iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch build finally complete Video added )

Started by 21incher, March 27, 2014, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I noticed the Magic Man left the backbone of his arch projecting about 30" to the rear of the arch. Seems like this might aid in securing logs after lifting them with the winch. It would let you secure them behind the center of gravity of the log. Think I'll incorporate that feature.

Found an axle yesterday. 3,500# Dexter, 2" offset with hubs (sadly without wheels). The spindles are mounted into sections of 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" bar stock. I'll cut these and leave about 3" to insert into 2x4 tubing for the arch.

Been laying it all out on graph paper this afternoon. I want to have it all figured out before I start cutting steel.

All along I've been planning to make the arch so that it can be disassembled and carried on the flatbed, so I can take it and the mill to a job in one trip. The problem I envisioned was trying to lift the main arch section up and onto the flatbed. Then last night it dawned on me. The flatbed has stake pockets on the sides and the rear. I'll weld some hanger brackets on the arch, above the wheels, so that the arch can be lifted one side at a time and secured on the back of the truck.

21, have you gotten any orders for your lifting tongs yet? Looks pretty slick. You may be hearing from me about a set of those.  ;)

21incher

Delaware Jack I don't want anything to stick past the wheels so I can just flip it back and stand it up for storage. There is still another set of chain anchors and braces going on the rear of mine. The biggest logs I cut will be 12 ft and I always want weight on the hitch so I will always load with the largest side to the front. There will also be a lift on the front that will operate with the same winch and pick the log up level (if I am lucky) so no straps will be required, just a couple of chains to set it on. You have had better luck then me finding a axle, did you get electric brakes on yours? I am hoping that my lifting claw works as I envision it but don't get your hopes up until I test it. Can't wait to see pictures of your build. Mine will most likely slow down now until I find a axle and order some drill rod for pins, plastic for spacers, and pick a winch. Then I can begin work on the tongue asm.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Delawhere Jack

No brakes at the moment, but they can be added later. Designing for a max 36" log, and max 16' fully suspended (one or the other, not both). It should be able to handle 3,500 lbs but I doubt it will ever need to carry that much. In nearly two years working portable I can count on one hand the number of logs that exceeded 3,000 lbs.

Magicman

Quote from: 21incher on April 01, 2014, 07:04:49 PMand pick a winch. Then I can begin work on the tongue asm. 
I just got this winch for my arch.  LINK  It has a 3200 lb lift, two speed, and has a brake.  I did not want to have to depend upon having a battery plus deal with the additional weight.

QuoteI noticed the Magic Man left the backbone of his arch projecting about 30" to the rear of the arch.
For my use, the overhang has proven to be useful. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on April 01, 2014, 08:52:02 PM
Quote from: 21incher on April 01, 2014, 07:04:49 PMand pick a winch. Then I can begin work on the tongue asm. 
I just got this winch for my arch.  LINK  It has a 3200 lb lift, two speed, and has a brake.  I did not want to have to depend upon having a battery plus deal with the additional weight.

QuoteI noticed the Magic Man left the backbone of his arch projecting about 30" to the rear of the arch.
For my use, the overhang has proven to be useful.

That's the same winch I used when I had the manual mill. Very well built and heavy duty. It went along with the Turner mill when I sold it. Guess I'll be buying another one.

Lynn, I'm surprised that most arches don't have that overhang to the rear. If nothing else it could help avoid dragging a long log. Could also be useful to ensure that you've got some positive tongue weight, rather than having the tongue want to lift.

21incher

Thanks Magicman for the link to the winch. It is the heaviest duty one I have seen. I may also go electric and put a plug on my tractor to operate it, still trying to decide.
Today I made a couple of brackets to support the log, hold taillights, and hold the rear Ash bumper ( I put a Ash bumper on all the ag equipment I build )

The 2 brackets plasma cut and bent.

Welded them in place

They also keep the claw from swinging during travel. Also got the last cable pulley turned.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Man,you are giving that some thought. That will quite the weapon!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I guess when you take longer than two days to build something, you have time to think and get it right.  That will be a cat's meow.     ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I could spend 2 weeks on it and it still would not be right.   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on April 02, 2014, 07:28:19 PM
I could spend 2 weeks on it and it still would not be right.   :o
They only have to move logs and I think yours would work great. This is a result of a long winter and having time to sit around the wood stove and scribble up ideas. I don't need it until fall, but if I needed it quick it would look different. Seeing the logs being loaded on the trailer by Magicman's functioning home built arch is what gave me the inspiration to start on my own. Magicman figured out the hard part of how to simply load logs on a trailer.

