iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walled tents

Started by SwampDonkey, March 29, 2014, 06:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I had a couple uncles that worked in northern Quebec and lived in walled tents, even in the winter. They surveyed sites for smelters and mills.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I believe these tents have a back door as well. I'll be setting up a shower tent out there. Just like home. ;D 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ND rancher

My son and I have several canvas tents. He has a 16x20 Montana with frame and no floor, and stove pipe hole.I have a 10x12 with floor and frame. Have not gotten to use mine yet. We use the big one for hunting trips and family get together.The wood stove keeps it warm if stoked during the nite,even in the single digits.Been through some very strong winds and has held up well.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Al_Smith

When we used to make the yearly hunting trip to Colorado we set up two 12 by 16 army squad tents end for end .With two Reeves sheet metal air tight stoves even the mountain air couldn't freeze us out .It can get pretty nippy at around 9,000 feet the first of November near Vale .

Go fiqure 15 at night and by 10 am the next day it was in the low 60's .

Oh 7-10 days tenting wasn't bad .A summer of it wouldn't be my cup of tea .

Swampish is either a true outdoorsman or a glutton for punishment .The verdict is still out on which . ;D

SwampDonkey

I've not done it in long annual stints until last year, but have tented for years. One time I remember just throwing an old mattress on the shore rocks along a river for the night, canoed in. That was back in the 70's when I was much younger. ;D I not be using any stoves. It's not something I would be able to leave behind. Someone else would probably take possession of it. ;D I'm only going to be out there when nights are still in the 30's. A little propane stove to heat around the breakfast table, then take it along in the truck so it don't walk. ;D

goose63

I got a 10 x12 wall tent with floor and pole a frame wood stove used it 3 years ago deer hunting in western North Dakota it can get cold in November I like mine
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Al_Smith

One of those old army squad tents is on a shelf in the barn here I grew up .Thirty years ago it was all I could do to lift it .I'd either need help now of days or a small crane .I'll bet that thing doesn't miss 200 pounds by much.

Magicman

Yup, it took an army to put it up too.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

My new camping cot came and new 3" thick mattress for it. I got the mattress an extra 4" wide, but did not need to. The cot has lots of length and width. Best cot I have seen and it folds up in a duffel bag. I won't be coming home until the leaves drop. :)

Your totally suspended off the frame by tubing down each side.

LittleJohn

The old man has one for "HUNTING", when we go out West (to Wyoming/Colorado), 14'x20' maybe, for them slow moving cows (elk). If I remember correct he has 5' side walls not 4'; and its so nice for a guy is over 6' tall.  Actually able to stand up, in more than just the center of tent.

SwampDonkey

Yes, it is. My tent has 5' walls to. But my tent layout has a cot on one side and table on the other. I sit or cook toward the middle of the tent. Just so happens the only upright place anyway is down the centre isle. ;D

Al_Smith

Swampish what would posses a man with a perfectly good house to spend the summer out amongst the moose and skunks ? You aren't hiding out from the Mounties are you ?

Now Mrs. Smith likes to camp out when we are traveling .Some place like the Holliday inn or equal . ;D

SwampDonkey

Mid-life crisis. :D

If you and the misses venture out, I'll give ya's the honeymoon suite. ;D

SwampDonkey

Magicman

Looks cozy enough.  8)

What is the little front porch cover going to do during a heavy rain?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Collect water in my 5 gallon water jug. Already used it twice this week.  8) 8) Saved a couple trips to the stream. I use 4-5 gallons a day with the shower and dish washing. I stick a wide mouth funnel in the jug. ;D

I have my cooler and my tub that hold my kitchen stuff, and a fold up chair as well. Nice and cozy for a one man dwelling. 8)

Magicman

Good for you.  I figured that it would collect, just did not know how you were handling it.   :)

WDH

Never had a video guided tour of a tent before  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

;D One just never knows.

oros35

My dad an I have 3 of these tents brand new, plus a couple extra used fabric sets.  Cool thing is they can all attach end to end to make one giant tent. Bad thing is they are Very heavy, but that's also nice cause they are also very durable.

http://www.tentnet.org/tentnet/basecamp/fte/ftenew.htm

Now I need the time to use them!  Best we've done is set one up for a neighbors pig roast party for a week. 

SwampDonkey

My model's the smallest they make, I go compact.  ;D

They sure beat a dome tent. Mine also has the flu thimble and support brackets, but I won't be installing a wood stove. I have a Bigbuddy propane heater for drying stuff and the shower on them cool rain days.

Ron Scott

Looks like some good camp living. ;)
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I enjoy it. Done it most of my life. ;D

Magicman

But now you are doing it in "style".   smiley_thumbsup

Gadrock

Reading about that "oiled smell"reminds me of the miliary tents. If I remember correctly ours were 30 men units. They could be assembled in less than 6 minutes, with about 199 men, but forever if you had one man less.

Those green uniforms and the smell of that oiled fabric bring back memories. I think I am gonna change the channel. pee-ewee!

And no more gun oil, except of my choosing.

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Thank You Sponsors!