iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch build finally complete Video added )

Started by 21incher, March 27, 2014, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Quote from: BLink on November 13, 2017, 04:57:48 PM
This looks really handy!
I work with an urban logger from time to time and he needs something like this on a larger scale to load logs onto his trailer.
Have you seen any bigger models like this?

I made this one... I think its BIG....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

firefighter ontheside

Has anyone ever made just an axle that you would put under one end of a log and then pick up the other end of the log with the 3 point on a tractor and then be able to pull the log that way?  That's what I'm dreaming up to bring big logs out of the woods.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

I had a rear dolly built and use it in conjunction with my log arch. The arch holds up the front end of the log. I don't see why something like this could not be used with a tractor to pick up the front and tow it within the limits of the tractor and terrain.

See dolly on left on the ground.

I lift the log with the winch on the log arch (You could use your tractor) set the log in the Vee and strap it in place with a ratchet strap.

I then hook the front of the log to my arch and tow it to my log yard - I see no reason you could not do this with your tractor if within its limits.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Quote from: firefighterontheside on November 14, 2017, 10:48:03 PM
Has anyone ever made just an axle that you would put under one end of a log and then pick up the other end of the log with the 3 point on a tractor and then be able to pull the log that way?  That's what I'm dreaming up to bring big logs out of the woods.
That makes for a pretty big turning radius in the woods. I kept mine as short as possible to track behind the tractor in my tight trails. It will go anywhere the tractor can fit.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

firefighter ontheside

I can only handle about10' at the most on my mill,so I wouldn't be towing anything longer than that out of my woods.  I think it will work great for my needs.  Pickup back with loader and slide wheels under.  Then pick up other end with 3 point and tow to my mill.  I don't want to be trying to carry big logs long distances with the loader.  This gives me some ideas.  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

olcowhand

I'm a new member, and I read this string after seeing a reference to it in another. 21incher, that is one of the most innovative and professional Fab jobs I have seen. Great job.
Just another one of many things I'm learning by being on this forum. Thanks for walking us through the thought process and build of this handy Log Arch!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

21incher

Quote from: olcowhand on January 11, 2018, 05:30:11 AM
I'm a new member, and I read this string after seeing a reference to it in another. 21incher, that is one of the most innovative and professional Fab jobs I have seen. Great job.
Just another one of many things I'm learning by being on this forum. Thanks for walking us through the thought process and build of this handy Log Arch!
Thanks olcowhand and welcome to the Forestry Forum. That is what happens when you have too much time on your hands.  You will find unlimited reference info on here and I am sure you will be contributing info and ideas in the future also.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

bigblockyeti

I just picked up a Strongway ATV arch rated for 1000lb and I'm hoping it pans out.  This is the kind of thing I would fab myself but get it 95% done in a week and finish the last 5% over the next year.  I'm hoping it doesn't let me down but it seems every time I buy something, the deficiencies show up pretty quick.  This looks like it will work well behind my Honda Rancher, if I had a bigger, more powerful UTV, I think I'd want something more robust.  Anyone have any experience with a Strongway log arch?

bobnic

I have a Strongway 1000lb arch that I pull with a Polaris Sportsman 550 and it works great.  However it came with no instructions on how to use it.  I have found that it is best to use the winch to raise the log then wrap the chain once around it, then lower the winch so the log weight is carried by the chain.  The log tends to swing around more if you carry the weight on the winch strap.  Sometimes I use a Logrite Junior arch as a rear set of wheels to keep the log entirely off the ground.  
Thomas 2413

Thank You Sponsors!