iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch build finally complete Video added )

Started by 21incher, March 27, 2014, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Today it finally got warm enough for me to go out in my shop and start building my log arch. I had some leftover tubing and steel plate from my sawmill trailer build and a couple of 5 lug 15 inch wheels. The only parts I am looking for are the hubs and spindles, It is being built to handle a max 24" x 12 foot log.

The basic arch frame.

Another view of the start of the frame

The forward support angles. Hopefully it will pivot and drop down to load the log when done

Rear view. The tongue is a old 3" x 4" tongue from a boat trailer

Plasma cutting the front supports

1/4" steel plate supports cut in about 2 minutes

Welding the l.h support in place.

The supports have pockets to lock the log support chains in place. This is as far as I got today but will post more pics as the project continues.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

pine

I will be following this thread.  Nice plasma cuts!

Ljohnsaw

Wish I had a plasma cutter!  Is it numerically controlled?  Those keyhole slots are sweet!  Need to see the overall in a pic when you get there.

Nice!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 27, 2014, 03:31:59 PM
Wish I had a plasma cutter!  Is it numerically controlled?  Those keyhole slots are sweet!  Need to see the overall in a pic when you get there.

Nice!
It is a CNC table that I designed and built a couple of years ago. Never got good cuts though until last year when I added Digital torch height control.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Freedom6178

Awesome I want one of those plasma cutters and a good welder.. I'll be following this build as well.. Thanks for sharing smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup ..
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

m wood

wow! your metal working is top notch (old saying).  looks like a great build going on.  What ya got for hubs?
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Andy White

Mark.
Nice looking arch. Workmanship looks top notch. Have plenty of support when you install spindles! Lots of stress there. I like the keyhole notches for the belly chain, but a small caution. Install rings on each end of the chain, because it will come off while traveling empty! Don't ask me how I know this. I had grab hooks on each side of mine, and lost the first chain, then welded the end link on one side and left grab hook on other. No more lost chains. Keep the pictures coming, and be safe.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busy Beaver Lumber

very impressive work. Like the plasma cutter additions. High Class act.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

21incher

Thanks everyone. It is always fun to start a new build after a long winter.
Quote from: m wood on March 27, 2014, 04:01:08 PM
wow! your metal working is top notch (old saying).  looks like a great build going on.  What ya got for hubs?
Mark I have no idea on the hubs yet. I just started looking on craigslist for a old donor axle and hubs ( hopefully with electric brakes ) but if I don't find one I will have to break down and order new parts.
Quote from: Andy White on March 27, 2014, 06:19:07 PM
Mark.
Nice looking arch. Workmanship looks top notch. Have plenty of support when you install spindles! Lots of stress there. I like the keyhole notches for the belly chain, but a small caution. Install rings on each end of the chain, because it will come off while traveling empty! Don't ask me how I know this. I had grab hooks on each side of mine, and lost the first chain, then welded the end link on one side and left grab hook on other. No more lost chains. Keep the pictures coming, and be safe.    Andy
Andy once I get axles there will be reinforcing brackets added to handle the stress plus I will be cutting other braces for the frame. I plan on mounting a couple of old ammo boxes on the tongue to keep the chains in when they are not being used. This will most likely take a while to complete in my spare time so please bear with me.
Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on March 27, 2014, 07:16:47 PM
very impressive work. Like the plasma cutter additions. High Class act.
Kind of like your CNC router. If you can draw it you can make it. What used to take hours only takes minutes.

Rockn H

I just thought I was impressed with those banjo holes... really impressed with you building the CNC. ;D

kelLOGg

I'm impressed, too. All else has been said. smiley_thumbsup

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Today I had some time to start on the log lifting claw. Originally I had the stupid idea to tilt the frame to load it, but after mocking it up I found out it will not work. So instead I decided to go with a winch and a claw. Here is the start of the claw

Designed and plasma cut the claws.

They wound up being pretty beefy because I only had 1/4 plate. Wish I had some 1/2 inch.

That is a 16 inch diameter plate, the jaws are designed to handle a 24 inch diameter log weighing 1500 lbs.

This is where the assembly will mount when done.

shown in open position to clear a 24" log. They will drop with a winch to load.

21incher

Working on the claw this morning. Cut the pivot plates and lifting links.

Starting to look like a big claw.

Claw in closed position

Pivot plates for the jaws cut.

Lifting links plasma cut.

Only 1 more set of plates and the claw will be complete. Still have to make some bushings, nylon washers, & 3/4 pivot pins. Then I must find a hand winch to raise and lower it. In the future I may add a electric winch so I don't even have to get off the tractor to load a log. Next comes the front log lift / cradle.

arkansas

Your work is top knotch Wish I could cut like that.  My hat off to you.
Working on a hot LT40HD for now

Billbob

Wow!  That is some serious craftsmanship!  Excellent work!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Delawhere Jack

When building an arch from square or rectangular section steel, say 2x2 or 2x4 inch, would 3/16" wall be sturdy enough? Or should I go to 1/4"? I doubt the arch would ever be used to carry more than a 3,000lb log.

21incher

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on March 30, 2014, 02:24:17 PM
When building an arch from square or rectangular section steel, say 2x2 or 2x4 inch, would 3/16" wall be sturdy enough? Or should I go to 1/4"? I doubt the arch would ever be used to carry more than a 3,000lb log.
I am using 3 x 4 x 3/16 wall for mine and only plan on a 1500 lb max log and that is what I will test it with. There still is more bracing to be installed. The material is really dependent on the design and bracing you use. You could probably get away with 1/8" with a good design. The highest stress area will be where the axles mount. and the forces will quickly increase if you are in a rocky area. Also from what I have read the 1" and 1  1/4" axles should only be used with 12" and under wheels. 15 " wheels require the larger stepped axles when there are no springs to help absorb the forces.

21incher

Another couple of parts this morning. Cut the pulley brackets that will raise and lower the claw.

Top pulley brackets

Made some spacers and welded the asm together.

Next I have to make the idler pulley for the cable to raise and lower the claw.

This is where the claw will hang. Over center springs will be added to keep it open when it drops and clamp it when down. Next I will pickup a manual winch and add a mount for it and pulleys. hoping to be able to operate both the front and rear lifts with 1 winch.

36 coupe

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on March 30, 2014, 02:24:17 PM
I went with 1/4 and 5/16 tubing on my arch.The stub axle sockets are 1/2 inch stock.My Dad always overbuilt things.He said if you are not sure go heavier.There are plenty of arch builds on youtube, some good ,some bad.One home built for sale was 6 feet high,a sure tipper.A tipper will take an ATV with it.

thecfarm

On smooth ground,which I sure don't have,you might get away with a light one. Uneven ground and a rock or a stump,and all the weight goes to one side,you will be glad you over built it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Today I cut the mounts for the cable pulleys that hold the claw.

The bottom one is sandblasted.

Welded them in place

Making the ball bearing cable pulleys next and then a couple more braces.

drobertson

Looking good, real good, wonder what color this one will be?  ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Quote from: drobertson on April 01, 2014, 08:45:03 AM
Looking good, real good, wonder what color this one will be?  ;D
Another green machine. I have a gallon to use up so the price is right. Today I turned 2 of the cable pulleys and pressed in the bearings and worked on finishing up the links.

2 of the cable pulleys

Turned the heads off the bolts and welded them in place so they don't back out later.

Thank You Sponsors!