iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HP rating woodmizer hydraulic pump motor

Started by Georgia088, October 05, 2022, 10:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia088

Can anyone tell me what size the 12v dc motor that runs the hydraulic pump on a woodmizer is?  

Also, if anyone can tell me: What size battery is needed to keep up and how many amps of charging are needed?  

I have looked, but  I can't find an online catalog with the woodmizer parts.

Thanks!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

If your mill is registered with Woodmizer, you should be able to setup an account to access the parts catalog.  If you bought your mill second hand, Woodmizer will  verify ownership with the previous owner.  

I sold my mill in January, Woodmizer checked with me to make sure the new owner was legitimate.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crossroads

I don't know the rating, but I ordered one last week and was told the inventory shows negative 46.. glad the brush replacement got me back on the road. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Georgia088

I have a home built mill that I am adding hydraulics too. My 1 hp dc motor seems undersized. I was considering ordering dc motor from woodmizer, but I can't seem to find an online catalog without a customer ID. 

customsawyer

I don't know what the HP is. On my LT70s there are two pumps in line to make it a good bit faster than a single pump. It runs off of a 31 series Interstate battery and a 160 amp alternator.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Crossroads on October 05, 2022, 10:50:18 PM
 I ordered one last week and was told the inventory shows negative 46.. glad the brush replacement got me back on the road.

That's why I have 3 on a shelf.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Give this supplier a call:  Mason Dynamics

They can supply just the motor or the whole pump unit.  I bought two new motors from them when I could not get replacement brushes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Georgia088

Quote from: Magicman on October 06, 2022, 06:39:26 AM
Give this supplier a call:  Mason Dynamics

They can supply just the motor or the whole pump unit.  I bought two new motors from them when I could not get replacement brushes.
THANKS!! This is what I needed.  So it appears these are 1.6 KW motors which is about 2 HP.  Do some Woodmizers only use 1 of these and one pump? 
 Which pump do they use?  
I know some use two pumps as stated above.  This makes it faster, but does it use twice as much battery (current draw)?  I am concerned about keeping my battery charged.  I have two batteries in parallel  One rides on the mill head and the other is stationary near where the pump will go.  I have a drag chain that has a 10 gauge wire that runs from the charging system of the engine to the stationary battery(and also the battery that is mounted on the mill), but the charging system only puts out about 30 amps.  Usually I am close enough that I could run a power chord and battery charger to help supplement the charging system. 
I am currently using an old 1 HP golf cart starter generator, and it works, but it gets really hot!  I am sure I am going to burn it up.  Just trying to figure out the cheapest and best way to move forward.  I could possibly mount an alternator, but it would be a pain.  I would also probably need to increase the wire size that runs from the charging system to the battery.  
I have the pineywoods turner mounted and working and I have ordered the material for a log loader and power backstops.  I haven't used the mill since adding the turner, I have only "played" with turning a log.  The 2 year old battery I had was drained very quickly. 
Thanks!

Magicman

The SuperHydraulic sawmills have two pumps.  The standard hydraulic has one.

The key to the power situation is the alternator.  Mine has a 140 amp alternator while the LT70 SuperHydraulic's is larger as customsawyer stated above.

The engine idle should be high enough that the battery voltage should read ~14.5v with the engine at idle when not using the hydraulics.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sod saw

Georgia088,

When attempting to size a charging system it is best to know all of your loads, and how long (minuets or hours) they will operate.

You have stated that perhaps the motor in question is 1.6 kilo watts;  equals (=) 1600 watts.

Using a derivation of Ohm's Law where the voltage multiplied by the current (amps) = power (watts).

In your case I assume that you are using a 12 volt battery system .

looking for the current flowing thru the wires we have:  power (watts) divided by voltage = current (amps).

1600 watts divided by 12 volts = 133 amps     =   large wire size (diameter) & short distance.

Next question:

Will your charging system recharge the 12 volt battery?  When looking at your generator out put I notice three limiting things.  
-One item that may limit the recharging of your battery is  the generator size.  We don't know for sure if this is really a limiting factor because we have not looked at the amount of time that your motor will operate.  If your motor only operates for a minuet or so and is off for a long time then your generator may be able to replace all the power that was "used up" in that min or so.
-another item that may limit your recharging is the wire size from the generator.  10 gauge wire is rated for about 30 amps.  You may be able to squeeze some more thru it for a short time but then again with 12 volt system the length of that wire limits the amount of current.  (You noted that the generator and wire are warm)
-Another limiting factor is time as noted above.  You may be able to recharge your battery with a small charging system if you allow enough time (hours) before you use that motor again (not likely).

If your 30 amp generating system operating at 12 volts will put out about 360 watts, according to the formula above, how long will it take to recharge that 12 volt battery?

