iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who took their time to teach you something when you were a child?

Started by CHARLIE, March 28, 2014, 10:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

I've been thinking about doing this for quite some time, so we'll see how it goes and if anyone will participate.

When you were a child, someone took the time to teach you how to do something. No matter how trivial a thing it seems now, back then it was a major deal. Tell us about it. You can enter as many items as you want and they don't have to be at the same time.

I'll start.

Brother Tom taught me how to tie my shoes. I wasn't very old and I remember standing on the front walkway and he knelt down and showed me how to tie my shoes. The only thing was, he was facing me so I learned to tie them backwards from most people and I still tie them that way.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sandhills

My dad and my uncle Norm, to name just two.  Uncle Norm taught me how to use grandpas riding mower and a good saying for the "old sayings" thread, "respect it, because it won't respect you", which has applied to a lot more things in life as time has gone by.  Can't even imagine the things and patience I've learned from watching dad.

VictorH

When I was very young 5-6 years old I would visit my mothers parents - my grandparents - I was always excited to see "big pa-pa"  He was a master carpenter and would teach me all he could or would.  I also had a severe speech impairment to the point that my first grade teacher thought I was learning impaired.  To clear things up I was sent to a psychologist for testing.  During that testing a set of cards were shown to me of carpenter tools.  Turns out that I had a college level knowledge of those tools and their uses.   :D :D  The report to the school simply stated that the only thing I had not learned, was what I had not been taught. ;)  Big pa pa was my favorite person growing up, and writing this brings a tear to my eye.  He passed when I was 18 and is buried at the National Cemetery in Springdale Ark.

Victor

justallan1

I'd say the biggest influence in teaching me growing up was my step father and the single biggest thing he taught me was, "It was built once, it can be built again." Then he proved it, over and over. He was so good a teaching me things that I didn't even know I was learning! :D
Yup, he's my biggest idol and I love him and miss him.

Allan

Ljohnsaw

I would say it has to be my dad.  I am the youngest of 7 siblings.  The most important thing I think he taught me (us) was never be afraid to try anything.  I watched him, as a kid, do all sorts of amazing things (only a high school diploma) and I just figured I could do it, too.  He passed away when I was 23.  I've done concrete work of all sorts, rough and finish carpentry, electrical, woodworking, metalworking, engineering, etc.  I have an A.S. degree in Engineering Science and B.S. Computer Science - not a very hands-on/dirty hands kinds of degrees.  People who knew what I did for a living (retired computer department manager) ask me how did I know how to do that, and I just say "I just gave it a try!"  I'm instilling that spirit in my son.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

My Dad taught me something called "Kiwi Ingenuity" It's the idea that there is always a way to do something, with the materials you have on hand. OK, it might not always be the BEST way to do a task, but if you don't have the "right" equipment, you can still get it done.

Applied sensibly, it's a great idea. Applied wrong, OK the failure can can be spectacular.  But if you want to see the the sort of thing it can produce?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten_V1000
Not bad for a guy tinkering in the basement.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Roger2561

My dad.  I have a vivid memory of watching dad repair something on the tractor.  If there was a bolt to be removed he would hand over the correct wrench and asked one us to remove it (I have 7 brothers and 2 sisters).   If we couldn't budge it (he knew we wouldn't) he would reach over and say let me try.  Of course it moved and he always gave us credit for loosing it for him.  As we got older he said it was fun to watch a 5 year old put everything his little body had into it trying to get that bolt off.  My dad always had a positive attitude.  You can do it, I can still him say.  That "can do" attitude has served me well over the years.  Too bad he's no longer around to offer those words of encouragement.  Even at 52 years old, it is still nice to hear.  He was the hardest working man I know, and he's earned his eternal rest.  Roger
Roger

Chuck White

My Dad taught me how to shovel snow, clean the barn, how to drive a tractor, milk cows, plow a field, how to bale hay, plow snow, how to drive a truck/car, he even taught me to not say certain thing (again)!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Dad has to be the first one that comes to mind, lots of repairs in the old days, never remember Dad ever calling repairmen, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Alcranb

For me it was my maternal grandfather, Pepere. I grew up on a farm and much like Chuck he taught me all those wonderful things. I remember him taping wooden blocks onto the clutch and brake pedals of a Farmall BN so I could drive it.
His passion was fishing and he passed that onto me. Long before fly fishing was the rage he taught me how to finesse a fly to a bass or perch and appreciate the fish regardless of size. Old fiberglass rods, nothing like what's available today  :D
He passed away some 38 years ago and like Victor I still get a lump in my throat thinking about him.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Texas Ranger

What every one else has said, all the adult males of my family, often they would be teaching me, but I thought it was the way it was supposed to be, fun.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

My late Brother Sam, taught me how to be quiet in the woods.  To sit or stand saying nothing and not moving and let the woods talk to you.  You learn to listen.  You learn to truly enjoy nature at it's best.

