that connects to the truck slides into the receiver on the mill same as your ball hitch slides into the receiver on your truck.

This makes it a lot easier to maneuver the mill in tight quarters.

John

Lakeerieloghomes

My main concern would be supporting the trailer with some thicker side rails and cross bracing. I noticed even with 6" I beams under my lll24, it still had some movement. I would hate to see you put all the time and effort to bend it with the first large log placed on the mill. Definitely a solid foundation is crucial for accurate sawing. I did notice that when I did not remove my wheels on site, it was a hassle to work around. Not a huge issue, more is a nuisance. You def have the making for a great trailer. I left a small lip on mine for my flip up ramps I screwed right into my wooden log bunks. This really helped save the back when sawing alone.

About me, I m located in Erie, pa. I got my start in tree service and construction. Expanding into milling and logging. Then, manufacturing log home kits and constructing log homes. The lumberlite 24 was my first mill. From my first flitch I was hooked on sawing. It was mainly a means to an end for all the product I was paid to remove from tree jobs. I have since upgraded to an Lt70, Newman moulder for producing log profiles, t&g, straight line rip, planer master, chop saw, pop out saw, and a few misc woodworking machines. I ve built a small 500 bd ft dehumidifier kiln and a 2500 bd ft solar kiln.  My shop is a 40x80 pole barn w a 60x120 pole barn for lumber storage. Mainly, we produce products solely for our own use in log home builds. I don't do much portable sawing as we keep really busy within the log home and timber frame niche. People thought that I was crazy leaving a federal job to work for myself. That was 7 years ago and I turn 31 next week. This business has been so amazing that I have recently made the decision to no longer be active within the military. 12 years of service coming to a close. I definitely see the same type of camaraderie here within these forums. It is great to be welcomed by so many. Look forward to many more years...
      Brent
Woodmizer LT 70 diesel
Glue line rip saw
16" Dewalt chop saw
16" pop out saw
Table shaper
2500 bd ft Kiln

dun that

lookin good strunk. i built a log hauling trailer out of a camper probly about as old as your donor is. mine was 6X3 channel and it was real steel that it was built out of. i put 7k torsion axles under it. never did bend it as we were haulin way more than i should have on it. my axles were the same as yours, solid 2' square. i cut the hubs off and the center became forks for my 480c backhoe. i havent bent them yet, but got more on them than my backhoe will pickup before. if you are interested in makin the wheels removeable, take the axle off, get a peice of 2 1/2 x 1/4 tubing, cut the axle in half, cut 1" off each side, bolt the tubing to the springs, the axles will slide in the tubing, drill a hole through all of it so u can pin the axles in the tubing and you have removeable wheels. the spindles in your hub are small, didnt beleive it till i saw it but only rated( by todays standards) for 2k, if its the same as i had. u might break the spindle, but u aint breakin or bendin that axle.
Scott

strunk57

Thanks for the advice and comments, I decided not to add to the 2x4 frame, with the jacks I don't see having too much trouble, I can always go back if I am wrong, but I rarely saw logs over 20". I did however decide to add three more cross members and a hitch at both ends.  I went up to check today and roscoe had the frame ready for the track, I have 7 cedars and 3 walnuts to saw in the morning then I will be taking the mill apart and getting ready for its new mobile home. The great thing is I already have 2 jobs lined up soon as I get everything in place. I will be sure to take some pics tomorrow and let you all in on my excitement

thecfarm

Sounds good. Anything to make life easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Nice - I'll be following this build!  Welcome!!!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

strunk57

OK so it was kind of a sad day, this morning I got to the mill early and disassembled the track from the 6x6 frame and loaded the mill on the trailer ready to take the next step. The mill has been here since I got it. Here it is as it used to sit.

And loaded on the trailer waiting departure. notice the bare support frame in the back.

LL24s soon to be new home.

And the tracks sitting on their new home, now a few spot welds and straightening.

Its supposed to storm in the morning so I will be going to get 6 5k trailer jacks and one 2k for the tongue. SO close to being finished. My first Job will be sawing an entire cabin, the guy just bought a tractor with loader also. And business cards came in the mail today. Wont be long til WM if things keep going good.

strunk57

total cost so far-

$100-trailer
$50- wheels and tires
$30- new hitch.

I may be wrong but im hoping to keep the cost under$700 including labor, we'll see how it goes.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Looking good. You may need lights on that. Check your state laws so you don't run into trouble (brakes to). In a pinch harbor freight has a set of magnetic tow lights for about $15.00 that meet dot codes and are all wired up.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

strunk57

21 incher thank you I am on my way to HF right now, I will be sure to pick up a set

backwoods sawyer

You may need extra wire with them, it is a strech to fit them on a 12' trailer ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!