iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walled tents

Started by SwampDonkey, March 29, 2014, 06:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I'm not asking advice, as I've already made up my mind and made the purchase.

I was just wondering if anyone else camps with walled tents instead of the standard issue Walmart, Canadian Tire, Cabela's, Bass Pros etc brand name tents?

I purchased mine here, free shipping by bus out of BC Canada. Pricy for sure, but comfy. ;D

http://www.deluxewalltents.com/tents.htm

I got the Deluxe model 8'x10'x5'. I see they sell some nice camp stoves for these to. Me likes.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Time to go camping after the glaciers melt.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

We used one here in Texas for a number of years at the hunting lease, until we built the cabin.  The thing would sleep 4, and it was cold, even with a propane heater.  We had put a hard floor under it, that the critters loved.  We were out in front around the camp fire, when a rattler crawled out from under the floor, got real exciting there for a few minutes.  It was what we needed to build the cabin.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

I've tented for years, sometimes just a tarp tent kinda like this walled tent idea. The only thing I ever had near the tent was moose and rabbits. The moose are kinda dumb they like to walk into the tie down lines. :D The rabbits are active at night, so sometimes one will bounce off the side. ;D Never had a snake problem except one time years ago we tented near a sand pit. That pit attracted snakes where they would come out to sun themselves, but they was never in a tent. ;)

clww

I had a tent I lived in for 19 months when I was "on-site" during our cabin build. It was a Cabela's 12 X 12 tent, but not a traditional wall tent. I've had that tent all over North America on several hunting expeditions.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LeeB

This one would have gone good in the memories thread. When you mentioned walled tent I could smell the oiled canvas of the old army tent my folks had when I was just a puppy. Lot's of memories came flooding back.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

I remember that smell too, dad bought one and used it once. It was motels after that but us kids had fun with the tent set up in the yard. I camped with a pup tent for years but got tired of sleeping on the ground with my clothes in the sleeping bag to keep them dry and warm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Dressing session on nippy mornings is always with a nice heater stove going. As with cooking breakfast and evening showers. I just had a tarp tent all last summer and on frosty mornings at the table I had that little heater on high, didn't take long to get toasty. I've never froze yet camping. ;D

BradMarks

I've had mine for a number of years for camping/fishing in the summer and elk hunt in the winter. Enough it's got a few small burn holes!  Duct tape for the patch job ;D  Got it after destroying my tow behind camp trailer - too many trips on one of the roughest 3 miles I know!  It's a 12x14, 5ft walls, ridge pole frame and exterior side poles, it's done well in some serious storms.  Purchased from Davis Tent in Denver, they are freindly and helpful.  They do custom work also. (and they didn't pay me to say that) fudd-smiley

WildDog

That's a comfortable looking tent. :)

When I was young we had ex army tents. Dad used to make my bed up in the steel trunk the tent was packed in, they were good days.

We bought a new VW Amarok 4wd yesterday to setup for camping. 1st on the list will be the 30 second setup OZ Tent  www.oztent.com/
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ESFted

Quote from: LeeB on March 29, 2014, 12:24:29 PM
This one would have gone good in the memories thread. When you mentioned walled tent I could smell the oiled canvas of the old army tent my folks had when I was just a puppy. Lot's of memories came flooding back.
I remember that oiled canvas smell too.  Spent a couple of summers in one of those back when I was a pup.  Good times.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Onthesauk

My great uncle and aunt spent their first winter outside Kalispell, Mt in 1950 in an old army surplus walled tent while they started building their house.  Outhouse too. 

Like my wife says, "Roughing it for me is a hotel without room service."
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Mooseherder

Are you going to use it by staying closer to the job this summer Bill?
I like your tent. :)

DonT

Looks like a quality product. Good for you for buying North American.I look forward to seeing some pics of it in use this year.  DonT

SwampDonkey

Moose, yes closer to work. Remember I also camped from the end of May to the end of October last year as well. :)

Mooseherder

I didn't realize you had camped out on the Bush last year.  The price seems reasonable for the size.  Hopefully it will serve you well.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, in the summer I came home Wednesdays for new ice.

Wellmud

Yep, camp in my wall tent every fall elk hunting, it was made by Montana Canvas. I have the wood stove, very handy when it is single digits. I didn't get a floor in mine as I felt like it would make it a hassle to roll up, I just use a heavy coated nylon tarp on the ground and a strip of carpet in front of my cot so I don't set my feet on the cold tarp when I get up ;D
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Magicman

Did you order the pole kit or will you cut your own??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Ordered the pole kit and the floor. Don't need the porch, that's easy to make with a tarp, some poles I have and ropes. I usually put a tarp over the roof of any tent I've ever had.

DonT

How are they at keeping bugs out?  I am sure camping in the bush you see your fair share of mosquitos.

blackfoot griz

I was fortunate enough to work for 7 years in the Bob Marshall Wilderness here in MT guiding hunters. I spent an awful lot of time in a wall tent. Although it was an awful lot of work for not a lot of money, they were the best years of my life.

m wood

I passed on one a couple weeks ago at an auction.  I couldn't inspect it real well and I was there for some other projects and on a budget.  I've wanted one for years.  I'm sure to be kicking myself in June for not having it.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

SwampDonkey

Don, I'll let ya know.  ;D One thing, I always lit mosquito coils last summer around the cook shack. But it was for the black flies for the most part. Depends on where you set up camp, some spots have hardly a mosquito until the sun goes down.  ;) :D

Same when thinning, some sites are a mass of mosquitoes and others not any.

Thank You Sponsors!