iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

setting bridges

Started by smwwoody, March 26, 2014, 08:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Setting some steel bridges this morning. 

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

some times i wonder how i worked 20 years ago without steel bridges and wooden mats
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Peter Drouin

Years ago we put logs in the brook the way the water ran [ log forge ] then when done just push them out, Now we use Skidder Brige. 8x10x16' to 24' 3 of them 4' wide to make it 12' wide. :)
But steel is the way to go, where do you get them?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

smwwoody

I bought the steel tubing at scrap price and built them myself. They are 30 foot long and work with the trucks or skidder. One set is 3 pannels 3.5 feet wide. And the other is 3 pannels 4 foot wide. I like the smaller ones better they are easyer to handle. The big ones weigh 8000lbs each
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

loggah

I used to do the same thing with my Franklin grapple, years ago i had a 70' bridge beam that was damaged it was 3' high with 12" flanges 1" thick .i cut it into 3 23' long pieces and i used that for a skidder bridge or truck bridge they worked great ,my brother ended up making a permanent bridge out of it a few years ago.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

treeslayer2003

jwilly3879

Nice stick of wood. What's the bridge made out of?

I have plans for bridge panels made from 6x6 and 6x8 hemlock timbers if anyone is interested.

treeslayer2003

tree is avg. poplar [tulip] matts are 24x5 foot white oak 8x10s bolted together with 1-1/2" bar stock threaded each end. crane matts, they make a lot of um here but they not cheap.
I set the same way but the 540 sure is front light doing it.

br389

Iam interested in those plans... I have a job coming up were I am going to need some type of bridge thanks

Peter Drouin

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on March 27, 2014, 07:53:48 PM
tree is avg. poplar [tulip] matts are 24x5 foot white oak 8x10s bolted together with 1-1/2" bar stock threaded each end. crane matts, they make a lot of um here but they not cheap.

What do they get for them?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ed_K

I was offered some at $100 per section,so $200 for a 16' bridge.
Ed K

smwwoody

I do have a few sets of the wooden crane mats that i use for bridges also.  I do like the idea of wood better than the steel.  ( we should support our own business as much as we can )

This place builds a lot of bridges and mats  http://longislandlumber.com/

I sell them logs some times

Do yourself a favor and go to their site ad read the about us story.  it will  make you proud to be part of this industry.  this kid worked against the odds and is a huge success
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treeslayer2003

boys, them two matts cost me 1700 new. consider they are made from good sized white oak and what it brings. you can buy gum matts cheaper but they won't last but a year or two, the white oak I can get 7-8 years if keep off the ground when not in use.
I like the idea of steel, I was toying with the idea of converting a flatbed but widening it would be costly.

smwwoody

treeslayer

I find the multi panel bridges much more user friendly.  they are easyer to handle

Here is a link to an old post of mine with the same bridges https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,65549.msg979041.html#msg979041 it shows how easy they are to handle.  i use them both for trucks and skidders
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Ed_K on March 29, 2014, 08:48:39 AM
I was offered some at $100 per section,so $200 for a 16' bridge.
must been used? you shoulda got um if they was in good shape. a bit short for around here though, sometimes 30 footers ain't long enough.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: smwwoody on March 29, 2014, 09:06:48 AM
treeslayer

I find the multi panel bridges much more user friendly.  they are easyer to handle
yup, I was gonna put a single axle in the middle so it would drop in the creek when backed over. we have some wide deep crossings sometimes.

smwwoody

i have thought about that same thing for long bridges
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Ed_K

There's an ad in western world mag.that sells RxR flat cars,I don't know how much,but they offer up to 90'.
Ed K

treeslayer2003

hmm, wonder how wide they are? 10' works ok. 12' would be better.

Peter Drouin

I do make them for a customer .

A&P saw Mill LLC.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: smwwoody on March 29, 2014, 09:06:48 AM
treeslayer

Here is a link to an old post of mine with the same bridges https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,65549.msg979041.html#msg979041 it shows how easy they are to handle.  i use them both for trucks and skidders
they do look nice. how thick a wall is the tubeing? do they flex at all?

smwwoody

i dont remember the wall thickness it was about 7 years ago that we built them.  If I had to guess they are 3/8.

no flex spanning 22 feet crossing with a loaded tractor trailer or even my triaxle
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!