iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1965 Iron Mule forwarder, model 2200

Started by babysister, March 23, 2014, 09:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babysister

Hi Guys:
I need to buy a forwarder for my brother. I cannot ask him as he would not allow me to purchase equipment for him. He has relied on his back and chainsaw. He will not stop. He has severe osteoporosis which is the result of his cancer treatments. He could cause severe injury to himself lifting.
There is a 1965 Iron Mule forwarder, model 2200 for sale. The seller is a private party who has stated that it was used for firewood. The price is $8,250 and $1,500 shipping. I know nothing of equipment.   
I cannot stop my brother from logging, as he has been supplying wood to the elderly for over two decades.
He has never charged for the wood or delivery, so it is not a business decision. He is just a great brother, and a good person. I do not want to waste the money. Should I purchase a more costly machine?
There is no information available on the internet regarding the 1965 Gafner, model 2200,  Iron Mule forwarder. I realize that it is 50 years old. The sell claims it is in good shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Guys
Best Regards
Little Sister

[/i]

[

thecfarm

babysisiter,welcome to the forum. If I had a sister I would want it to be just like you. And a brother just like the one you are trying to help too. Two nice people in one family. Probably will need some work to it. It is old,BUT who knows. Where is it located? Maybe a member close to look at it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terry f

That's one of the nicest things I've read.

47sawdust

Great thought,great sister.Iron that old may be more of a project than one wants to get in to.If it is a local sale I would suggest finding someone you trust with experience to look the machine over.
Good luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

babysister

You guys are too kind. I am embarrassed! Thank you for the gracious compliments but I am now a simple country girl. My mother and father, whom I loved and cherished, instilled a work ethic, and the love a simple life. I enjoy being a woman, and appreciate having a door open for me.  I have a great love of family, and I am blessed with good neighbors who happen to be mostly elderly and depend on me, so that they can remain independent and live in their homes. I never tire of listening to their live stories which is simply local history. Most were loggers and miners. They all loved the woods, in a time long gone when our country was great and the people were proud. It was a time when a person's word was backed by honor, and as good as gold.
I love my dog. I am now a simple country girl who knows true contentment. Like everyone, I just need enough money to pay my bills, and take care of those I cherish.
I wish you guys were my neighbors!
Thank you for all the courtesy and accommodation that you are extending to me.
The Iron Mule is 50 years old. I was told that The skidder is approximately 22 feet long, so the arm reaches from the front to the back.  It is a 1965 Iron Mule forwarder, model 2200, which they say has a reconditioned boom on it.  They said the hoses are in average condition, the tires are fair condition (they are tubeless.) Is the machine too old, or too expensive for the year? I Have a picture but do not know how to post the picture, as the instructions state that pictures should not be placed in the attachment option.
I believe the machine is located in Naubinway Michigan. Again, thank you ever so much for the hospitality, and your advice is greatly appreciated.

saltydog

Hello.I live about 30 miles from there .I would be happy to go look at it for you.I have been around forestry equipment most of my life.If you would like me to look at it Pm me the contact info.You are right there are some good people on this site. Have a great day.Tim
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

luvmexfood

Quote from: saltydog on April 24, 2014, 09:54:16 PM
Hello.I live about 30 miles from there .I would be happy to go look at it for you.I have been around forestry equipment most of my life.If you would like me to look at it Pm me the contact info.You are right there are some good people on this site. Have a great day.Tim

Your a good man.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

ffskidder

Quote from: babysister on March 23, 2014, 09:40:26 PM
Hi Guys:
I need to buy a forwarder for my brother. I cannot ask him as he would not allow me to purchase equipment for him. He has relied on his back and chainsaw. He will not stop. He has severe osteoporosis which is the result of his cancer treatments. He could cause severe injury to himself lifting.
There is a 1965 Iron Mule forwarder, model 2200 for sale. The seller is a private party who has stated that it was used for firewood. The price is $8,250 and $1,500 shipping. I know nothing of equipment.   
I cannot stop my brother from logging, as he has been supplying wood to the elderly for over two decades.
He has never charged for the wood or delivery, so it is not a business decision. He is just a great brother, and a good person. I do not want to waste the money. Should I purchase a more costly machine?
There is no information available on the internet regarding the 1965 Gafner, model 2200,  Iron Mule forwarder. I realize that it is 50 years old. The sell claims it is in good shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Guys
Best Regards
Little Sister

[/i]

[We will be at the cabin next weekend.....would love to have someone come and look at the skidder for you.  My husband rebuilt it 20 years ago and he used it for what your brother wants to do....it is smaller than most skidders and really works well.  He has extra hoses and parts that he will include.  My husband would like you and your brother to come and he would show you how to use and ask any questions that you have.  While I am up there will see if someone would deliver it to you for less than 1500.  You wouldn't be disappointed.  Jenny

Quote from: babysister on March 24, 2014, 06:19:21 PM
You guys are too kind. I am embarrassed! Thank you for the gracious compliments but I am now a simple country girl. My mother and father, whom I loved and cherished, instilled a work ethic, and the love a simple life. I enjoy being a woman, and appreciate having a door open for me.  I have a great love of family, and I am blessed with good neighbors who happen to be mostly elderly and depend on me, so that they can remain independent and live in their homes. I never tire of listening to their live stories which is simply local history. Most were loggers and miners. They all loved the woods, in a time long gone when our country was great and the people were proud. It was a time when a person's word was backed by honor, and as good as gold.
I love my dog. I am now a simple country girl who knows true contentment. Like everyone, I just need enough money to pay my bills, and take care of those I cherish.
I wish you guys were my neighbors!
Thank you for all the courtesy and accommodation that you are extending to me.
The Iron Mule is 50 years old. I was told that The skidder is approximately 22 feet long, so the arm reaches from the front to the back.  It is a 1965 Iron Mule forwarder, model 2200, which they say has a reconditioned boom on it.  They said the hoses are in average condition, the tires are fair condition (they are tubeless.) Is the machine too old, or too expensive for the year? I Have a picture but do not know how to post the picture, as the instructions state that pictures should not be placed in the attachment option.
I believe the machine is located in Naubinway Michigan. Again, thank you ever so much for the hospitality, and your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You Sponsors!