iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS590 first run.

Started by Andyshine77, March 24, 2014, 09:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyshine77

Ran my 590 this passed weekend and I was quite impressed with how it ran, plenty of power with a simple MM. I didn't have another 60cc saw to run it against, but it felt every bit as strong as my MS362, if not stronger with the mm. Quality is quite good, but the thing I like best is the simplicity of the overall design, it's extremely easy to work on. Why Stihl and Husky started making saws with integrated on off choke controls I'll never know.The only downside is the weight, feels more like a 70cc saw. IMHO it's the best value firewood saw out there right now.

I honestly don't see any real reason for a firewood cutter to choose a 60cc Stihl or Husky over the Echo, well support may be a factor for some.

Made a quick video of her first run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrpbZM5X_k0&list=UUDzYN6LbndM64YHQp_JOb4Q&feature=share
Andre.

ladylake

And it should pick up quite a bit when broken in.  For $400 how can anyone buy a mid range Husky or Stihl.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rob5073

Did you buy it from a big box retailer or a dealer? After the MM how much tuning did it need and did the limiters affect the tuning?

SlimJim

Great review, thanks! I use this on the filter, and a little grease around the filter connection with the carb.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-fiber-filter-oil

It's a red spray oil specially for fiber filters. I clean filter with mineral spirits.
Now if Echo would just make something like this in 90+ cc.

Andyshine77

Quote from: SlimJim on March 25, 2014, 10:57:10 AM
Great review, thanks! I use this on the filter, and a little grease around the filter connection with the carb.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-fiber-filter-oil

It's a red spray oil specially for fiber filters. I clean filter with mineral spirits.
Now if Echo would just make something like this in 90+ cc.

I use a similar product from K&N, may even be the same product.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Quote from: Rob5073 on March 25, 2014, 09:04:13 AM
Did you buy it from a big box retailer or a dealer? After the MM how much tuning did it need and did the limiters affect the tuning?

Home Depot. The saw was really lean on the low side, and was as far open as the limiters would allow. The high speed mixture was set just about right. The MM did effect tuning quite a bit, the saws muffler is very restrictive. I completely deleted the tube in the muffler and removed the 90° turn in the deflector. However I'm still using the deflector and screen, the muffler looks stock.   

Here's how I opened up the muffler.     

http://youtu.be/pahXpy6Pbms
Andre.

ladylake

Nice vid and a good job, the 2 biggest downsides with Echo saws are a clogged up muff and lean tuning.  If not taken care of you wont think much of them but once fixed they run good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Andyshine77

Quote from: ladylake on March 26, 2014, 06:15:30 PM
Nice vid and a good job, the 2 biggest downsides with Echo saws are a clogged up muff and lean tuning.  If not taken care of you wont think much of them but once fixed they run good.  Steve

And the new ones run real well.
Andre.

jargo432

Man I gotta get one of those.  But I gotta ask what is a MM?
Jack of all trades.

celliott

Muffler Mod(ification)

Involves making a muffler flow more freely (bigger/extra holes, remove baffles) thus allowing more exhaust out, a power increase, and the saw to run cooler. At the expense however, of a louder saw and probably increased fuel consumption.
Some saws benefit more, like these echos ladylake and andyshine rave about  :) because they have pretty choked up mufflers.
That about cover it guys?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Andyshine77

Quote from: celliott on March 26, 2014, 10:45:52 PM
Muffler Mod(ification)

Involves making a muffler flow more freely (bigger/extra holes, remove baffles) thus allowing more exhaust out, a power increase, and the saw to run cooler. At the expense however, of a louder saw and probably increased fuel consumption.
Some saws benefit more, like these echos ladylake and andyshine rave about  :) because they have pretty choked up mufflers.
That about cover it guys?

Pretty much sums it up.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Andre.

ladylake

Andyshine77

I had a chance to compare my MM CS-590 vs a ported 361. The 361 in the video below has had quite a bit of work done to it, and has ran well against other ported 60cc saws in cant races and otherwise. The echo may be the best bang for the buck I've seen, when it comes to power per dollar spent.. I'd like to run it against a stock ms362 or even a 562xp. Now the Echo doesn't have the rpm's the other saws do out of the wood, but it seems to like a heavy hand, nice wide power band.

The 361 was constantly faster and both saws were tuned a bit rich. The Echo sounds more rich than it really is do to how the rpm's are limited. Both saws would gain a bit with a little tuning, but we're not talking big numbers. Not every cut was made to be as fast as possible, as I was testing the power bands as well as speed, same with the other operator. Both chains were fresh, but as you can see the bar lengths are different. This was not a scientific test. It is what it is.

The echo's fastest time. 4.88 slowest time 6.05
The Stihl. 3.76 and 4.93

In bigger wood the 361 would likely pull away. Nevertheless the Echo is quite impressive.

http://youtu.be/qHHeHqKnAUg
Andre.

ladylake

( but it seems to like a heavy hand, nice wide power band.)

That's why I like running them .   Steve

7sleeper

Sure is an impressive video for a homeowner saw!

Andyshine77

Homeowner price, but she ain't no homeowner saw.
Andre.

ladylake

Pro saw all the way except for the plastic handle which even some pro Stihls have. Best buy out there by far.  Steve

clockworks

Hi, first post! Just wanted to say thanks for the vids, i enjoyed them. I just picked up my cs590 last friday. Cant wait to get it in some wood!  :) Greg

Andyshine77

Welcome. Have fun, stay safe, keep the chain out of the dirt and keep it sharp.
Andre.

SawTroll

I fail to see why anyone cares - but each to their own!   :)
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Quote from: SawTroll on April 01, 2014, 03:53:03 AM

Because it's a well built pro grade saw for 400 bucks.. So far the saw hasn't had any hot starting, poor execration, loose case screws, or any of the other issues the new husky's have had lately.
Andre.

Ianab

Exactly, seems like a decent saw for a decent price. Lots of folks are looking for a saw like that for firewood and part time use.

Might not set the chainsaw world on fire, but it looks like a good solid tool, at a good price. Sort of like a Toyota Corolla of the chainsaw world? Nothing exotic, but it just works. So it's worth looking at.

So it won't beat a tuned up MS36x, but at least it's in the same ballpark.  ;)  Probably match a MS31x? But it's cheaper... Take that out cutting firewood and you need not be embarrassed.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

7sleeper

Quote from: Andyshine77 on April 01, 2014, 04:49:12 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on April 01, 2014, 03:53:03 AM

Because it's a well built pro grade saw for 400 bucks.. So far the saw hasn't had any hot starting, poor execration, loose case screws, or any of the other issues the new husky's have had lately.
:D

That was excellent! Thanks!

petefrom bearswamp

Very informative thread, thanks
Is this the successor to the CS600P?
I like mine but as I have posted before the only issue is that the bar works loose every tank of fuel.
After reading this thread, i plan to do a MM on my 600 and to re tune as i think i am running TOO lean.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!