iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gnarly (Burly) Box Elder, Pictures Added

Started by justallan1, March 28, 2014, 09:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

Since the fires around here I can sure see more of what's here and keep finding Box Elders like this one and larger. Most of these are burnt inside, but there a bunches that are fine for sawing. I suspect being dead for a year and a half they would be hard a rock.
So, what's some ideas on what to do with the wood and are 12-15" trees even worth bothering with.
Allan

Magicman

Box Elder like that can also have some amazing "fire" inside.  It needs sawing.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

I did a small straight piece last year and that's why I'm interested.
I saw the ones you cut, Lynn, and they are beautiful.

Allan

justallan1

Well, I couldn't help myself. I had to bring the thing home. :D
Had a few hours between checking calves, went and dropped what's left of this tree, brought it home and sawed it up. I started with 1" cuts until I figured there was enough to do something with and got a couple 2" slabs for tables or something.
I'll be getting some more of these. ;D

How do you all like that fancy log arch :D

I'm thinking that the red in it will end up just two stripes once I get to the center and I'm not sure to flip the darned thing 180 and finish slabbing it out or get the nice slabs off the other side and then go 90 and get the edged boards?

These are the two that I cut 2". I didn't measure them, but figure they're about 6' long

Allan

Ocklawahaboy

Don't let a shrink get ahold of those, he'll be using them instead of ink blots

5quarter

That's some remarkable boxelder. Keep it completely out of the light and you'll have the best chance to preserve the red. That's pretty much what most of my box elder look like, except many of them are are hollow.  ::)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

backwoods sawyer

sounds like you had real good day checking calves and finding Gold ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

justallan1

Awhile back I had sawn one and stickered it and evidently didn't put enough weight on it because it cupped badly. This go around I'll be putting it indoors with a fan on it and bunches of weight.
The idea with the ink blots is very valid. I took a piece to show my girlfriend tonight and her and a friend sat and named all the shapes that they could see. ;D

Allan

muck

Red Good

Wow that's nice , good job on that ,your a lucky guy .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

drobertson

Allan, that is amazing looking wood, never seen anything like it other than pics,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Way to go Allan.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

I believe that you out did me with that color.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Now I need to find a market for them. I'll use the 1xs for pen blanks, clocks and plaques. I would like to make a table out of one next winter and I think they would make beautiful game mounts. My boss and his sons all hunt, so making a mount for a mountain lion may be in the works. They're all pretty darn good to me, so this gives me a chance to repay them a little.

Allan

scully

I find that kind of sawing very exciting ! My problem is that I want to build stuff out of everything I saw like that ! I really need a huge shop ! And as usual the junk log rule does not apply here .....
I bleed orange  .

backwoods sawyer

A mount like that would sure display a nice cat or two ;D 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

m wood

Nice find Allan, were you smiling as you took that first face off the log??  And about that log arch...thats pretty darn neat too :laugh:
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Jeff

One of those slabs from the bottom photo would look like a fine piece of art just hung on a wall. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

That is amazing wood. I have to agree with Jeff and think if you should finish it with a uv blocker and make a wall hanging sculpture with one. Probably bring several hundred dollars in a gallery.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

LeeB

I wood think the turners will be slobbering a bit when they see that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

That looks mighty fine. And than some!!!
Now about that logging arch. Must have a winch connected to it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

Beautiful now if you can keep that blood red color  ;)
Bill

justallan1

I have to laugh at myself on missing the plain obvious. I will be making one for a wall hanging. Thanks Jeff.
My fancy log arch is actually a hydraulic bed for feeding out bales of hay and I use it for everything.

Allan

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

Here's an update on these slabs that I cut last winter. I made a fatal mistake and didn't seal all of the faces, leading to lots of cracking. I had posted them for sale on another forum and they were bought up within a very short time, mostly to pen and call turners.
Here's a couple pics of what someone did with some of it.
After the gentleman posted pics of this call I asked him if I could share the pics elsewhere. I DID NOT MAKE THIS AND AM JUST SHARING SOMEONE ELSES WORK. LOL

Jeff

Well I guess I can't ask you to make me one then eh? :D

That's awesome.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!