Magicman

Thank You.  Necessity is the Mother of invention.  (old saying)   ;D

I am anxious to get my winch installed.  Problem is that the arch is at the tree farm and I am not.   :-\

21incher

No luck finding used axles or even reasonably priced new ones locally so I ordered new 1750 lb Dexter hubs and stub axles today from etrailer. They even had a free shipping special.  So it looks like everything is on hold until all of the parts arrive.

bandmiller2

Somehow the term "factory built" comes to mind. Sometimes we build something so well and HD that wouldn't be possible to build and market. Good job Mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Yea, that is a killer design, nice work, had to be fun, and  going out on a limb, I bet there are files somewhere with specs, just in case there is another build,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 05, 2014, 08:08:56 AM
Somehow the term "factory built" comes to mind. Sometimes we build something so well and HD that wouldn't be possible to build and market. Good job Mate. Frank C.
Thanks. Like my wife tells me I could go out and buy the item or I could build it for twice the cost. It is a fun small project for my spare time that keeps me out of her hair.
Quote from: drobertson on April 05, 2014, 08:56:52 AM
Yea, that is a killer design, nice work, had to be fun, and  going out on a limb, I bet there are files somewhere with specs, just in case there is another build,
Thanks. It is a fun project that has revolved about the claw idea. Originally I was going to build a crane with the claw to load my trailer and then I saw Magicman's post about loading a trailer with his log arch and decided the arch would be more practical and allow me to load any trailer. I keep all the dxf files and gcode for the parts so it will be easy to make replacement parts when things break.

Today I cut the mounts for the stub axles I ordered.

Axle plates

Welded them on the arch legs

Had to use a piece of tubing to align everything for welding. Once the axles are welded in place the front and rear will be filled in with gussets.

21incher

The parts from e trailer came this morning. Ordered them last Friday afternoon so that was quick shipping for free. Also received the drill rod and UHMW for the washers. Got a chance to do a little more work on it today

Got 3500 lb a set Dexter cast iron hubs, stub axles, lights and a wire harness.

Cut out and welded in the front gusset.

The axles fit perfectly into the brackets.

Welded the stub axles to the brackets.

Cut and bent 4 support brackets for the axles.

Welded in the brackets on the front. Have to flip it and weld in the rear ones tomorrow then the wheels go on. Getting pretty heavy now so I have to get help to flip it. Wound up spending my winch money on the hubs and axles so it will be a couple of weeks until I order a winch.

21incher

Today I finally have wheels.

It turned out quite stiff with all the braces.

A little more welding and grinding and then on to the tongue and front lift.

The claw in loading position. Starting to look like it actually may work someday.

Rockn H

Magicman

thecfarm

21incher

Quote from: Rockn H on April 10, 2014, 06:58:53 PM
I'm waiting to see some paint.   popcorn_smiley
It will be a while before it is done and painted. The snow is gone and my yard cleanup, firewood splitting/stacking, and garden are going to put this on hold for a couple of weeks.
Quote from: Magicman on April 10, 2014, 07:51:16 PM
My eyes are popping.   :o   smiley_thumbsup
Better see a doctor sounds painfull smiley_thumbsup_grin
Quote from: thecfarm on April 10, 2014, 07:56:55 PM
I'm waiting to see some logs.  ;D
Here are some logs to see smiley_exclamation smiley_exclamation

21incher

Got some time to work on it again while waiting for yesterdays snow to melt. Started on the parts for the front log lifter. It is mounted in the front vertical hitch tube.

The start of the parts. A UHMW polyethylene lower bearing block, the lifting shaft, top truck, and some old tubing for the vertical tongue.

The top truck is made with 4 cam follower bearings to guide the top of the shaft inside the tongue tube. It will keep the front lift from rotating. Had to weld on shaft collars  to lock it in place because the shafting is case hardened.

The lower bearing block gets bolted in the bottom of the vertical tube. The winch cable will double back and hook to the top of the shaft to drop both the claw and front lift and then levelly raise the log.

The parts out of the tongue tube.

Ga Mtn Man

I'm not sure what you're building but I'm pretty sure it no longer qualifies as a log arch.  :o
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

21incher

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 16, 2014, 08:00:15 PM
I'm not sure what you're building but I'm pretty sure it no longer qualifies as a log arch.  :o
Just a Swiss army log arch with a few added options. ;D

21incher

Got a couple of minutes to work on it today.

Cut a couple of plates to reinforce the front upright and mount the front lift cable pulley

Welded them in place

Just have to add the hitch to the bottom next.

Thank You Sponsors!