iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peach Tree stump beginning to sprout...help!

Started by ReggieT, March 26, 2014, 10:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey guys,
Several yrs ago disease or a saw got a hold of this peach tree and reduced it to a stump. Yet, last yr we noticed it sprout, bud and produced some small peaches.

What can I do to help what's left to get full, healthy and productive?
Any fertilizers, nutrients?...I was thinking of putting some high powered chicken or cow manure around it and keeping it watered.
Also there is a decent size ant mound right up against it...how do u handle that without further injuring the tree?

Thanks,
Reg

Tom the Sawyer

ReggieT,

I have had this happen and there is a good chance that it won't be the tree that was originally there.  Many fruit and ornamental trees are grafted stock.  They use a very hardy root stock for the graft and when the original dies off it could come back from the root stock.  Perhaps even a different species.

A couple of years ago I had a purple leaf plum ornamental tree that froze back during a bad winter.  The next spring it sprouted at the base just as yours did.  The leaves were somewhat different but it did survive so I let it go.  The next year it bloomed but I didn't think anything of it until it set peaches.  It is still alive and produces more than 100 peaches a year.  They are small, probably older species of peach, but tasty.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ReggieT

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on March 27, 2014, 09:03:33 AM
ReggieT,

I have had this happen and there is a good chance that it won't be the tree that was originally there.  Many fruit and ornamental trees are grafted stock.  They use a very hardy root stock for the graft and when the original dies off it could come back from the root stock.  Perhaps even a different species.

A couple of years ago I had a purple leaf plum ornamental tree that froze back during a bad winter.  The next spring it sprouted at the base just as yours did.  The leaves were somewhat different but it did survive so I let it go.  The next year it bloomed but I didn't think anything of it until it set peaches.  It is still alive and produces more than 100 peaches a year.  They are small, probably older species of peach, but tasty.

Tom...thanks a lot that's some ready handy information...should I have any worries about the ant mound and are there any nutrients I can use to help it along?

Reg

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

I do not see a graft or bud union on the stump but it probably was grafted using a root stock and a different bud stock.  You may be able to push some of the fruit to a bigger size by pruning off all of the limbs/twigs that are smaller than a pencil and keeping an open center (scaffolding) to allow a lot of light.  Also, when peaches do start growing, pick off a lot of them so that the ones left can get more of the nutrients available.  Good luck.
Caveman
Caveman

goose63

Get some minnows let them die start to rot pore the water out by the tree once a month make good plant food
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

5quarter

Tom...Turning plums into peaches? What other amazing powers are you keeping from us? ;) ;D ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

sim0n

Quote from: 5quarter on April 12, 2014, 01:18:10 AM
Tom...Turning plums into peaches? What other amazing powers are you keeping from us? ;) ;D ;D

We've grafted apricots on to half a dozen of our plum trees  ;D

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

My Dad had the opposite happen as Tom. Dad loved apricots. He planted a tree that got to the point it bore some apricots. He was worried about Rabbits getting the tree, so he put some fencing around it to keep out bunnies. That next spring, he was tilling around the tree and accidentally snagged the wire. Before he could get the tiller shut down, it had wrapped up his little prized tree and broke it off just above the ground.

The next year The tree root spouted, but seemed different. Eventually we found it had come back up a Plum tree. My dad hated Plums.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I have had plums here, but every one gets the black knot and a cherry I had got canker. Had apricot trees that bloomed every spring, not a single fruit, pears all cankered, peaches all winter killed. So I quit on anything except an apple tree. The toughest fruit tree on earth. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

Let them sprouts grow !!! When they reach 2 to 3 feet in length, they make an excellent tool for training unruly kids. Oh do I remember peach tree switches.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

My Dad used willow. "Go get me a willow switch", was heard outside. Inside, was "Go get me my belt". I've had an aversion to weeping willow trees all my life. Can't avoid the use of belts though. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

elk42

Jeff
    I can relate to that weeping willow switch, that's what my mother used on me.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Ron Scott

Yes, parenting was a little different during our younger days. I can remember those switches. ;)
~Ron

Jemclimber

I used to think my dad had the fastest belt draw on the planet.  ;D It seemed like he could undo it single handed, pull it out and grab the tip and the buckle in one swipe with one hand. Then grab the loop end with the other hand and it seemed he always had to make it snap a few times to put that extra little fear of how it was going to sound when it smacked my behind.  Looking back at the stuff we did as kids, I think I'm lucky that's all I got.  :D
lt15

Magicman

My Dad always said that he was going to beat me with a "PissElm Club".  He never did, but the fear was there.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

luvmexfood

As far as feeding the tree Scotts Miracle Grow has some spikes you stick in the ground around the tree with the correct nutrients for the tree and not very expensive.

I did things growing up that thank god my kids never did. We used to have BB gun wars and shoot each other. Wonder we never got an eye put out.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!