I still enjoy walking out on a ridge point, finding a big old Oak to lean against, and just sit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

Hands down that special person for me was my Father. He taught me 90% of what made me who I am today. Everything from how to use tools to how to clean a firearm, he taught it all in a loving way and with the patience of Jobe. I treasured each and every moment we shared and miss him dearly.

What he did was even more special to me, because he did not have to do any of it. You see he was my adoptive father. He was under no obligation to do a single thing in life for me, but he chose to and was the best father a boy could ever ask for. Sure do miss you Dad and looking forward to seeing you again.

Would also have to give credit to my grandmother, who at 75 years old taught me how to stick weld. I was 13 at the time and trying to learn how to weld on a 50 amp arc welder I just bought for $10 at a garage sale. It sure was cool looking, but I did not have a clue what I was doing and kept sticking the rod one attempt after another. All of a sudden I hear Grandma say "Your Doing it wrong". I stopped and turned to her and said, "with all due respect grandma, what do you know about welding"? She then proceeded to tell me how during WWII she was a welder in a shipyard in NY, 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, and how on an average day she would consume hundreds of welding rods and from tall scaffolds hugging the outside contour of the ship. In fact they used so many welding rods that once a ship was put to sea, they would use a clam shell excavator to dig out the inch our so pieces of the used welding rods that were dropped into the water so the next ship could fit into the port. A few hours later, Grandma had me welding like a pro.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

thecfarm

Busy Beaver,I like your Gandma story. I don't think anyone can beat that one.  ;D
I guess my Father too. No Grandfather here. That's what happens when you are born to parents older enough to be your grandparents.I worked with my Father cutting our firewood for years. He did the chainsaw work and I did the carrying. Than we started to log The Farm when I was in my 40's. I really learned alot for the 3 years that we was doing that. He taught me alot about the land,woods and the wildlife. Just by talking and talking as we work too. Some of the things he taught me,he did not even know he was teaching me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

Mom and Dad both.  Dad gifted me with all the do-it-yourself, hands on stuff...mechanic, truck driving, loading a trailer to not overload an axle, huntind and fishing.  Moms lesson came from within herself and was given to all her children. Patience.  It was the glue that made all the other lessons stick
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

m wood

Oh yeah,  Grandpa showed me how to make a Hi-ball at 6 and grandma taught me how to play dice for pennies.  I think it drove my parents nuts on those thanksgiving visits.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

sawguy21

:D Now that is funny. I never knew my paternal grandfather, only met my maternal gp's maybe a dozen times as they lived far away.
I was adopted at birth by the best parents I could have had. Dad had grown up in a single parent household, his father deserted them, and I honestly don't think he really knew how to be a dad.
Yet he taught me so much. He taught me to do the best job possible the first time and to try to see the good in people regardless of their behavior. I have made some good friends with people that shall we say didn't fit in the mainstream of society and have also been burnt but such is life.
He was a high school shop teacher and later vice principal, there are some wonderful stories on how he influenced kids headed down the wrong path to turn their lives around. He was also a gifted wood worker, could never understand how his kid wanted to play with wrenches and mechanical stuff.
Mom was the glue that held the family together. As I grew up I began to realize she really did know what she was talking about, we were the best of friends. This brings a tear to my eye, I really miss them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Delawhere Jack

Dad taught me how to shoot, and pretty much everything I know about wood and metal working. I wish I'd learned more about lathe work, but he wasn't always the most patient instructor. He also taught me how to think a problem through to a solution.

My sister taught me how to read and write by about age 5.

Mom taught me humility and patience. I often need a refresher course in the former.

Having five older siblings taught me to eat fast if you want seconds.

scgargoyle

Sadly, my Dad passed when I was pretty young (stop smoking NOW!) I looked up to a variety of father figures as I was growing up. One that comes to mind right now was the father of four boys who I ran with. They had a fleet of small boats, and guests were welcome to use them once they had been through the training. First, we had to learn how to scull the rowboat. Once we mastered that, then there was a rowing test. After mastering the rowboat, we got sailing lessons. After that, we were taught to safely use the power boats, starting with the little tin boat, and working our way up to the Boston Whaler (wow!) He made it fun, and probably taught us skills that kept us alive when we were doing stupid boy stuff on the water.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Billbob

