iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Retipping hints

Started by Qweaver, March 25, 2014, 04:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Time to develop a new skill.  Hit a cluster of nails with the swinger.  Guess I'll read the instruction that came with the re-tipping jig and give it a go.  I should have seen these nails on the surface of the log but the were down low and I missed them.   Any hints?  I've done a lot of silver soldering so that is not a problem...proper alignment may be.  Dratted metal!  :'(
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

backwoods sawyer

Good magifacation and a steady hand will help.
The set up I have used was for thin kerf edger saws and had a micro camera that zoomed in to show just one tooth at a time, took a steady hand to hold the tip in place while the machine sodered it in place but you could retip a whole stack of saws by lunch time and run them tru the side grinder in the afternoon. When you are done and one tip looks off, just reset it.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ET

Please keep us up to speed on your progress as my mill came with 4 blades 2 years ago. 2 of them are getting iffy with being chipped pretty good. 2 are still like new. I still have not figured out what to do when the time comes. You figure it out then I will come visit as I previously promised. Lol!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Qweaver

I bought the re-tipping jig so this should be easy.  I just have not tried it yet and I'm looking for hints from those that have done it.  Bring your blades and tips and we'll fix yours while I do mine tomorrow.  Too cold today.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ET

Thanks, but I wont be close to Weston until next deer season. You should have it mastered by then. Good luck.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!