iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Have Declared WAR

Started by WDH, March 23, 2014, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Kinda like shooting snakes in the house.  There is reciprocal damage.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

We don't seem to have carpenter bees here. Our bumble bees will nest in a wall of a building though, but don't chew wood. For that we have carpenter ants. ;D I've never seen them attack hard sound wood though, just bad sills and dry rot.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Delawhere Jack

Traps won't kill the queen, she stays in the nest in the woods.

Phosgene gas baby!  smiley_devil

LaneC

The woodpeckers hear the larvae and tear out the wood until they get them. They do a lot of damage. Got 15 yesterday with bad mitten racket and dad got 12. The traps {from what I have studied} need to be stable where they won't swing and put on the sides of the building with the most sunlight The biggest thing is that the hole has to be drilled at an angle {to prevent water from entering}. Once infested they come back to the same place the next year. You tube has an older gentleman who shows how to make them. I hate these things. Several years ago I had to tear down my whole shed because they did so much damage, and then the woodpeckers would hang upside down and sound like a machine gun at daylight trying to get them. Hope you win the war.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Freedom6178

We bought an electric bug zapper that looks like a tennis racket only cost a few bucks. Push the button on the handle and when you swing it zaps most any bug pretty good (just dont hit yourself or anyone next to ya don't ask how I know ::)) We have two of em at the property in the UP. We keep one near by whenever we are sitting outside relaxing..
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

customsawyer

I have several of the traps on my house and they seem to work pretty good. The more bees in them the better they seem to work, so I don't empty mine.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

That makes sense, a good measure of success. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Haven't caught any yet  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gfadvm

Those Georgia bees may be smarter than the Alabama bees!

DanG

I fought a battle in this war yesterday, but emerged victorious. ;D

A few days ago, one of Linda's cats caught a carpenter bee that was buzzing against the window in the den.  I wasn't surprised, since she leaves the door open for the cats to come and go sometimes. Next day, the same cat caught another one in the same window.  Yesterday, she caught another one, then another and another, all in the same place.  It turns out that this window is the one right beside my firewood rack.  In it, I found a big chunk of Devilwood(Pecan) with several large galleries where the bees were hatching out or emerging from hibernation, not sure which.  I declared fireplace season to be officially over at that point and removed all firewood from in and around the house. :snowball:
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

PC-Urban-Sawyer

DanG,

Sounds like time to have a BBQ using that firewood!

I'm sure the extra protean in the smoke would add an interesting flavor...

Herb

DanG

Been thinking about using it to smoke a housecat, Herb.  ;) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Wild Bill and I are in Tenn. We got a bunch of them here getting behind the cedar shake wall. Been spraying them as I see one. Can't afford the .22 ammo to shoot them this year.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

I have only caught about 10, but there are not as many around this year so far for some reason. 

Magicman

For sure there is 10 less than last year.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

And I still haven't caught a single one!

customsawyer

I have enough for both of us so don't worry about your numbers going down.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

They are not going extinct, that is for sure.

ely

I spray the eaves or whatever they are boring into with malathion and or diazanon. the next day there is a whole pile of them laying out there.

wildbill

badmitton rackets.  we were running out of boring bees to get with the rackets.  if you twack them hard enough you cut them in half
Raider Bill's favorite son

Weekend_Sawyer

It seems like they are worse around my barn than ever.
I hate to kill them but I'd hate it worse if my barn fell down... again.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

CJennings

Time to build an all stone exterior home down there where those bees are.

I'd take those carpenter bees over yellow jackets or bald faced hornets.

beenthere

Quote from: CJennings on April 21, 2015, 03:29:43 PM
Time to build an all stone exterior home down there where those bees are.

I'd take those carpenter bees over yellow jackets or bald faced hornets.

I'm weird.. I'm happy we don't have the carpenter bees... and I'm okay with having yellow jackets and bald faced hornets.
I don't bother them, they don't bother me.  But sounds like the carpenter bees eat a lot of wood, which would bother me.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CJennings

The yellow jackets just seem to love the eaves of my home, so by mid-summer it's quite an "adventure" coming and going. It doesn't seem to matter how many times you kill them and destroy the nests, more fill in.

beenthere

Those might be wasps instead of yellow jackets.
Wasps have the hanging honeycomb-like circular nest. Not as mean as a yellow jacket. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!