Definitely my father.  He was a Canadian Army veteran of WW2, a veteran of the Normandy invasion and a police officer with 35 years service.  He was the major influence in my life and shaped me into the person I am today.  He taught me how to hunt and fish, how to travel in the woods, the different species of trees and their uses. How to use a chainsaw, an axe, buck saw, carpentry, vehicle repairs, and the list goes on and on.  Most importantly he taught me about love, loyalty, respect, kindness, generosity, perseverance, strength and standing your ground.  He's been gone for 26 years and I miss him everyday.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

landscraper

My dad taught me untold amounts when I young.  Electrical, electronics, math, carpentry, physics, farming, the outdoors, plumbing.  He taught me to take care of my shoes so they would last, how to sew a button back on my shirt so I didn't look like a bum. He taught me to stick up for myself, and to be confident.  Most importantly he taught me to think for myself, don't believe anything just because someone said it was so.  He was a child of the depression, Oklahoma dustbowl born and had lived through adversity with nothing.  He could, and did, make or fix anything.  He built 2 of the houses we lived, fixed every car and tractor we had, had an appliance and television repair business in the basement, the list goes on, and he always tried to show me why and what he was doing.  I kick myself for how much I resisted learning, and how much I butted heads with him when I got to my late teens because he had so much more to teach me, but then one day before I got a chance, he was gone.  I imagine that to some extent this is how it goes from many fathers to many sons. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

hardtailjohn

We had a neighbor (about 5 miles away) that taught me about machinery. He was the most patient guy I've ever known, and a hero of mine always! When I was in grade school, he'd take me with him to look at new logging machinery and let me try all of it out. It got a few of the equipment dealers a bit uneasy, but if I didn't get to try it, he wasn't interested. It worked every time! When I graduated high school, he had already hired me to drive logging truck (I'd been driving with him for years in trucks) and threw me in a one year old KW and worked the heck out of me! I never have worked so hard for anyone, nor have I had so much fun working for anyone...there was always some sort of joke being played by him or his business partner. I learned alot of what and who I am from him.  I also learned alot of things from some that were considered to be not so great roll models when I was a bit older... but it all leads us to who/where we are now, so I'm greatful to them all.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

CHARLIE

Wow! I've really enjoyed reading all of these accounts.

Harry Nelson, a local Aerial Duster and Sprayer taught me what hard work was. He showed me how to work on his Stearman Biplanes and when the head blew on his old '47 John Deere A, he told me to fix it. He would come over every now and then and keep me on track. He taught me to never let a dumb bolt or nut beat me.

Brother Tom taught me that if something didn't work, tear it apart and see if you can figure it out and fix it.  He said if it isn't working you can't hurt it.  He also taught me to sharpen a chainsaw.  I didn't want to listen to him 'cause he had worked me hard that day and I was tired, but I did.  I'm glad I did 'cause I can keep my chainsaw in good cutting order.

My mom taught me the basics of baseball. She spent many an afternoon after coming home from work playing catch with Tom and I.  She'd pitch and let us hit too and told us how to stand and swing. She made pretty decent ball players out of us, though Tom was far and away better than I.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Darrel

My dad taught me how to make wheels on his wood lathe when I was in first grade.  And oh, the possibilities this opened up for me.  Scraps of 2x4's could become trucks, and believe me, I had some long trucks!  He passed on about 6 years ago.  He'd be 100 if he were still alive. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Mooseherder

My SIL teaching grand baby how to fish.   They went to get her a pink and turquoise tackle box last weekend. :)

Chuck White

That's quite the fish story!

Pic is priceless!

She's hooked!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

For decades our local sheriff provided free bumper stickers "kids who hunt and fish don't steal and deal". One of the deputies sponsors supervised youth hunts twice a year, opening day of deer season, another on opening day of turkey season, Many of the participants, now older, serve as hunt supervisors for the next generation. They never forget..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Billbob

Quote from: pineywoods on March 31, 2014, 09:43:11 AM
For decades our local sheriff provided free bumper stickers "kids who hunt and fish don't steal and deal". One of the deputies sponsors supervised youth hunts twice a year, opening day of deer season, another on opening day of turkey season, Many of the participants, now older, serve as hunt supervisors for the next generation. They never forget..

I love that!  What a great slogan and it's so true! :)  Kudos to your Deputy Sheriff for being so community minded.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

sandhills

Mooseherder, that picture is priceless!  Last year on my fourtieth birthday my wife and I went fishing with a friend and his 3 year old daughter for her first time, like an idiot I forgot the camera but we fished in a little farm pond that hadn't been fished for 5 years.  She couldn't pull them in fast enough with her brand new little "Dora the explorer" fishing pole, when she'd get tired of reeling she just started walking backwards up the bank, out fished us all!  :D

Thank You Sponsors!