iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood on shares?

Started by nastcat, March 25, 2014, 06:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastcat

This year my Brother-In-Law and I are finding that a lot of the ash in the swamp behind my house is already getting punky or rotting on the inside. A freind of mine's stepson hit some hard times and needed wood to heat his house, so I struck a deal with him to cut on thirds. He would get a third for cutting and processing, My BIL would get a third for cutting and processing. I would get a third for owning the wood and equipment. I thought this was pretty generous. I figured that I should really get half for owning the wood much less providing the equipment and fuel. I want to know if I am off base here or is he? He now thinks that he shouldn't have to cut 3 cord to get one cord. If that is the case who gives up their third.

Corley5

Tell him to cut wood somewhere else  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

NWP

Quote from: Corley5 on March 25, 2014, 06:37:32 PM
Tell him to cut wood somewhere else  :)

X2

Or pay him hourly and then make him buy the wood from you by the cord.  I'd bet he'd think it was an ok deal then. ;)
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

If I was supplying the fuel and the equipment for a finish product I would want half.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nastcat

I definately am going to do that if he confronts me about it. He was talking to my BIL today. Just wanted to know I that arrangement sounded fair or in I was off base. NWP I would not pay him at all, he could just buy wood from me and my BIL or cut somewhere else. thecfarm that is what I thought also I was being nice, now kinda feeling dumped on.

thecfarm

I suppose they feel they are doing all the work and you are not doing any of the work.   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

Dose he like sleeping a warm house? you my friend are right on base here you are supplying every thing what more could he ask for
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

nastcat

thecfarm, My BIL thinks everthing is fine, it is just the other guy is starting to think it is not fair. The equipment they are using is my saws, my splitter, my dump trailer, my one ton dually, and the old iron mule.

thecfarm

OMG on the equipment in use.and one is complaining.  ::) Are you going to carry it in this winter for him to burn too?  ::)

nastcat

I thought it was a pretty nice set up. For me it kinda makes getting the firewood fun. Would much rather be doing that than working in the foundry.

luvmexfood

Well you might offer to go over an fill his stove and woodbin everyday. :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

nastcat

Maybe I could just buy him propane so he doesn't have to load the stove at all, Ah Nope!

Southside

No good deed goes unpunished.  Perhaps this "reaction" of his explains some of why he is falling on hard times.  You could ask him if he plans to pay for any repairs should they he break something.  You have given more than what is fair here. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OntarioAl

nastcat
You have been more than fair in fact more than you may realize. On this side of the border if he gets hurt you would be deemed his employer and liable for worker's compensation.
If I were you I would tell him to pound sand before this deal goes sour. He has nothing to lose unfortunately the same does not hold true for you.
My nickels worth.
Al
Al Raman

redprospector

Tell this clown to hit the road. Otherwise he will start complaining and running his mouth around town, and the next thing you know, instead of being a nice guy trying to help someone out with a very generous deal, you will have a damaged reputation and be known as someone who would take advantage of someone who is down and out.

Don't ask me how I know this.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

BargeMonkey

Unfortunately it doesn't help to be the nice guy. Even 50-50 you where still extending yourself with providing the wood and all the equipment.

Hilltop366

Tell him if he brings an axe, bow saw and wheelbarrow he can take home all he cuts.

lynde37avery

my brother either pays me $40 for his wood or he would cut a lot of wood for me for his pay. he cuts and brings it home to be split. i say it sounds fair to me. 
if he gets a whole cord thats a couple hundred worth of heat. good deal to me.
Detroit WHAT?

windy hill farm

Oh and you don't supply the beer too, now you need to go buy a mill so you can mill this guy some lumber and build him a wood shed :D Some people just don't get it. But I'm sure the guy will be there to help with the next tax bill.
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

Woodboogah

You are being extremely generous and he obviously has no appreciation for you trying to help him in a tough spot.  I would be weary, especially if he gets hurt using your stuff.  Tell him to screw if he cant understand how generous you are being.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

justallan1

The way I'm reading this is 2 guys processing 3 cords = his efforts are getting 1.5 cords and he's taking one of them and leaving a half cord to you. Looks to me like he's all ready getting twice as much as you.

Allan

enigmaT120

Quote from: justallan1 on March 26, 2014, 07:52:29 AM
The way I'm reading this is 2 guys processing 3 cords = his efforts are getting 1.5 cords and he's taking one of them and leaving a half cord to you. Looks to me like he's all ready getting twice as much as you.

Allan

That's what I thought, too.  If BIL isn't helping him then BIL is getting a great deal.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

rasman57

I am wondering about the struck deal.  Was that with your friend or face to face with the man?  You sure are helping him out and he either does not get it or really is simple and self centered.   

I would ask him if he is still happy with the deal and see what he says.   He either tells you what you heard, tells you something different or maybe something new and you get to clear the air.  Sometimes it is a perception problem and sometimes you just have a person that has fouled up every good thing that has come their way. 

I would not rely on "he said" though.  I would just ask him face to face. Perhaps you would be giving him some much needed guidance.... or letting him continue to be a bust out if that applies.   

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: nastcat on March 25, 2014, 07:03:35 PM
thecfarm, My BIL thinks everthing is fine, it is just the other guy is starting to think it is not fair. The equipment they are using is my saws, my splitter, my dump trailer, my one ton dually, and the old iron mule.

sounds like a recipe for disaster. I don't lend out anything with an engine.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Alcranb

Quote from: rasman57 on March 26, 2014, 01:42:46 PM

I would ask him if he is still happy with the deal and see what he says.   He either tells you what you heard, tells you something different or maybe something new and you get to clear the air.  Sometimes it is a perception problem and sometimes you just have a person that has fouled up every good thing that has come their way. 

I would not rely on "he said" though.  I would just ask him face to face. Perhaps you would be giving him some much needed guidance.... or letting him continue to be a bust out if that applies.

If it's not in writing it doesn't exist!  Believe you me I not only have the T shirt I've got the scars $$$ to prove it.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Thank You Sponsors!