iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Layout Knife

Started by Rooster, March 24, 2014, 01:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

I like to use a knife for doing my layout on beams and for marking lumber for sawing... I seldom use a pencil.  I have used many different folding and fixed blade knives, but I wanted to design something different for a couple of up-coming projects.  And since I really only use the tip of the knife, I didn't need to have very large blade.  (Disclaimer: I am not a blacksmith, or a bladesmith, I just like to design and make custom tools to use on the job.)

I started by putting my ideas into drawing form and then adjusted the design as progressive versions.

I used an old 10"table saw blade and cut out the profile.

I used some walnut for the handle.  It is patterned after a palm awl and made to fit inside the user's hand.  Some brass pins and epoxy...then on to the belt-sander...finished sanding by hand and some oil...and it's ready to go to work...

Peace, Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Looks great, how does it work for you?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Rooster

It feels really nice in the hand...I was shooting for ergonomic to help with comfort and control...it's also sharp, and easily re-sharpened since there is only 3/4" of blade edge to mess with...it can be used right or left handed, and can be stuck into a work piece and made to stand up straight.  I'm using an older utility knife sheath, but I hope to make something more custom and secure...maybe have a safety snapped strap when I'm not actively using it and walking around the job-site or shop...I don't want to have it fall out and lose it in the mud...

The ironic part is that it's made from a saw blade and a piece of sawn lumber...but designed and used to mark lumber, to be sawn...

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

giant splinter

Rooster,
That looks like a well engineered layout knife for sure and good use of an old sawblade, nice work and I bet its doing a good job for you.
roll with it

Brad_bb

The handle is Walnut, no?  How do the brass pins hold the handle on?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brian_Weekley

Rooster, great job on that homemade prison weapon, er, ah, I mean timber frame marking tool...  ;)  Seriously, nice looking. 
e aho laula

Rooster

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 24, 2014, 10:53:43 AM
The handle is Walnut, no?  How do the brass pins hold the handle on?

The brass pins help align all the pieces when they are sandwiched together...epoxy is used to laminate the layers...the pins are a backup if it de-laminates...

Thanks for the feedback...

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brad_bb

Yeah, Rooster is covered if he ends up in prison (wrongly convicted of course).
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

classicadirondack

What  did you use to cut the steel?

Rooster

Quote from: classicadirondack on March 25, 2014, 06:52:57 AM
What  did you use to cut the steel?

I used a cutting wheel on a 4" hand held grinder to rough out the shape, then a grinding disk and a flap wheel sanding disk to shape it to size. Total time to cut out the shape: 6 min.
Mike Rowe

Rooster

sawmilllawyer

Really nice work there Rooster.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

addicted

Great knife Rooster
Your handle looks a lot like a some carving handles. Have you found that shorter, stocky shape to be comfortable?
Rusty

Rooster

Quote from: addicted on March 27, 2014, 09:18:36 AM
Great knife Rooster
Your handle looks a lot like a some carving handles. Have you found that shorter, stocky shape to be comfortable?
Rusty

Yes, it feels very comfortable like a carving tool...the only thing that I would change so far is shortening the distance from the tip of my index finger to the tip of the knife...the longer that distance, the harder it is to zero in on a particular mark on my tape when marking for length...but other than that it's now my go-to tool...it also double as a utility knife and conversation piece...
Mike Rowe

Rooster

RavensWood

Looks great Rooster. Just curious - is the cutting edge a single bevel or a double bevel? Most striking knives are a single bevel, utility knives are double. I use both but for laying out joints I tend to reach for the utility knife - not sure why. When I am making furniture I almost always use the single bevel knife.

Rooster

As of this posting, I have it as a double bevel...but I want to re-sharpen it to a single and see if I like it more or less.  I'm right handed...any suggestion on which way I should bevel?..Flat side to the left/bevel on the right?...or the other way around?

Thanks,
Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

RavensWood

Definitely bevel to the right. The idea is to produce a right angle cut against the guide - which you would be holding with your left hand. Double or single - I'm not sure whether it really matters - depends on what you get used to. If you hold a double bevel knife at an angle you still end up with a right angle cut against the guide. With furniture making you are sometimes following a piece thicker than a ruler and the right angle blade then does a better job. As a side note - I 've always enjoyed your postings and you have sort of inspired me to try to join the group rather than just stand back and listen (and the same comment about inspiration goes out to all of the people that post here regularly).

Rooster

Quote from: RavensWood on March 28, 2014, 10:27:02 PM
Definitely bevel to the right. The idea is to produce a right angle cut against the guide - which you would be holding with your left hand. Double or single - I'm not sure whether it really matters - depends on what you get used to. If you hold a double bevel knife at an angle you still end up with a right angle cut against the guide. With furniture making you are sometimes following a piece thicker than a ruler and the right angle blade then does a better job. As a side note - I 've always enjoyed your postings and you have sort of inspired me to try to join the group rather than just stand back and listen (and the same comment about inspiration goes out to all of the people that post here regularly).

I just clicked on the "like" button...

Thanks RavensWood!

Peace,
Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

razor

Fine looking tool for sure. You've inspired me to make my own.
How did the bending of the steel go? No issues with cracking?

Rooster

Quote from: razor on March 29, 2014, 08:11:37 AM
Fine looking tool for sure. You've inspired me to make my own.
How did the bending of the steel go? No issues with cracking?

I wanted to use my forge to heat up the steel, but I decided to use the bed of coals in the wood-stove...it glowed yellow, and then I used a wide mouth visegrip and a linesman pliers to bend over the tab.  After I finished grinding it to shape I heated it up again to quench, then it spent 4 hours at 600 deg. in the oven.  Cleaned it up and was ready for the handle, which was pinned and epoxyed together...
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Thank You Sponsors!