iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-mizer deals and overall prices (LT35 in particular)

Started by beamero, March 25, 2014, 10:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beamero

So I wanted the LT28, but after seeing the LT35 on sale, it would be about the same or a little less than if I upgrade the engine, etc. on the 28. My question is, will Wood-Mizer haggle over price like most sales? If you you have a LT35, what did you give for it with any extra goodies?  I'm looking to purchase the LT35, with toe boards, and a pack of blades. I'll be traveling to pick up the saw, so I should not incur a delivery fee.  Thanks in advance!! Stephen
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

scully

I have not seen the new sale flyer yet . But in the recent past it only made sence to go up to the 35 even if it was a tad more . Remember ,you get the bed like on it's big brother just not the head ...... I just debated this very topic with the boys up at WM.
I bleed orange  .

beamero

2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

hunz

Woodmizer doesn't haggle on their listed prices, hence their more for less discounts that go on from time to time. I'm assuming you are looking for a manual mill with the log deck package. We all have our opinions, so take mine for what its worth. I'm not sure what will be gained by going with a lt28 manual vs a lt35 manual. I know they have small upgrades, which might be only what you're after. I opted for the 35hyd, and at times with the big logs(28"+), long for the throat width of the lt40. Are you looking to use it for strictly personal use? To me this would be my determining factor. After seeing an lt50 run, and comparing it to the manual mill I had....with the task I had at hand, and a sore back; hydraulics became a must fast. I sawed about 1000bd/ft of white pine myself today, and still had plenty of energy at 4 pm(quitting time). FYI, I paid $20,600 for mine, mind you the more for less was going on, and I am sales tax exempt.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

StimW

I sent them an email with a question and got no answer.
I went to their website and clicked on the live chat in the middle of the day and got no response after 10 minutes.
Then I found a killer deal on a HF mill and bought it!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

beamero

Mostly for personal use. I have a 555C Backhoe loader with tongs, so moving logs isn't an issue. I grew up working a circular mill, so I know how labor intense it can be. What do you have to provide to be tax exempt for "farm use"?
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

beamero

Nevermind on the tax exempt portion, I found all of the forms.
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

MartyParsons

Hello,
I can answer the question about the difference of the two models.
LT28 has an optional power feed. LT35 the power feed is standard.
LT28 has the saw head cutting height set manual. LT35 has power up and down and simple set works.
The bed frame is the same on the LT28, LT35 and the LT40 mills that are manual.
The LT28 does not have brakes on the trailer. The LT35 does have trailer brakes, this is if you would add options like the hydraulic loading kit or other options you can with out issues with D.O.T. and axle weight
LT28 does not have an alternator. LT35 does have an alternator and you can add the debarker option to the LT35.
Both mills can cut 21' and 32" in diameter.
LDP or Log Deck Package is available on both the LT28 and LT35.
You can get a 18 hp (LT28 only) or a 25 hp Kohler or 17 hp Diesel on both mills
If you want to talk price you will need to call. Because it is the right thing for the Forestry Forum.  :)
Thanks
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

beamero

2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: StimW on March 26, 2014, 12:33:52 AM
I went to their website and clicked on the live chat in the middle of the day and got no response after 10 minutes.

I just don't understand comments like this and don't know why some people continue to use the forum to bad mouth very reputable companies. I do work for woodmizer and am also a woodmizer owner. I call there about 3 times a week on average and have never failed to get an answer to all my calls. In fact they have some of the best telephone service you will find of any company. Likewise, I have never had a single email gone unanswered during business hours. I have ordered parts at 4:00 in the afternoon and had them show up at my door at 9:00AM the next day without paying a premium for next day service. Lets see if you get service like that from HF
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

landscraper

I think Hunz and MartyParsons nailed it in that the LT35 has more upgrade potential, and right off the get go it comes with some stuff that will make a world of difference like power feed, power up/down, and simple set. 

Marty - you said "You can get a 18 hp (LT28 only) or a 25 hp Kohler or 17 hp Diesel on both mills".  Is that still true of the 25hp Kohler CH730 engine since January 1 of this year or isn't it part of the J1940 Small Engine Horsepower lawsuit/settlement and now the CH730 is being shipped with new mills labeled as a 23.5 horsepower even though that model is the same model number/arrangement number that they labeled as 25hp until October 2013?  I know my new LT35 came with a 23.5hp motor even though it is still advertised/quoted as a 25hp.  I understand the nuances of the lawsuit/settlement, just pointing it out.  I'm sure WM is playing catchup on the advertising that references the engines affected by the settlement since it is only certain models.

By the way on the badmouthing - all I can say is that I have only been on hold a few times, usually no more than 5 minutes, and I have always gotten great service.  Normally someone answers pronto, and I have been impressed with how fast they ship stuff.  Knowledgeable, helpful people. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on March 26, 2014, 06:48:49 PM

I just don't understand comments like this and don't know why some people continue to use the forum to bad mouth very reputable companies. I do work for woodmizer and am also a woodmizer owner. I call there about 3 times a week on average and have never failed to get an answer to all my calls. In fact they have some of the best telephone service you will find of any company. Likewise, I have never had a single email gone unanswered during business hours. I have ordered parts at 4:00 in the afternoon and had them show up at my door at 9:00AM the next day without paying a premium for next day service. Lets see if you get service like that from HF
If that was his experience, it is what it is. 

Nomad

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on March 26, 2014, 07:24:14 PM

Agreed.  I'm a WM owner too, and generally quite happy with their service.  On occasion I've had experiences similar to StimW's.  Not often, but it has happened.  No company is perfect.  Stuff happens.  This is a forum.  We're supposed to be able to discuss good and bad experiences.  That isn't bashing anybody; it's just talking about personal experiences.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

SawyerBrown

Quote from: nomad on March 26, 2014, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on March 26, 2014, 07:24:14 PM

Agreed.  I'm a WM owner too, and generally quite happy with their service.  On occasion I've had experiences similar to StimW's.  Not often, but it has happened.  No company is perfect.  Stuff happens.  This is a forum.  We're supposed to be able to discuss good and bad experiences.  That isn't bashing anybody; it's just talking about personal experiences.

Agree with you, Nomad.  In fact, it's kind of refreshing to see that even Woodmizer is not perfect ... but in my opinion, darned close to it.  As I told the folks in Indy when I picked up mine, I searched for anything ... ANYTHING ... negative, and found none, so ... sold!  It's nice to see they're, well, human.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

MartyParsons

Hello,
I did not post the correct engine hp. I guess old habits die hard. The Kohler engine did not change but the sticker on the air cleaner went from 25 hp to 23.5. Sorry.

If you call our location we do our best to answer every phone call with out it going to the message. We just brought on a new employee on Monday to help out. We do our best to call back as soon as we get the message.
I am very sorry you had a bad experience.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Wellmud

Last year I was set to buy an LT28 when they were on sale but found an LT35 manual barely used (15 minutes run time) and purchased it. Having no experience with any other mill I would tell you that I would not want to do without the power feed, power head up/down and the simple set works-it works very slick, pre set the thickness you want to cut, hit the lever and head drops to the pre set, hit the feed lever and you are sawing. The fabrication work on the Woodmizer is excellent, as I am sure it is on many of the other mills.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

beamero

Thanks again for all the replies! Hopefully I'll be a happy owner of a LT35 by the in of April! 8)
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

SawyerBrown

Congrats beamero!  I love my hyd.  It's entertaining just to see people craning to see what that machine is I'm pulling down the highway, or to stop by and watch the whole process, often with their mouths agape 

Have fun, but especially be safe!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!