iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 350-tension ring

Started by JDL51, March 29, 2014, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDL51

There's a tension ring that fits over the clutch housing.  I can't this darn thing to expand enough to get over the outside lip of the housing.  On the YouTube videos I've watched, this doesn't appear to be an issue.  Any suggestions or might I be better off just getting a new cover for the clutch/bar area.  Thanks in advance for you help!

vtgreen

Sounds like you tried to remove that cover with the chain break on. The band you refer to is the chain break.There is a 3-dogged sprocket looking mechanism that the chain break handle moved to release the band. If you can get the cover back on and get these three teeth to mesh and pull the chain break handle back to release the band you will be all set. It can be a pain, but once you've done it the wrong way once you will forever remember to release the chain break before trying to take the bar off.  ;)

JohnG28

There are videos on YouTube showing homemade tools to remedy this. If you do a search here I'm pretty sure there are some old threads of members' gadgets and fixes as this has happened to others before.  I think if you try to force it on to use the handle you might do more damage than good. You need something to engage the 3 teeth in the round hole in the clutch cover,  and roughly 1/3 or so turn will unlock it.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JDL51

Thanks to both of you guys for your help.  Once I understood the issue, I backed the brake lever off enough to line up the three-spoked-wheely-thing with the corresponding slots and it popped right on.  I still have a lot to learn about this chainsaw, so I'll likely be back with more questions and, hopefully, a few answers as I learn more. John, I'm also going to search for that YouTube video you mentioned.  Happy sawing! JD ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnG28

Welcome to the forum.  Here is a good one too, easier than making a tool even.

The chainsaw guy shop talk repair Husqvarna 455 c...: http://youtu.be/FjaVFLII4DE
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!