iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to purchace a lt15go

Started by Weasel, March 23, 2014, 10:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weasel

I have chosen the lt15go with power feed, had a chance to see a lt28 in operation and now don't know if my choice is the right one.

My plan is to use the mill for personal use primarily but would like to try to make a few bucks also. My gut says that the 15 is good enough but that bigger machine was sure nice but a lot more money.

Any thoughts?

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry forum, Weasel.  Bigger is always better, but everyone has to stay within their means.  Bells, whistles, and hydraulics are nice and for higher production are required.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Small Slick

I bought the lt15 with the power feed a few months ago. I strongly considered the GO package. However I felt for the money I could build a better trailer. I think I was right; I built a very nice trailer with my dad.

Keep in mind my dad is VERY talented with metal fab and we have the facility and tools. In two average days in the shop the saw was road ready; and SO much better than being without a trailer.

I didn't care for the jacks on the go package or the price tag. That being said it is engineered by Woodmizer and I'm sure it is done well. I do really like mine however.

As Magicman mentioned bigger is better. Bigger costs more!!  Bigger is generally less labor intensive.

John

The power feed is a must in my opinion.

thecfarm

Weasel,welcome to the forum. We love to spend other members money.  ;D  Just depends on what you plan on doing with it. Most times I say bigger. I have a manual mill and only saw for myself. I have no trailer package,so if someone wants me to saw for them,they have to bring me the logs. Than I quote some high sawing price.after I tell them I don't saw for others. I just don't have the time to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MAI

Welcome to the Forum Weasel,
Keep asking the questions.  There is a wealth of knowledge from our members. I can't give you any advice on choosing a mill, just insuring one.

I try to put things into perspective, in the grand scheme of things is the additional cost worth it or not.
Having been in the income property business for over 32 years and doing most of my own work, there were times where I wish I had spent the extra money for certain pieces of equipment.  It would have saved me a lot of time and additional work/money to complete a job.   You'll make the right decision.
Best to you,               

Weasel

I ordered the go package. I appreciate the valuable info and look forward to many hours of milling. I will post pics once it arrives

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Congratulations.  The LT15 is a great machine.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

morgoon

i am excited to hear about your first bit of sawdust.
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

thecfarm

I did forget to ask,what's the plan for the lumber. Can you update your profile with the state you live in?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerBrown

Welcome, Weasel! 

Trust me, it won't be long until you'll need to find a local chapter of SA (Sawyers Anonymous), where you'll be required to say, "Hi, my name is Weasel, and I am an addict ..."
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Weasel

So the unit is ready to be picked up without the power feed, I originally told them I wanted it to be installed by wm as I would likely mess it up. Has anyone has experience with installing the power feed option on a lt15?

Magicman

I have not, but I have installed several options on my sawmill.  The wires have always been stored exactly as the instructions stated, and the installations have been very well documented.  I would not be concerned.

WDH

The power feed is relatively simple to install. It will take you about 30 minutes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!