iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

installing crank seals

Started by Jim H, March 23, 2014, 09:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim H

I've probably put in a half dozen or so over the years, but they usually try to go in crooked. The small ones seem to be the worst. I use a socket the size of the seal OD and try to tap them gently. I haven't ruined any seals yet, but just wondered if there was a method or trick I was missing?
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Al_Smith

Well you have to tap it in square is about all I can add .

joe_indi

To make sure the seat/lip does not get bent, what I do is use a bit of x-ray film as a sleeve. I slide the sleeve (oiled or greased) onto the shaft and then slide the seal down over it till it reaches its seat.For tapping it in, I have a couple of old rim sprockets. On smaller seals I use the old one as a driver with a suitable sized socket to tap it down.I gently pull out the film. Job done!

bandmiller2

Seems with all seal installations line everything up and give it a good wack,  little tappy things and they always go in crooked. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

A very good point using film to "shoe spoon" the seal lip .I've found that to be true on a majority of Husqvarna saws which have a squareish type shoulder the seal rides on .Stihls usually aren't that bad but the film still might be a good practice to use .

Bilge Rat

Would 35mm film strips work also?
I have some old negatives, X rays are expensive and my fishing buddy doctor looked at me funny when i asked him for some x rays!

joe_indi

The transparent film that comes on the new Stihl saw chain boxes are ideal for the job.35mm fim will not work that well.Any sheet that is thin like photographic or X ray film is good.
Too thin and it tears. Too thick the seal gets too tight to move on the shaft.
Even a synthetic visiting card is good enough. Cut bottom end so that there is no overlap around the shaft.

Thank You Sponsors!