iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ever cut burnt logs?

Started by jclvsall, March 27, 2014, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jclvsall

This is what happens when your loggers crew leave their lunch campfire and go back to work over the ridge.     The fire company had to come twice to put it out. 

Anybody else over cut burnt trees?

I was afraid it would be hard but it didn't seem to bad.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

drobertson

I have sawn fire scarred timber, bout like you said, not much different after getting the slabs off.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

redprospector

Keep your air filter clean. Burnt timber is some nasty stuff.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

jclvsall

Got a new airfilter today.  Plan to change it and the oil and oil filter when I finish the burnt logs.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Magicman

Just nasty and messy.  There should be no problem with the lumber. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Burnt logs is about ALL I saw. They're a bit messy, but seem to cut as good as any others for me. Between scorched pine and scorched cedar telephone poles it didn't take long at all to plan on strategic placement of the mill. :D Now that I have the mill in the barn I use a fan behind me and it helps considerably.

Allan

highleadtimber16

I've sawed a lot of burnt cedar. It's pretty tuff on blades, but makes some nice wood. The slabs also burn very quickly!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

dboyt

Debarker would be a good idea, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

pineywoods

I sawed tried to saw a load of burned pine once. Hunting camp guys burning garbage and let it get away into a pine thicket. Sawed OK except for the bullets and dry wall screws.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dablack

The four big pines that were around my house that burned, sawed up really nice.  It was already DRY!  All the other boards that Magic cut were wet and heavy.  The boards from the burned trees were nice and light.

The log without bark in this photo was a burned one. 

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Magicman

I must be having flashbacks or something, because I have seen a whack of logs exactly like that before.  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Mine were dirty and abrasive, otherwise ok.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

I cut old burnt beams nasty Does that count :D :D

I resawed. Them into 8x12. They were so nasty I cut them outside.
If I cut stuff like that again , The next time It will a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$ ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Well go figure that Peter ;D  You are in the money all the time 8)   I will say it isn't that bad, yes I said it, Isn't
that bad, I mean really, You have been in the Frozen tundra for what seems like years? and scarred timber is all that bad? ;D  I just have to say, "what gives with you?"   a hard @$$ or what? :D    waiting,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

backwoods sawyer

Several years ago the fires burned heavy in the county south of us, took almost four years for the bureaucrats to allow it to be harvested. Burnt doug fir logs were coming in by truck and rail. Besides being messy it was drryyy, dry doug fir tears and fuzzes up rather than cutting clean, lot of extra saw changes to keep sharp saws to minimize the deviation. Would much rather mill stinky old sinker from the annual pond clean out then overly dry wood.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

drobertson

I hear ya backwoods, fuzzy is a pain, only seen it on spruce wood, but can only imagine what other might be like.
If it is fuzzy then it is fussy,  no fun at all,  I just had to give Peter some gruff, I figure some folks may like dry wood after sawing frozen stuff  for what seems like forever ;D 

thecfarm

drobertson,I just a thinking here,mind ya,but I think he needed the money for some roofing for his sawmill building.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Hear ya! ;D  sharp pencils work well in the sawmill business ;D  all said , lots of milling is gravy,(or grits ;D)
it boils down to what pay the bills, and makes life sweater,  for us poor boys, it's just work, but would not trade it for anything,    david

tule peak timber

burnt logs - 33 % of total.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

drobertson

I reckon I have never sawn burnt logs, fire scarred, but well within the 1" or so slab to remove.  I reckon that many must be really bad to deal with,  never figured it that way.  A 1/3  loss is bad, the dust has never been an issue for me, but scale could be bad,              david

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on March 28, 2014, 09:51:07 PMI just had to give Peter some gruff, I figure some folks may like dry wood after sawing frozen stuff  for what seems like forever ;D 

Yes I'm sick of frozer logs. But when A job comes like that and you tell the customer the price and he jumps on it you know your low and I thought I was hi.
You know when you have it right when he pauses before he says ok.  :D :D :D

And cfarm, I made the mill shed and only put tin on the back side and not all the way. I did not know if what I have up will work for me. I went two years like this. But I think I have it worked out, This year it will change  :D I only want to buy the tin one time and not pach it in. Some times I can't makeup my mind :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

You got it going Peter, and real glad for for you! sincerely,  around here, price goes up, piles pile up, sad but true,
hard to figure,   custom cutting is a hard racket, I reckon the nature of the beast where ever one is,     david

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on March 28, 2014, 10:22:41 PM
  custom cutting is a hard racket, I reckon the nature of the beast where ever one is,     david

Yes it is, I have 2 big box stores 4 miles away from me and some customers can be a pith. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

tule peak timber

Hi David , I meant that a third of the logs cut here are fire damaged . I try to work the burn into a lot of designs in furniture , doors etc,....Lately no money from the feds or state to cleanup burned areas where I live so a shortage of logs period ! Times are a changing !!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!