To confuse things even more, we have not touched upon the types of batteries available and how far can they be discharged without damaging them, or how many discharge cycles can each battery type take, or the cost of different battery types, or the rate of acceptance that each type will accept during recharging time. Is your battery a starting battery or deep cycle battery?

There are a lot of different things to keep in mind when designing an electrical system.  Please don't feel bad if something goes haywire in the process.  Even those of us who do this daily have mishaps and design flaws that need to be worked thru.

It sounds like you are asking the right questions.  Keep at it.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Georgia088

Quote from: Sod saw on October 07, 2022, 10:17:07 AM

Georgia088,

It sounds like you are asking the right questions.  Keep at it.

Thanks for the info!! Yes, I have many unknowns.  The biggest of which is how much time I will be using the hydraulics.  I have never used hydraulics on a mill before, but have always wanted them.  I am sure I am going to be short supplying my battery with current in vs. current out.  These are the things I plan to add to use hydraulically:
A bootleg version of the pineywood turner (I already have installed and learning the curve of rolling a log (made of (1) 2.5 x 6" cylinder and (2) 2.5 x 14" cylinder)
Homemade power back stops.  3 backstops connected together running off of one hydraulic 2.5 x 6" cylinder
Homemade log loader.  made of (2) 2.5 x 14" cylinder 
The cylinders are bigger than what my design called for, but I got them because they were cheaper.....  
To throw a kicker on the electrical demands of this machine, I use 2500lb 12v winch to raise/lower the head and a scooter motor to pull the head down the track. Everything runs off of 12v:  with the exception of I have a homemade setworks type system using a coded microcontroller that runs on 5v.  
I am not very smart, but I am pretty confident my 24 HP gas engine that has a 24 amp charging system (sorry I over estimated above saying 30)
 is not going to keep up with the demands of my system. 
 link to motor:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LIFAN-1-1-8-in-24-HP-V-Twin-Electric-Start-Keyway-Shaft-Gas-Engine-with-24-Amp-Charging-System-LF2V78DT-C/204123116
The engine has always kept the batteries charged to run everything prior to the addition of the hydraulics.  I even had a winch running off the same batteries that I used to roll logs with and the charging system would keep the batteries charged for this.  
I just bought a new battery.  I will catch flack for the brand probably, but it is economical and has a decent warranty.  Here is the battery:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Marine-Battery-Group-Size-29DC-12-Volts-845-CCA/20531539
I will try and upload the plans I came up with based on my mill for the mechanical side of my hydraulic additions.  They are much prettier on the cpu than the actual parts, as I am using scraps that I have laying around to make these items with.  
Thanks for all help/advice!

Georgia088

This is a quick animation of what I am thinking.  Like I said earlier the turner is already installed.  The backstops and loader have parts ordered, and they are awaiting me to get some free time to work on them.  Maybe this link will work:

There will obviously be two of the loader arms connected together.  There is only one in the screencast.
https://autode.sk/3yo59cf

Hilltop366

Other options if you haven't considered them would be ac power if stationary or another small gas engine if mobile or remote.

To me the gas engine has a lot of advantages over electric as it would cost less than a larger alternator, batteries, cables, dc motor and it will not use up mill power saving it for the blade. Not sure how much power an alternator would use at peak but I'm thinking at leas 5 hp.

If only used to control things on the mill bed it could be set up so that it idles when not being used and speeds up when using the hyd by switch and solenoid or a simple throttle cable setup with a foot pedal or push plate that you push with your leg.

Crossroads

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 06, 2022, 06:26:18 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 05, 2022, 10:50:18 PM
I ordered one last week and was told the inventory shows negative 46.. glad the brush replacement got me back on the road.

That's why I have 3 on a shelf.
I'm behind on a few items, but I'm catching up. 
Thanks Lynn, I'll get ahold of them. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

ladylake

Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 07, 2022, 12:13:15 PM
Other options if you haven't considered them would be ac power if stationary or another small gas engine if mobile or remote.

To me the gas engine has a lot of advantages over electric as it would cost less than a larger alternator, batteries, cables, dc motor and it will not use up mill power saving it for the blade. Not sure how much power an alternator would use at peak but I'm thinking at leas 5 hp.

If only used to control things on the mill bed it could be set up so that it idles when not being used and speeds up when using the hyd by switch and solenoid or a simple throttle cable setup with a foot pedal or push plate that you push with your leg.

Right, a small gas engine or ac electric  is a way better setup than a 12 v electric.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Not sure how much power an alternator would use at peak but I'm thinking at leas 5 hp.

I looked it up, they use 1 hp for every 25 amps so that would be a big drain on a 25 hp or so  gas motor.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!