iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ Fieldays 04

Started by Ianab, June 19, 2004, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

NZ Agricultural Fieldays have just finished, here's a few pictures that I got between and during the rain...

Kelv was in his element in the Stihl tent, and yes that is a NEW 090AV... I'm not sure if the number the salesman mentioned was the price or his phone number :o

On to the Peterson display  8) , the boys set up so they could saw and offload the ASM from their tent. They still had to go out in the rain to roll new logs on though.

Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber set up to cut full width slabs from a large rimu log

This is a portable 2 blade circle mill from Rimu Manufacturing, they also had a much bigger fully hydralic semi-portable machine.

This is the Mahoe Minimax, another fairly portable twin circle blade mill.

This is the Lucas Dedicted Slabber, this one has been modified to cut super thick slabs, I think up to 14" thick.
Here they were slabbing up an old Kauri log. The section of log had been left in the bush since the tree was felled in 1911 :o
It had a large knot and a hole in one side so had been dumped, not worth hauling out for firewood even. However they had plenty of takers for the slabs, a bargin at only $500 each :o

Closeup of one of the slabs, remember this log has been left in the bush for over 90 years.

I'll let Jake tell the story of the Nail Strike while he was demonstrating the thin kerf blade :o >:(  Ouch

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KiwiJake

I did see you there Ian, I was tryin to get those logs milled up so I could get home! Did you like the zing that thin blade made while it cuts? I loved the sound of it.

In total I struck three logs with around 4-5 nails in each, right at the centre of the logs. The mill wasn't going slow as it approached them either so you can imagine the sparks.

I guess yu missed the dedicated slabber demo, set the automatic feed and walk away for a coffee while it does the work. "Jerry" the log owner sold almost every single slab of Rimu he had for around 500 each!

We've managed to get some specs from the thin blade.
20-35% more production speed from our standard blade.
20% more recovery.
Still working on the fuel economy.

There is hardly any drag from this blade, no need to slow down at the end of the slab to get the last few boards.

The old band vs circular "kerf" debates been shuffled a little I wreckin.

Anyways I'll get some pics loaded up soon. cheers.

iain

good idea with the tent shame you had such bad weather as its normally sunney int it ;)
liked the auto slabber bit how long to cut a slab how wide and length etc

Ianab

June is Mid Winter here... rain is kinda expected.

I did see one of the Ziiiiinnngggg---Bangs  :o
Not the fault of the thin keft blade, hitting a nail is bad whatever you are driving
Umm... I didn't time either of the slabbers, I guess it really depends what you are slabbing. Both are going to take a couple of minutes to chew thru a decent log... but the results are worth it..

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

iain

im hopeing to have time in 6 weeks on the way to edinburgh to call in on the only peterson slabber in the uk the owner dont seem to use it to much so i think ill take some coinage with me just in case ;)

KiwiJake

Heres some more pics, we had a great site this year with the help of Bryce's nice furniture and Jerry's lovely Rimu logs, both own one of our mills. Bryce attracted some of the crowd with his chainsaw carving.

Also there's a pic of the thin blade up close to give you an idea of the kerf, the sawdust is like straw.

Got to see a Mizer super hydraulic up close, first time I've seen them demo at the fieldays.

In total I milled up 70 pine logs ranging from 8" to 16" in diameter on the ASM, got some great recovery from them too with that thin blade.

HORSELOGGER

Hey Jake, In that last picture, whats with the the little green car trying to go down that hill :o Was it really as steep as it looks ???
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Kevin_H.

Now theres some nice looking 2 x 4 's, now all we need to do is rip'm in to stakes and point'em.  ;D

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Ianab

the Hill is actually steeper than it looks, I think the little 4wd was winched up there. I didn't bother climbing up to check ::)

Thank You Sponsors!