iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me answer a question.

Started by luvmexfood, March 24, 2014, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

I work part-time for one of the major lawn and garden chemical companies. Saturday I was working in a store when asked a similiar question twice. One kept saying a tree but the more we discussed it it was a stump. The other was a dead tree with a treehouse in it.

Anyway, I know our company has only regular insecticide but both their questions were is there anything you can spray on the bark of a dead tree to stop any further insect damage that is inside the bark.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

BaldBob

The smart alec answer is yes - Gasoline, deisel or similar while you burn up the stump. That will stop all further insect activity under the bark. The practical answer is no. I don't know of any compound that will penetrate the bark and all the wood of a standing dead tree (stump)that will prevent further insect activity on that object.

Ianab

Well nothing that you can buy legally, or would want to be spraying around your back yard anyway.... ;)

You don't want to create the next EPA cleanup zone...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tj240

once the insects are in it its over they will stay and why keep a dead tree
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Jeff

I'd remove any lose bark and start a spray regimen and spray with liquid sevin. That stuff kills almost everything that crawls or flies. Almost any insect that lives in a tree emerges in one form or another at some point.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

TJ, since your in maple country, you know full well that a sugar maple yard tree will stand in a yard until the last bit of life is gone. Often you have a 10 foot half rotten stub, with one or two main side branches with a few leaves that hang on to life for fall color. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

luvmexfood

Well the one customer had a treehouse in it and wanted to save it. I'm thinking dangerous.

Second woman was explaining about her flower bed around the tree and thinking it has termites. After 5 minutes of this I asked how big the tree was. She said oh about 30 inches. Oh I said so you mean a stump. Yes she was blond.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!